Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  12:17:37  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
In a "can you top this?" sort game, describe here the oddest combination of items you've ever seen being purchased by someone in a regular supermarket. You've gotta list all of the items the person was buying, not just select a few to make a strange combo. For example, one of my in-laws said yesterday that he'd seen a guy in line at the checkout with nothing but a six-pack of beer and a turkey baster, but that's not so odd at this time of year.

Somewhere around 20 years ago, though, I was in line in front of a guy who was buying ten pounds of stick margarine and a roll of breath mints, and nothing else. I have no idea what he was planning.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  14:36:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I don't know quite what to do with this. I've never paid much attention to someone else's shopping cart; only wished I'd gotten in line with my small purchases ahead of them.

I have recieved some odd glances at my blood sausage, limburger, and hot pepper items, however. Once, when I bought 40 pounds of sugar, I was asked if I was doing some big-time pickling. I replied that I was making wine. Actually, I was about to ferment corn & potato mash intending to make a couple of gallons of twice-distilled 'shine for the M/C's Christmas party. Came out pretty good, too (yes, I have a small 'still and know how to use it. The tradition lives on).

Hmm. I once saw an enormous woman with a cart heaping full of nothing but store-brand cola and other, various pogie-bait. It wasn't funny, but rather sad. Sadder yet, I've seen similar more than once.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  14:50:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
filthy, the only times I've seen a person with a cart full of 2-liter soda bottles was right before a hurricane was supposed to hit us, and the store had already run out of bottled water.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  15:00:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
The strangest I ever saw was someone with a cart full of toilet paper and an absurd quantity of milk... and that was it.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  15:18:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

filthy, the only times I've seen a person with a cart full of 2-liter soda bottles was right before a hurricane was supposed to hit us, and the store had already run out of bottled water.

This gal had not only belly-wash but cakes and those various, packaged things like Little Debbie's. Also candy. I'm sure there was some real food in the mix, but I didn't see it. It caught my notice because of the sheer volume of the, let's face it, crap.

There was no hurricane anywhere on the map.

And it is not uncommon, although I've never seen so much at one time. This sort of thing catchs the eye due to it's utter adnormality. We all like a little sweet garbage now and then, but ye gods!

I gots a Snickers bar in the freezer. After I finally digest the Thanksgiving pig-out I've just done, I might have that bad boy. Maybe tomorrow.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  15:51:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Sometimes what seems like an absurd amount of one item, or a few items might be headed for a school party or, perhaps, supplies for a day camp. I know about the school thing because Michelle has to supply her own party if she is going to have one because there is no funding for that sort of thing…

Beer usually isn't on the list however…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  21:41:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

Isn't that the truth, Dave? Over the last few years living in Baltimore, there's one thing you can count on: before either hurricanes or blizzards, people will stind in line for hours to get a dozen loaves of bread, six gallons of bottled water, and a large supply of soft drinks. How this is supposed to tide them over while nature strikes is not clear to me. After all, beer/burbon does not seen to be a part of the equation. Indeed, the massive sales in alcohol only seem to happen after the disaster has struck; not before...
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 11/25/2004 21:41:47
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  22:16:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Cuneiformist, I've said this many times: the real truth of the matter is that the first four things which sell out prior to a predicted natural disaster are eggs, toilet paper, milk and bread. Why? Obviously, natural disasters are times at which people want two things: lots of French toast, and lots of pooping. I'm sure there's a psychological doctoral thesis somewhere in that behaviour.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  04:34:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
We get runs on water here, too. It makes more sense to me to keep a couple of jugs on hand and fill them with tap water when a storm is approaching.

It's also true about the bread, but I don't recall a lot of canned goods like Dinty Moore's and canned beans being stripped from the shelves. I'd think that those should be the first to go along with salt pork and the like.

"Thou shalt not live on bread alone, you must also have peanut butter!" -- Brother Dave Gardner

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  08:22:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

Cuneiformist, I've said this many times: the real truth of the matter is that the first four things which sell out prior to a predicted natural disaster are eggs, toilet paper, milk and bread. Why? Obviously, natural disasters are times at which people want two things: lots of French toast, and lots of pooping. I'm sure there's a psychological doctoral thesis somewhere in that behaviour.

Ahhh! I never put that together before. The French toast must represent a subconcious form of surrendering to Mother Nature. Then they become scared shitless.

That's gotta ba it.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  13:09:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Nothing have I found disturbing at the market, at Mcdonalds however I saw a fat lady buy seven fillet o fishes and a DIET coke. (back when they poured drinks for you) I wanted to vomit at the thought of eating 7 fillets.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  13:29:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Shot glass and a childrens coloring book.

I was around 4-5 at the time, visiting the Statue of Liberty. I got the coloring book, and I thought that the shot glass was just small cup, I had no idea what it was really for.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 11/29/2004 13:39:23
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  13:32:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Sure ya didnt rick, damn lush preschoolers.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  14:12:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Toilet paper, Ex-Lax and a Playboy. An evening of manly pleasures ahead, I guess.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  14:47:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
What a hilarious story i am sure Dave you could probably figure that one out by now. I love to watch what people buy.Now that you mention it I will be much more awre and remember and then I will get back. Although I don't think I could top the ten pounds of stick margarine and a roll of breath mints Hilarious

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  15:26:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
OK.

1 box blush wine
1 jar crunchy peanut butter
1 box dog treats
1 package propalactics

don't ask. I went to the store hungry. Strange stuff follows me home when I'm hungry.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.