Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  08:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
http://www.lorencoleman.com/index.html

Any thoughts. or just another woo woo subject from Storm.

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  08:57:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
The latter.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:05:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

Well, probably the latter, storm. For instance, is was documented back in March (e.g. this story, based on this (unfortunately no longer free) report from the Washington Post), noting that the famous bigfoot film was a hoax. The website doesn't even make an attempt to address such claims, as near as I can tell.

In any case, the site's FAQ does little to address any serious questions people have about such "cryptids" as bigfoot. Indeed, it waffles on a variety of the hard questions. For instance, to the question "If Bigfoots are real, why hasn't anyone ever been able to capture one?" it lamely answers
quote:
Actually, many Bigfoot-type creatures have been killed, caught or examined around the world, but no scientifically "good evidence" has yet been able to be brought back to help classify the animals.
Huh? Bigfoot has been found, but they couldn't classify it, so it's... not found? Or... something?

No. Either it has been found, or it hasn't. Being or not being able to classify it wasn't even a part of the question and yet this seems to be the main defense as for why there's all this doubt about it.

But keep trying, storm!
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 12/20/2004 09:12:11
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:06:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Furshur said it all.
I've to admit there are plenty of creepy animals out there, but I'd like to see ANYTHING on those famous little beasties people are so fond of.

Storm, don't you think it's a shame to ignore the absolutely stunning quantity of animals out there?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:10:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Is there anything you dont believe? Because I have some Life-Extention Power Crystals for only 86$ each. Their power stacks as well, great christmas gifts. But of course their power is dependant on belief, if you doubt them for a moment their power will fail, so they cannot be tested obviously.

PM me, I can overnight them.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:15:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Is there anything you dont believe? Because I have some Life-Extention Power Crystals for only 86$ each. Their power stacks as well, great christmas gifts. But of course their power is dependant on belief, if you doubt them for a moment their power will fail, so they cannot be tested obviously.

PM me, I can overnight them.

Hell, BPS, I'll make a deal. I'll trade you those crystals for my soon-to-be patented design for a cold fusion reactor. I've got a mock-up built in my garage so I know it works. Deal?
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:28:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Hmm, I give you two cases (6 gross) for a working mock-up. Now is this the type of Cold-Fusion that produces Storm's undetectable Xenergy? Because I dont want this thing making all my scientific instruments go wacky with data.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  10:07:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Storm, Storm, Storm. What ever are we to do with you?

Ok, let's get down to the gritty ol' nitty, here: There is no evidence thus far, fossil or otherwise, demonstrating that there was ever a large primate on the North American continent prior to the arrival of the so-called Clovis people(s)! Furthermore, there is no evidence aside from fraud, much of it admitted, even boasted about fraud, that there exists another indigenous, large primate here today. Period!

So I ask, where are the bones? There should be bones, fossil and fresh. For there to have been a 'bigfoot' the species would have to heve been here for a very long time.

Intersting site, by the bye. I rather like the treatment they gave to floresiensis. But of course, this creature is no longer falls under cryptozoology. The bones have been produced. By other than crypozoologists, I might add.

So, what's next? the ridiculous pleiosaur(sp?) reputed to inhabit Loch Ness? The skunk ape? Batboy? (Batboy, incidently, not only exists, but is a regular contributer to SFN. )

Y'see Storm, we are a weird species. For some reason beyond my poor ken, we must have our monsters. For some reason they make us -- what? Feel that we are more perfect, perhaps? Feel that we have an adversary to defeat? I think that this is pretty close, for all of our religions are filled with the most outlandish monsters.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  10:56:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Maybe Storm is really a died in the wool skeptic......with a real mean streak.....no, on second thought it's probably just too much dopamine in the brain.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  11:17:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Lets not jump the gun people. Storm has yet to say that she believes this stuff. So do you, Storm?

