Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  07:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Time to start a new topic!!!

What is the difference between Belief and Knowledge
Are they synonymous
Does Knowledge lead to Belief
Or vice versa

Check out this definition of Belief:

3 : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence

Check out this definition of Knowledge:

2 a (1) : the fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association (2) : acquaintance with or understanding of a science, art, or technique b (1) : the fact or condition of being aware of something (2) : the range of one's information or understanding <answered to the best of my knowledge> c : the circumstance or condition of apprehending truth or fact through reasoning

Interesting

Someone once told me to leave Belief to the Religious and Knowledge to the Scientists.

What do the Skeptics think

Storm

Storm

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  08:15:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm
Check out this definition of Belief:

3 : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence

Ah, the wonders of the English language. In this case, Storm, you've picked a definition of belief that fits well in this sentence:

"I'm of the belief that Col. Mustard did it in the dining room with the wrench."

But over at Websters, there are two other definitions:

quote:
1) The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in another (e.g. My belief in you is as strong as ever.)
2) Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something (e.g. His explanation of what happened defies belief.)

In both of these definitions, there is no requirement of evidence or proof. Conversely, I found six entries for knowledge:

quote:
1) The state or fact of knowing.
2) Familiarity, awareness, or understanding gained through experience or study.
3) The sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned.
4) Learning; erudition
5) Specific information about something.
6) Carnal knowledge.

So besides the last one, which has to do with sex, most of the definitions of knowledge have to do with evidence or proof. Of course, defintion 3 includes "preceived" meaning that, strictly speaking, one would have "knowledge" of the magical pink unicorn (peace be upon his horn) by simply perceiving that it exists.

I don't know if it's helpful, but I did want to show that it's possible to play with definitions to get a word to mean what you want...
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 11/29/2004 08:17:36
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  08:37:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Helpful Soewhat? But I am still not clear on your conviction as a skeptic the difference and....

Do you Know your conviction because you Believe it to be true
or
Do you Believe your conviction because you know it to be true

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  09:11:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

Helpful Soewhat? But I am still not clear on your conviction as a skeptic the difference and....

Do you Know your conviction because you Believe it to be true
or
Do you Believe your conviction because you know it to be true

Storm, I'm not sure I have any convictions!
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  12:18:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
So what do you have?
A whole bunch of knowledge that you don't believe?
A whole bunch of beliefs that you don't know?
Nothing? Something?
As far as the other questions I had
Is there a difference between Belief and Knowledge ?
What is the difference between
I believe in God
I know that God exists
Do I believe God exists because of all the knowledge I have acquired, tested, proved about God's existence
or Do I believe God Exists because I was raised in a Lutheran Home. Not a strict one but none the less a church influenced home.
I know my answer ? What do you think my answer would be?

Storm
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  12:23:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Belief without knowledge is worthless. Belief inspired by knowledge at least has a sound foundation, but only if that knowledge is correct. Thus the argument becomes; who's version of the facts is the proper one?

I have neither belief nor faith, only an acceptence of fact and theory based upon testable evidence.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  12:35:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
So have you any testable evidenve on God? If not have you tried or do you rely on others to guide your judgement. You don't want to be a true believer? I could have fell into that as I was being raised. My belief in God is not the same as when I was a child. I have aquired much more knowledge. I have satisfied many quests in my search. I cannot say though that my childhood influence of the Lutheran theolgy has not had some affect on my belief and my knowledge of God.
So then would I be predisposed to believing ?
Some Skeptics and scientists would think so

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  12:39:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I try not to believe, I try to think instead. Sometimes I fail, but the goal is to rid myself of beliefs.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  12:47:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Why must you rid yourself of beliefs? Belief is the ultimated knowledge!!!

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  12:56:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:

Belief is something we think to be true, but it is not necessarly knowledge. Knowledge (to me) is based on experimentation and hard facts. Belief is was we want to be true, but it is not always based on Knowledge (experimentation and hard facts). When something you belief to be true is countered by knowledge and you pick the belief over knowledge, then you are in denial of how the world is.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  12:58:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

So what do you have?
A whole bunch of knowledge that you don't believe?
A whole bunch of beliefs that you don't know?
Nothing? Something?

(The little winky-face () means that I'm kidding)

quote:
As far as the other questions I had
Is there a difference between Belief and Knowledge?
I believe in God
I know that God exists

Here's the difference:

I say that there is a Magical Pink Unicorn, and that he lives in my closet. If I go check in the closet and he's there, then I know it. If I check in the closet and he's not there, then I know it. If I check in the closet and he's not there, but say that the reason he's not there is that he went to get a bite to eat but he'll be back later, and if you don't think so then you're just saying that because you don't want him to be there, then I just beleive it.

Maybe.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  14:00:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

So have you any testable evidenve on God? If not have you tried or do you rely on others to guide your judgement. You don't want to be a true believer? I could have fell into that as I was being raised. My belief in God is not the same as when I was a child. I have aquired much more knowledge. I have satisfied many quests in my search. I cannot say though that my childhood influence of the Lutheran theolgy has not had some affect on my belief and my knowledge of God.
So then would I be predisposed to believing ?
Some Skeptics and scientists would think so

It is not possible to test the existance of God. God(s) must be taken on faith and unsupported belief. If there were emperical evidence supporting God, then no faith would be required, would it? Belief would simply be a given -- indeed, it would be illogical not to believe.

I would love to be a true believer if there were something to believe in.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  14:05:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Beliefs are areas where I stopped thinking.

quote:

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  19:21:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
I believe in God
an assumption of God's existance without evidense.
quote:
... I know that God exists
A delusion.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  20:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Storm wrote:
quote:
Belief is the ultimated knowledge!!!
I believe that I will keep getting paychecks even if I stop doing my job. That's not knowledge, it's stupidity.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  05:48:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Why am I in a delusion because I Believe in God. Wjo says God can not be measured. Let us not mix up Faith and Belief. No one said I had Faith in god. Just a belief. and it's is through evidence of my own that I believe. One thing I never do is just Believe.
If that was the case I would be believing you bunch and the shit you speew Yes that is a Joke But seriously is belief then just for the religious ? Filthy. there is much to believe in you just have to open yourself up to it. Have you read any books and have you done any research to make you come to a conclusion on not believing?

Storm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.