Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  15:50:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Agree that there can be fraud. I believe it is the manifestation of the Divine something spiritual the result of an inspiration. Let us not forget Verlch God did manifest himself in the pysichal body of Jesus Christ
Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  15:57:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message
From what I have known of Speaking in Tongues, it is supposed to be a manifestation of the Holy Spirit of God. Pentecostals believe that this shows you are truly baptized in the Spirit. I have been at Pentecostal's service and heard this. Being a new believer at that time, my initial impression was this is whacked and grand standing.

In the Book of Acts, Peter is speaking to a large crowd and is understood by all the nationalities present. My take on that is this. Peter did suddenly start speaking in foreign tongues. Rather, Peter spoke in his native tongue and that people in the crowd heard in their own language. That is just my interpertation.

As I have learned more of Christianity and the divisions, ane of premises of it is that one has the gift of tongues and another in the congregation has the gift of interpetation.
Speaking in Tongues is not accepted by all the divisions. Some believe that it's time has past and holds no more revelance.

In Catholicism, the sudden ability to speak a foreign or ancient tongue is an indication of possession.
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  18:59:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
In the Book of Acts, Peter is speaking to a large crowd and is understood by all the nationalities present. My take on that is this. Peter did suddenly start speaking in foreign tongues. Rather, Peter spoke in his native tongue and that people in the crowd heard in their own language. That is just my interpertation.

-------------------

Thank-you that is what I meant, I just could not express it.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  19:01:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch

What's up fellas? Hey my thoughts on babbeling in tounges is that it is fraud. Religous fraud. People desire to see some visual example of God manifesting Himself in the physical for them to really believe.

When Jesus and His disciples where preaching 2000 years ago, the crowds that gathered to hear them speak did not all know Hebrew. So there was a miriacle everbody there heard them preach in his own language! That is what speaking in tounges was meant to do. Going md bdu gibber gibber mmum mum cloooc ribbeeeer isn't bringing any glory to God! In fact I think it is doing a disservice to true christians!

Not to say there isn't alot of good humans doing it!

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  17:23:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Wow... I never thought I'd ever see Verlch and filthy is such an agreement.

Being an ex-pentacostal, they are right. It is fraud and grandstanding. The thing is, the pentacostals believe it is/they are for real, so much that they can't see it themselves.
They are so caught up in the act they can not tell they are a part of the fraud. And I know, because I've lived it. It's really sad!

And it makes my blood boil, the fact that I let myself get sucked/suckered into it.
The good thing is, I've been free of it the last ten years.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  18:51:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Pentacostals crack me up....

They are so funny to watch... first time I saw some in action with the gibbering I cried tears of laughter.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  20:08:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Pentacostals crack me up....They are so funny to watch... first time I saw some in action with the gibbering I cried tears of laughter.

Then do check out this website:

http://www.weirdcrap.com

and click on the "Robert Tilton Fun & Games Page" for some hilarious sound samples.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  02:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

Sarman have you not had more than "nice" experiences?
It was an understatement.
quote:
You do not believe in the support and numerous journals I have given you. I have led you to many researches, etc. It does not take merely a few days to understand and grasp things but years and it never stops evolving. I have been studying the paranormal for 20 years.
Still you can't provide us with a single documented example. You have not lead us to many researches. You have given us links to web sites some of them containing fundamental errors. (Which is not very convincing.)
Give us an example (one is a good start). Argue why this example is real then provide links to references so we can check for our selves.
"Look it up!" is not an argument. It just shows that you have no argument and gives me no reason whatsoever to check your links.
quote:
While the phenomeno exists which is not deniable the funding and perhaps the methods that science is using is not right. How long did it takes to harnass radio waves, electricity, phones? I believe the energy of ghostly phenomenon comes from energy decomposing during death. You disagree. The fact that neither is provanble so neither is right or wrong.
No! This is the whole point! I have never claimed anything about the existence or non-existence of ghosts(or telepathy, spirits etc.) You have but you have not provided any evidence to support your claims.
quote:
We all are searching for truths you and I my Skeptic friends that interest us.

You don't appear to be searching for the truth. You seem to be looking for info that support your preconceived ideas.
That is not the same thing!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  10:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

They are so funny to watch... first time I saw some in action with the gibbering I cried tears of laughter.

Indeed. Now-a-days I too laugh at it. It's funny in a sad kind of way.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  16:30:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

Can you tell me a bit about your pentecostal experiences?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  17:41:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baxter

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

Can you tell me a bit about your pentecostal experiences?

What is there to say? The power of self-suggestion and self-deception is much greater than people would like to acknowledge.
Pentecostals aren't better human beings than any other flawed people.

(edited for spelling)

By the way, welcome back. Long time no see...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/13/2006 17:43:37
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  02:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
There are lots of religious ceremonies where people get carried away and believe they are in a trance of some form. Voodooism comes to mind. It's psychological. Unless you believe these folks are possessed but there's never been good evidence for that hypothesis.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  08:09:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baxter

I would like to know your opinion on "speaking in tongues."

Do you believe it is supernatural, or do you reason it to be some sort of psychological phenomena?

Or perhaps neither?

Considering that some churches sell books to assist you in speaking in toungues, I'm voting for ego stroking psychological one-upmanship.

Sorry, my brother has belonged to such churches. I find those church to be highly suspect. Speaking in toungues is a Charismatic subsect religious tenet. It has no established basis in reality.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  10:26:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch

Hmm he must have handed out Babel fishes.

This topic is creeping me out Verlch is making sense in multiple posts, if Storm flips on us Im going to freak.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  12:27:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

This topic is creeping me out Verlch is making sense in multiple posts, if Storm flips on us Im going to freak.
For one thing, you quoted verlch quoting Rubicon95. For another thing, verlch last posted to this thread almost 18 months ago (Baxter only revived it yesterday).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.