Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  15:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Anyone catch that new show on Sci Fi last night called GhostHunters?
I found it to be interesting. It's only downfall was the personal problems of the investigators. Whether or not one investigator was going to make it with the other was just a little over the top for me. But I managed to overlook it and thought some of the investigations were pretty interesting.
TAPS which they are called {which I do not know why} philosophy is to disprove paranormal claims namely Ghosts. To sort of debunk { to expose the sham or falseness of } Ghosts.
Very intersting word "Debunk" to expose the sham or falsness of using that word in a statement like "I am out to debunk the people who have expereienced ghosts" sounds like one would predispositioned to believe or think or base information on the ghostly event immediately being a sham or falsness. That is like the theory that because the house is old because you knew it was haunted all of this effected your perception and then you experienced the ghost. While this is true in many cases it is not true in all and when we can't find a truth to a phenomenon we put it nothing but misperception or leaky pipes. Out of 650 billion or so we are all not having hallucinations.
So when all you Skeptics go around Debunking remember it is not very open minded
To Debunk is to immediately assume that the experience is a sham or falsness especially when it comes to ghosts and mediums and that is the Ball and Chain of Spiritualism.
[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

Storm

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  15:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm
While this is true in many cases it is not true in all and when we can't find a truth to a phenomenon we put it nothing but misperception or leaky pipes. Out of 650 billion or so we are all not having hallucinations. So when all you Skeptics go around Debunking remember it is not very open minded.

To assume that some ghostly phenomena is nothing more than misperception and leaky pipes is not very open-minded of you.

quote:
To Debunk is to immediately assume that the experience is a sham or falsness especially when it comes to ghosts and mediums and that is the Ball and Chain of Spiritualism.

The only "Ball and Chain of Spiritualism" is the one around the necks of people who claim, nearly a century later, that there is still something to those claims of spiritualism. What that something is, the proponents can never say. They merely insist over and over that despite years of scientists investigating these matters and finding nothing out of the ordinary that more investigation is needed.

That is why it is up to you to provide positive proof. The scientifically educated of our society have moved on. The only one still shackled to old yarns and ghost stories appears to be you.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/02/2004 15:56:07
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  16:11:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
There are no shackles and chains for me . ..
Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience..
I have to disagree with the moving on with no further investigation...
That is why there must be a New Science in this field ...
You are right it is up to Me and any others who are willing to make an Extraordinary Claim. ..
Some people are leaders others are followers...
Did you know that Thomas Edison was working on a machine to try to contact the dead...
A sort of Telephone...
Energy does not die Einstein tells us that...
We are Energy...
So we do not die...
We just have not learned to fine tune that enegy...
Almost like a radio wave...
Invisible but Existent...
Did they exist before we knew how to use them?

Storm
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  16:31:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Some people are leaders others are followers...
Did you know that Thomas Edison was working on a machine to try to contact the dead... A sort of Telephone...

Yes, I did. Are you aware that it never worked?
quote:
Energy does not die Einstein tells us that...
We are Energy... So we do not die...

We are not energy. We are matter animated by energy. The energy of your body will indeed go on (it cannot "die" because it is not alive). Some of it will leak into space as heat loss as your corpse cools. The rest will be released by digestive enzyms and bacteria, perhaps to be reused by plants or worms. That energy is not "you" any more the energy you got from the cereal you ate at this morning is "wheat plant number 131,351,142,142 from Farmer Joe's Ranch."

quote:
We just have not learned to fine tune that enegy... Almost like a radio wave... Invisible but Existent...
Did they exist before we knew how to use them?

Very lovely remarks. They have that sort of dreamy, non-sensical quality you can only find in New Age and children's literature.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/02/2004 16:59:15
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  16:35:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
No, "we" are not all having hallucinations. Some of us are lying, some of us are misinterpreting natural phenomena, some of us are delusional, some of us don't have too much knowledge of science...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  16:43:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Exactly in fact some of us have no knowledge at all...
Glad it is not me ...

Storm
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  16:56:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
What is with this new habit of ending all your statements with ellipsis?

Do you think it makes you sound smarter? As if you know more than you are saying...

And how can you say that you are thankful for not being ignorant of science when you just got done stating that people are energy?

Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/02/2004 17:07:10
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  17:24:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I never siad I had so much of Knowledge of Science
I said I was glad that I was not one who had no knowledge at all..
Smarter...
Maybe.. Maybe not... Maybe... I am leaning toward Maybe....
I am not really here to discuss how smart I am or am not...
So we are animated energy
Can't you think the possibility that as we die when this energy is released from our bodies that some others may pick up on it?
Maybe these are our ghosts...
I am not talking about "You" as your conscious self...
Oh and Thomas Edison died before he could finish his Telepgraph to the Dead....
How's that for Eliiippisss .......

Storm
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  18:12:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The existance of ghosts has never been debunked. Of course, certain incidences have, various flim-flams and such, but over all, no. I rather doubt that it ever will be. The TV show you saw was commercialy produced to get the best ratings it could. Always remember that when ever you watch the toob. Occham's Razor, Storm. Occham's Razor.

But do ghosts exist? I don't know and neither does anybody else. I will only state that at this writing, a ghost has yet to be brought forth and I don't much expect any in spite of all the rhetoric published and produced on the subject.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  18:34:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
What are you implying is a ghost exactly?

Storm
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  19:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

What are you implying is a ghost exactly?

Let me tell you a story. This happened in the mid '50s.

I am from the deep south. At this time, there were a great many 'ghosts' of Confederate soldiers reputedly haunting various places. One such, fairly close to my home was at a railroad crossing in Decatur, GA. On a foggy night, one might see in the headlights the ghost of a soldier standing at attention beside of it.

I'd been visiting a friend in Decatur and was returning home to Emory. There was a light, misting rain and I was cold and in a hurry to get out of it. When I came to the crossing, that soldier appeared for just a brief moment in the headlight of my motorcycle. To say that I was amazed would be an understatment! He was there, rifle and all!

A couple of days later, I told a retired school teacher who lived close by about it. Mr. Godwin laughed and said that he had seen it many times. Then he explained the tricks the light plays when visibility is poor and there is more than one light soruce -- there was a lone, rather dim street light at the crossing.

It was some weeks later that I saw it again. The conditions were much the same and I went there for the express purpose of seeing the soldier. And there he was. I was to do the same several times before I got bored with it.

So, to me, a ghost is a trick of the light anf fog.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  19:47:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Occams Razor!!!! Occams Razor!!! Occams Razor!!

Storm
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  19:50:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  06:46:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
You sure do alot of talking and not alot of evidence postiong, if it is in such abundance why can we not see it?, post it then we will go over it to see if the data or conclusions are done properly.

Is that so much to ask?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  01:44:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
How's that for Eliiippisss .......

Why don't you start by using some minimal level of punctuation?

Your posts are impossible to read when you bunch your entire post into one run on sentence with no paragraph breaks and basic use of grammar.

Do you fail to comprehend that being able to communicate clearly is a vital aspect of science? You claim knowledge, yet demonstrate ignorance.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  18:19:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Do you even know what Occham's Razor is? What it is used for?
Clue #1: It's not used to shave men's beards...
Clue #2: It's not used to shave ladies' {insert bodypart of preference}...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.