New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bjones
Skeptic Friend

Australia
82 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  16:22:50  Show Profile Send bjones a Private Message
Here is one thing I would like to see added to your claims list Feng Shui. The belief the there is mysterious energy meridians that may bring you bad luck if you arrange your furniture poorly, or plant a tree in the wrong place. There is even feng shui food if you place any of your garnishes etc in the wrong position on your plate
I just had a quick peek through the goeureka search engine and the results
213979 matches
you searched for: "feng shui"

I have never heard such nonsense

Bob

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  20:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Since I'm not exactly the Martha Stewart type, I've found a very "lucky" arrangement for my furniture. If I don't trip over anything, it must be in the right place.
If I ever decide the inside of my house needs to be harmonious and balanced, I'll drop the bucks on a good interior decorator and save myself several hours of mystical babble.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  20:53:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
I like the part about mirrors reflecting the bad energy. (Heavy sarcasm please....)

I think it's really sad that this is being run on PBS stations too.

I have much the same philosophy as Lisa as regards decorating. If no one's tripping over it and the dog can't knock anything off the coffee table or doesn't land on something when he jumps it, then I'm safe. (Yes, my dog is hyper and he likes to lauch himself over the coffee table...especially when food is involved.)

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  21:35:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Saw something pretty scary on the news. Seems there are large corporations who actually pay people to come in for Feng Shui analysis. Wouldn't that be wonderful to find out on your first day on the job? "Oh, your office isn't quit ready for you yet. Our Feng Shui expert still has to come in to balance the energies." Yeah right. Just as soon as the voodoo priestess chases away the bad spirits. Oh heck, let's haul the candles, pentagrams, goats, and chickens over from the Bitch Board 02 to make sure the computers work.
Lisa

Edited by - Lisa on 09/06/2001 21:45:10
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  22:24:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Here is one thing I would like to see added to your claims list Feng Shui.

Good idea! I'd get right on it but it will probably take me days since my front door is facing the wrong direction and the open beamed ceilings are making me so depressed I can hardly get up enough energy to write...

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  22:32:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
How come when you line up all the paper clips on your desk, so that nothing bad will happen to you, they call it O.C.D. But when you line up all your furniture in your office, so nothing bad will happen to you (I like to pile it up against the door-cuts down on the number of meetings I have to attend) it's called Feng Shui?

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  22:41:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Here is one thing I would like to see added to your claims list Feng Shui.

Good idea! I'd get right on it but it will probably take me days since my front door is facing the wrong direction and the open beamed ceilings are making me so depressed I can hardly get up enough energy to write...

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  00:10:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I think it's really sad that this is being run on PBS stations too.

Yes, I was going to say I saw that show on PBS. I've studied art for a lot of years, had classes in various media and art related subjects. Interior decoration is one. Didn't take it in depth but a lot of it is involved with what one already knows about art such as shapes and matching colors and more.
As I watched the show, I thought to myself, they are doing nothing more then what any decorator could or does do. Hell, I could too. The only thing different in FS is saying that something mysterious happens if you do what they say. Shit!
Talking about harmonious, that's what any good decorator does anyway. It's called the flow of the room. You match colors that your client likes with what works together. Colors have psychological affects on people. Perhaps fads have changed now but for example, I was taught not to put red in a dining room. It's a strong color not conducive to quiet conversation. Coffee tables should be so many inches from a chair, for easy access to sitting down. And on and on.
Fung Shui my ass, it's common sense or knowledge of art. If you are in a well decorated room you feel better, because it's oganized, the lighting is nice, the wallpapper is pleasing, etc., etc., not because there are spirits in it or not.
BTW, Slater, Lisa, very funny comments.
The reason I watched the show though was because I'm building a house and need all the help I can get.

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  06:54:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
Feng Shui is simply the latest cultural fad. Decorating with an avant garde name. Big deal. I made my own Zen garden a few years back, but no Zens ever showed up. I even hung out feeders for them .

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  09:40:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Just don't dis on my Web Shui.

Word

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

bjones
Skeptic Friend

Australia
82 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  17:21:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bjones a Private Message
quote:

Feng Shui is simply the latest cultural fad. Decorating with an avant garde name. Big deal. I made my own Zen garden a few years back, but no Zens ever showed up. I even hung out feeders for them .
It often boils down to common sense where to plant a tree and whether you have planted in the right place or not. You do not want a huge tree planted close to your house where its root can cause costly damage to your house's foundations.
But you do not need a feng shui expert to tell you that. If you have doubts on whether a certain tree then I would consult with a horticultural of lanscaping engineer, and a so called feng shui expert would be the last person on would run to.

Bob

Remember: when you die your philosophy dies with you.

(:raig

Go to Top of Page

Greg
Skeptic Friend

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  17:35:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Greg an AOL message Send Greg a Private Message
quote:
I have much the same philosophy as Lisa as regards decorating. If no one's tripping over it and the dog can't knock anything off the coffee table or doesn't land on something when he jumps it, then I'm safe. (Yes, my dog is hyper and he likes to lauch himself over the coffee table...especially when food is involved.)

LOL I have a Siberian Husky who regularly launches herself across the room & onto the couch. I also have an Alaskan Malamute who just moves the couch (or any other furniture) when its in his way. It drives my wife nuts.

Greg.

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  22:58:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
So what do these Feng Shui expert have to say about pets? I knew a guy who had a cat and a ferret, so his motto was "no shelves, and nothing breakable."
Pity you folks with the huge hundes. I have two daschunds, so all I have to deal with is putting childproof locks on all the lower kitchen cabinets.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2001 :  00:09:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

So what do these Feng Shui expert have to say about pets? I knew a guy who had a cat and a ferret, so his motto was "no shelves, and nothing breakable."
Pity you folks with the huge hundes. I have two daschunds, so all I have to deal with is putting childproof locks on all the lower kitchen cabinets.
Lisa

My Woody is a Cocker.
SHUT UP! Kil.

Woody is the smartest little thing.

ps. if anyone is interested in getting involved in animal rescue, email me privately. It's a very rewarding venture.

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2001 :  00:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
So your pets need to be rescued, eh?

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

bjones
Skeptic Friend

Australia
82 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2001 :  03:44:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bjones a Private Message
quote:

So your pets need to be rescued, eh?

@tomic

The local city council should consider "feng shui" lamp posts for Fido to stop at.
Cats will have to learn the difference between feng shui scratching polls and the ones the has been just put there to coax the cat away from scratching and tearing up the new furnature.

Bob

Remember: When you die your philosophy dies with you

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.