General Discussion
 Wow, embryos without sperm!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  09:42:07  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
This has Bush thwarting implications!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4061477.stm

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  09:51:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
The feminist claims aside, that is fabulous! But I wonder; wouldn't the egg have only half of the genetic material necessary for a human to be? How would those stem cells be?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  10:03:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Nah the stem cells dont need that stuff, they are 'blanks' essentially, like a universal blood type..

Edit: oh and no these are for research only, they cant grow into humans.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 12/02/2004 10:04:43
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  11:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Very interesting indeed, but herein lies the rub:

quote:
The process, described in New Scientist, uses an enzyme found in sperm to prompt the egg to divide.

The fact that they have found a biological trigger to prompt the egg to divide is fabulous.

And:
quote:
The researchers called the enzyme "the spark of life".

I'd be willing to bet that the anti-stem cell blathers will be all over this as soon as it is put to use and probably well before. Our gutless leaders will wear their knees out bowing before them.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  12:46:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Nah the stem cells dont need that stuff, they are 'blanks' essentially, like a universal blood type..

Edit: oh and no these are for research only, they cant grow into humans.

Gotcha. I know they've no possibility to grow into a full human, I was wondering about the stem cells

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  15:29:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Very interesting indeed, but herein lies the rub:

[quote]The process, described in New Scientist, uses an enzyme found in sperm to prompt the egg to divide.

The fact that they have found a biological trigger to prompt the egg to divide is fabulous.

So what would happen if you took the gene and placed it in a bacterium behind a powerful promotor region, harvested the geneproduct and applied that to the egg cells? ;)

And what if one would make minor modifications to the primary sequence? Interesting questions, i'd love to see an ethical board make recommendations on this.

-edited to add:-
This is fascinating on so many levels. Because a phospholipid modifying enzyme seems to be involved in regulating cell division this could open up a whole new field of proteome and genome regulation.
Also, it is fairly close to my own research. I'm so looking forward to the article on this subject.

-edited to add:-
Awww, apparently the phospolipase works on specific phosphotidyl-inositol compounds that then function as signalling molecules for other processes.
It would have been so totally awesome if it worked by altering the physical properties of the lipid bilayer. Ahem. [/membrane-biochemistry nerd mode]

Also, apparently recombinant enzymes can fulfil the same function (at least in mice anyway, so probably in humans too). I'd like to see any fundy claim that that would qualify as human life

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Edited by - Plyss on 12/03/2004 05:35:13
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  06:07:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Hey a blob of blank cells is human life no matter how small. Hopefully we'll be able develop stem cells from non-human eggs, and bypass that whole problem. Then again Im talking out my ass, plyss do you think thats possible?

Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  06:23:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Hey a blob of blank cells is human life no matter how small. Hopefully we'll be able develop stem cells from non-human eggs, and bypass that whole problem. Then again Im talking out my ass, plyss do you think thats possible?

A blob of blank cells is only human life in the same sense that a skin-flake or a few bloodcells are human life. Actually less because the cells only contain 23 chromosomes instead of 46. This is also one reason why i have some doubts on the usefulness of this approach. That being said, i'd love to be proved wrong on this.

As for non-human eggs, i sincerely doubt it's possible to do anything worthwhile with it in the foreseeable future because their genetic program is quite likely incompatible with ours. Stemcells from other organisms likely have subtly different signalling factors they respond to, resulting in deviations in development.
Also, when placed in the body foreign cells would immediately generate an immune response. Of course it's possible to surpress this but that might not be in the best interest of the patient.
It may be possible in isolated cases to treat people in such a way, but i'm not overly familiar with developmental biology and immunology.

These are just some thoughts from the top of my head though, i haven't given "xeno-stemcell treatment" (i'll just call it that for now) much thought.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  01:11:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
There was an article about an expirimental stem-cell treatment in New Scientist a couple months ago, and it claimed that one of the effects of the stem calls was to circumvent the immune response to reject foreign tissue.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  12:58:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

There was an article about an expirimental stem-cell treatment in New Scientist a couple months ago, and it claimed that one of the effects of the stem calls was to circumvent the immune response to reject foreign tissue.

Yes, but those stem-cells came from homo sapien sapien. (Wasn't it?)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 12/08/2004 12:59:28
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  08:42:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
Apparently the proper term for the use of non-human stem cells in therapeutic applications is refered to as "interspecies somatic cell nuclear transfer" (or interspecies SCNT).
This article (pdf warning) has some nice information on it. I just wish i was more familiar with biology in general and medical biology, developmental biology and immunology in particular.

The author suggests this process (interspecies SCNT) could be tricky because of incompatibility between the donor and acceptor's mitochondria.
Briefly, some of the donors mitochondria remain present after transfection of the stem cell with the acceptors genetic material and some of these mitocondrial proteins become exposed to the acceptors immune system, causing an immune response.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.