SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  06:35:50  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Creationism's strange evolution
Tuesday, November 30, 2004

By Tony Norman

A long time ago, while mulling over the insanity of becoming a Christian, I attended a Bible study deep in the heart of the San Fernando Valley. It was early spring 1979, and I wasn't eager to throw in my lot with the crew of perky believers who wandered around campus perpetually turning the other cheek.

A classmate invited me to attend the Bible study off campus because he suspected my faith was wavering even before it got off the ground. "You have a lot of questions," he said as we drove through a generic Southern California suburb at dusk looking for his friend's house. "Let's see if we can get a few of them answered so you can make a decision for the Lord."

We were the last to arrive. Every

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04335/419218.stm

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  06:55:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I liked this line:
quote:
My friend wasn't in a hurry to leave, though. He didn't need much convincing that the Earth was barely older than one of the ancient fruitcakes that circulate uneaten during the holidays.

This reminds me of the theory that there are actually only about 50 fruitcakes in existence and they're just recycled every christmas.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  07:05:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yes but did you know if you bring the five ledgendary Shankara Fruitcakes together at once, you will hold the power of Shiva in your hands.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  07:59:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
That was a nice little piece. I liked:
quote:
Several outrageous leaps of faith are part of the package when one becomes a believer -- the most preposterous being the odd business of Jesus rising from the dead -- but there was no way I would consider "The Flintstones" closer to truth than Charles Darwin. Dino going for walks with Fred 8,000 years B.C. is a miracle even more staggering than the Resurrection.

But more interesting is this confession-- one that I'm sure most fundies don't think about:
quote:
At the root of this shell game is an embarrassment about God's ability to work through nature using the evolutionary process. Will someone explain why a 15 billion-year-old universe is any less miraculous than the one conjured up in biblical poetry?

Indeed.

(also, it's my 400th post!!!)
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  09:15:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

This reminds me of the theory that there are actually only about 50 fruitcakes in existence and they're just recycled every christmas.

Nope. My dad really does eat 'em. Makes me hope my brothers are right and I really am adopted.

quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist:
But more interesting is this confession-- one that I'm sure most fundies don't think about:
quote:
At the root of this shell game is an embarrassment about God's ability to work through nature using the evolutionary process. Will someone explain why a 15 billion-year-old universe is any less miraculous than the one conjured up in biblical poetry?

I'm not so sure. That reminded me so much of something Storm posted I went looking for it. I finally found it in the "Throwing dust in the eyes of your brethren" thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
What if Creationism does Exist and Evolution is it's evidence?
Does that make any sense?
What if a God, Spirit, Force, did exist and Science was how it worked...
How it thought...
So through humans it manifests and comes through us in Science and it's Theories...
Order..

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  09:34:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Mmm, dino-horses. I think I'll stick to the mammal type of riding, sporting and loving beasts that make my life so much happier, though. They're so wonderfully gorgeous.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  11:11:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Wow!!! That is Soooo interesting. Flinstones Ressurrection Ressurrection Flinstone. What Extraoridinary Claims Any Extraordinary Evidence?

Storm
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  11:38:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
^

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.