Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  13:01:50  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message
http://www.flat-earth.org/

I don't know if you have seen this site already, but there is some very interesting reading here.

The FAQ says that North Dakota and Idaho don't exist. Is this a parody or something?

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  13:12:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi Baxter and welcome.

Yeah, I think that this one is. However, there are some Bible literlists who claim that the earth is flat.

Also, it is amusing to note that TalkOrigins is sometimes accused of promoting a flat earth.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  13:14:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

Is this the real Flat Earth Society then?
Go to Top of Page

Shacal
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  13:20:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Shacal a Private Message
hmm...
I think the alaska.net site may be a joke. Click on the "current events" link and read it carefully:
quote:
After spending over sixteen million dollars and using over 48 thousand yards of industrial strength strapping tape, we of the Flat Earth Society were able to construct an enormously powerful neurotransmitter that can implant suggestions directly into the brains of the nearby non-Flat Earthers. Having set it up just outside of the Russian Antarctic exploration post (Vostok), we are awaiting word that all three scientists and 174 penguins have been shown the light.

Those penguins will be loyal soldiers!

"The problem with communication is the illusion that we have accomplished it"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  13:23:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
If it's not run by Charles K. Johnson, it's not the "real thing."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  13:37:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Anyone catch the bottom of the FAQ?

quote:
This FAQ was compiled by Lee Harvey Oswald Smith

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  13:51:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baxter

I don't know if you have seen this site already, but there is some very interesting reading here.

The FAQ says that North Dakota and Idaho don't exist. Is this a parody or something?

Hi, Baxter, and welcome to SFN. Yes, the site seems to be a satire of the whole concept. Witness their link to the Springfield Paradox, where they write that:
quote:
The Springfield Effect is the effect by which every place named Springfield is, in fact, a link to the same place. There is, in reality, only one place in the universe named Springfield, although many places connect to it.
Rather funny, actually...
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  14:32:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baxter

Yup. This is a parody. The Flat Earther's don't have a huge following. Thomas Dolby (1980's English rocker) even has a fan club of the same name. (After a song he did.)

THE FLAT EARTH (Thomas Dolby, 1984)

The Earth can be any shape you want it
Any shape at all
Dark and cold or bright and warm
Long or thin or small
But it's home and all I ever had
And maybe why for me the Earth is flat

Friends have often asked me why
I'm sensitive about my height
I would look around and say
Hmm, I thought I was immune
All my life I have waited
to be given any word
It was screaming to be heard
Please remember...

Any shape at all
Dark and cold or bright and warm
Long or thin or small
But it's home and all I ever had
and maybe why for me the Earth is flat

Turn the island to the storm tonight
Then when they spill the demon seed
Turn and face into the wind
All along you still believed
Believed you were immune
And if love is all you're missing
Look into your heart
Is anybody home ?
Please remember ...
Any in the world
But don't you point that raygun at me
I might just explode
There are stones buried in your soul
And only a fool would blame the death of rock and roll, uyeah
And in time you'll come to understand
The flat old Earth is in your gentle hands

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.