Religion
 Taking advantage of emotional distress?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  22:10:09  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
This is a website that basically is geared up to witness specifically to people contemplating suicide.

To me, that seems like they're looking to provide an "emotional hook" to people, to get them hooked into religion and keep them there.

After all, if jesus is the reason you don't kill yourself, then how likely is it you'd change your mind later?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all FOR preventing suicide; but how pure are the motives of those who set up that site, do you think?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  22:18:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Religion is always offered as a salve to emotionally distraught people, whether they be suicidal, drug addicts, victims of abuse, death row convicts, whatever.

I can see both sides. On the one hand, maybe faith could offer some amount of comfort or hope. On the other, like you said, it could be considered hooking people when they are thinking least clearly.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/12/2004 22:18:18
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  23:21:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I can see both sides. On the one hand, maybe faith could offer some amount of comfort or hope. On the other, like you said, it could be considered hooking people when they are thinking least clearly.

I guess the real question is false hope better than no hope? In the very few amount of times which I had to choose to give one of these to people, I have always gone with no hope but then double back with false hope. I guess I don't just have to stomach for giving someone no hope. Not enough stomach to be a realist.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  06:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

Don't get me wrong. I'm all FOR preventing suicide; but how pure are the motives of those who set up that site, do you think?

I don't know. I guess it depends on the person.
For instance, I'm handicapped, I've been in a wheelchair since forever. Recently, my mother was converted. Well, she took me to church, as all good mothers would. I'm 100% convinced the preachers and other faithful people that were near me were sincere when they prayed for my sake.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  06:24:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Most of these people are very sincere, and to answer the false hope question, yes, it is better to have no hope than false hope.

There is no reason to think that false hope cures any ills, just as there is no reason to think that god stops suicide.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  06:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
I can't remember where I read this, but I read that many people who join cults recently had a serious emotional trauma (ie rape, breakup, divorce, death in the family, etc.) In other words, they are vulnerable.

How pure are the site owner's motives? If their intent is simply to convert someone to Jesus, then I find the site disgusting and self-interested. If their intent is to prevent a suicide out of compassion for their fellow man, then it's OK with me.

Call me cynical but the last thing I'd want to hear if I were suicidal is Biblical babble.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.