New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  00:28:00  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
After getting a bit peeved about the possible jail time looming over the heads of Judith Miller, Matt Cooper and others, I ran across this little AP story on a Yahoo News cyber back page;
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=17&u=/ap/20041209/ap_on_re_us/mum_reporter

I contrast this case to the Novak case. In both cases the journalists refused to expose sources that broke the law in leaking each story. Yet, in each case, we have a dramatically different set of events unfolding.

Does anyone else see a problem here?

And don't think I want to see Novak squirm, even though that would be incredibly fun. Novak was doing his job, just as Cooper and Mr. Taricani. (Miller seems to have entered the 'Twilight Zone') Where I would like to see the media exercise prudence at times, these new threats to reporters can effectively muzzle an already timid press corps.

Is the Fourth Estate going to be given a cabinet post next?

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  04:36:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It seems like every decade or so, these cases come along.

Novak's case was a matter of national security and I'd like to see his scungy, old ass kicked from here to next August for it, along with and especally his source(s). To me, it smacks of a treasonous act. The other involves just another corrupt politition, and while the reporter might have used a little caution, I support him protecting his source. It's nice to know that there are a few good ones left.

Yes, I do indeed, see a problem. The problem is that apart from alternate news sources, the media is already, effectivly muzzled. For example, I read just yesterday that Clear Channel, one of the countries largest broadcasters, will be using Fox, the propaganda wing of the Republican party, exclusively for their news.

It ain't even seven o'clock and I'm pissed off already. What a way to start the day.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

mgbworks

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  04:12:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send mgbworks a Private Message

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that no casualty reports have been broadcast on any mainstream media or seen in any mainstream newspapers or magazines. Casualties are any persons injured, killed, captured or missing action against an enemy. All one has to do is go to the Dept. of Defense website, www.defenselink.mil/ and click on casualty report to see the PDF file with the latest daily update. The notion of a liberal press in this country is a bad joke. One look at the advertisers in the New York Times or on TV makes it clear that car manufacturers, oil companies and organizations like DeBeers Diamonds aren't going to permit dissenting views.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  04:49:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mgbworks

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that no casualty reports have been broadcast on any mainstream media or seen in any mainstream newspapers or magazines. Casualties are any persons injured, killed, captured or missing action against an enemy. All one has to do is go to the Dept. of Defense website, www.defenselink.mil/ and click on casualty report to see the PDF file with the latest daily update. The notion of a liberal press in this country is a bad joke. One look at the advertisers in the New York Times or on TV makes it clear that car manufacturers, oil companies and organizations like DeBeers Diamonds aren't going to permit dissenting views.

Too true, mgbworks. Welcome to SFN!

It is also worthy of note that Iraqi casulities are almost never mentioned.

The national media is a joke, especally cable. Any venue where the likes of Ann Coulter, et al, can not only make a living but prosper, is in bad shape. Also there is AM radio where foul liars like Limbaugh spew their garbage for idiots to suck up.

But I think that this will change in the not too distant future as attention to the alternant media increases, and getting away with putting forth bullshit and neglecting facts becomes more difficult.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  05:56:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Speaking of alternative media -http://www.newstandardnews.net is trying to get a start.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.