Creation/Evolution
 Comment on "Evolution, Scientology Style"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smokedoctor

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2004 :  22:44:27  Show Profile  Visit smokedoctor's Homepage Send smokedoctor a Private Message
At http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/showquestion.asp?faq=4&fldAuto=60 is an article "Evolution, Scientology Style," by Dawn Huxley posted 4/20/2002. Huxley nicely refutes L. Ron Hubbard's made-up time periods and notions.

Could those notions have been hallucinations? or symptoms of time disorientation? or acalculia? or delirium tremens (akin to seeing pink elephants nobody else sees!)? or other mental disorders?

Hubbard was a smoker. Smokers notoriously suffer disproportionately from mental disorders, see details at http://medicolegal.tripod.com/preventmentaldisorder.htm and http://medicolegal.tripod.com/preventbraindamage.htm

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2004 :  23:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Hubbard was a sci-fi writer (and a bad one at that, the guy was a hack).

It's always amused me that people accept anything he wrote as factual. And the whole scientology thing... scary in an easy to make fun of way. They are simply nuts.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  06:39:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Hubbard was a sci-fi writer (and a bad one at that, the guy was a hack).

It's always amused me that people accept anything he wrote as factual. And the whole scientology thing... scary in an easy to make fun of way. They are simply nuts.

Hey, I liked Battlefield: Earth. Not as good as a Clarke, but good entertainment if you're bored and not willing to overthink stuff.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  07:55:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Scientology, it's worse than you think. Apparently, a lot worse!

quote:
According to sworn testimonies from seemingly countless upper-level management Scientologists who have escaped the business, the "church" commits felonies as a matter of policy. So much so that several countries have designated Scientology a threat to their national security and monitor the "church" like they do any other crime syndicate. You may view many such testimonies at ww.xenu.net

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  12:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
smokedoctor:
At http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/showquestion.asp?faq=4&fldAuto=60 is an article "Evolution, Scientology Style," by Dawn Huxley posted 4/20/2002. Huxley nicely refutes L. Ron Hubbard's made-up time periods and notions.

Could those notions have been hallucinations? or symptoms of time disorientation? or acalculia? or delirium tremens (akin to seeing pink elephants nobody else sees!)? or other mental disorders?

As Dude pointed out, Hubbard was a science fiction writer. I think it's obvious that he just made that crap up. He made the whole of scientology up as a way to get rich. What blows my mind is there are so many followers of Scientology with teachings based on such absolute hogwash that it boggles the mind. His creation story should be a clue to anyone with even a wit of commen sense and a fifth grade education in science.

A good place to learn about Scientology is Operation Clambake

Enjoy…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  22:19:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Battlefield : Earth is a huge piece of dung.

The movie (thank you Travolta) was also a huge boulder of excrement.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  05:30:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Battlefeild earth is a copy of a Philip K Dick short 'The surface raid' which is a copy of the time machine, IMO. Man Im seein connections all over the place, maybe I can find a secret code imbeded in Dianetics.

"The easiest way to make a million dollars is to start a religion." LRH

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  06:18:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Well, I wouldn't trust ANYTHING including Travolta...

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  10:43:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Trust is not the issue...

Travolta is a good actor (see Pulp Fiction, Swordfish, and several other of his recent movies, not bad stuff at all). Just that Battlefield Earth was a piece of crap, and he couldn't save it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  12:39:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Trust is not the issue...

Travolta is a good actor (see Pulp Fiction, Swordfish, and several other of his recent movies, not bad stuff at all). Just that Battlefield Earth was a piece of crap, and he couldn't save it.

I didn't like Pulp Fiction I can't remember Swordfish, though.

Anyway... [back to topic] I don't know if Hubbard was hallucinating or not, but he definatly wasn't on his meds. Charlatan at the best.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  12:59:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
smokedoctor:

As Dude pointed out, Hubbard was a science fiction writer. I think it's obvious that he just made that crap up. He made the whole of scientology up as a way to get rich. What blows my mind is there are so many followers of Scientology with teachings based on such absolute hogwash that it boggles the mind. His creation story should be a clue to anyone with even a wit of commen sense and a fifth grade education in science.

A good place to learn about Scientology is Operation Clambake

Enjoy…

Read a goodish part of O. Clambake. It has a lot of stuff on Hubbard and Scienctology that I didn't know. Hubbard's biography was particulary interesting. The man ended up dying in '86, stark, raving mad. And he wasn't all that stable throughout most of his life.

Busted for petty theft, a bigamist, and a highly paranoid, habitual liar who wrote incessently to the FBI. And yet, he seems to have come from a very close and happy family. I cannot help but feel a little pity for him as well as Scienctology's victims. Perhaps, in a way, he was one of those victims, himself.

I recommend the site.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  13:27:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Tell me about it, my mom is very suggestable and she moved to St Pete Florida recently. I tell her not to go to Clearwater ever! (Ground Zero for Scientology, they own the place.) What does she do? Gets a damn job in Clearwater. I warned her repeatedly and forcefully so hopefully they wont sink their ignoramus claws into her.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.