Actually, I'm a bit confused and pleased by Storm. Aside from Ghosts and "life force", she has been posting websites just to get our responses. This says to me that she is a.) listening and b.) just wants to hear our side. If this is true, it is quite a refershing since our other woo-woo Verlch seems to be blind.

Storm, what do you think of that site?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  14:10:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

What filthy said...to which I'd simply add that there are already plenty of weird real animals on Earth, past and present. We don't need to make up new ones. Cryptozoology is unnecessary as there is already real Zoology.

If you think that takes all the mystery out of life, you're wrong. Mumbo Jumbo woo-woo pseudo-science just gets in the way of real science. Real science is harder but far more rewarding. By way of analogy, science is a real newspaper (if there are any,) reporting verifiable facts - and Cryptozoology is like the cable news networks, such as Faux News – which reports somewhat news but at the service of entertainment and an ulterior political agenda. It gets in the way of what's really going on.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  16:31:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I just sent the site for you all to check it iut. Inever said I believed it. Although the possibility of Big foor existing I can believe. We live in a vast world. We find different species of life each day. Think of how we once thought the Giant Panda just to be a myth ancedotal stories. Look at the celocanth hidden from scientists for 67 million years!!!! What are bones when a species can hide from us for so long. Have we explored every single piece of the pacific northwest? Are we there everyday?
As far as energy life force, now that I think about it more I think the evidence of ghosts lies within this life force. I think it lies within consciousness, maybe decaying consciousness. That is why you don't see apparitions in tea pot steam, etc.
Down here in Florida we have the Skunk Ape. Similiar to bigfoot but it lives in the swamp by Lake Ocachobee. This summer I had plans to pack the family in the Scooby Van and head down. But four hurricanes in one month kinda ruined those plans. Now whether I think the Skunk Ape is the missing link I don't know. For all I know it could be some homeless man. But the subject interests me.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  16:43:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Look at the celocanth hidden from scientists for 67 million years!!!!

Funny for you to mention the coelacanth, because we already had fossils of it before we found a living sample... unlike big foot.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  17:58:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
When was the coelacanth discovered? 1938, was it? Don't remember exactly, but I'll look it up..... got it here somewhere... ah, here we are. I really must get my links better organized.

quote:
In 1938, thirty two-year-old Marjorie Courtenay Latimer was the curator of a tiny museum in the port town of East London, northeast of Cape Town, South Africa. She had befriended a local seaman, Captain Hendrick Goosen, of the trawler Nerine, which fished the nearby coastal waters of the Indian Ocean. When he put into port the captain made a frequent practice of having the dockman call Miss Latimer to come look over the Nerine's catch. She was welcome to take any unusual specimens she might want for her museum.

And:

quote:
Virtually unique in the animal kingdom, with a saga steeped in science and popular imagination, the fabulous Coelacanth ("see-la-kanth"), that 400 million year old "living fossil" fish, paddles on. Pre-dating the dinosaurs by millions of years and once thought to have gone extinct with them, 65 million years ago, the Coelacanth with its "missing link" "proto legs" was "discovered" alive and well in 1938! Read all about it- including the latest efforts to protect the creature, and its pop-up appearances in "out of the way" places. Click in the navbar to the left. Check the News and Recent History sections and don't miss a visit to the Coelashop for t-shirts and other "Coela-gear." Our favorite "Dinofish" is "age-free" and never boring! (In case you think conservation is dull, we put some of our best stuff on that page.)This is the web site of the Coelacanth Rescue Mission, a project under the direction of Jerome F. Hamlin to raise Coelacanth awareness. Your feedback is welcome.

As Ricky stated, the coelacanth, as well as numerous other lobe-finned species, were quite well known from the fossil record. The only suprise was that it was still in existance. And it wasn't all that big a suprise as far as age is concerned. The horseshoe crab goes back much farther.

Fascinating fish, though. When 'in the chips,' I donate to this site.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  19:17:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Cuneiformist is right to point out the FAQ. Rife with mistakes of both fact and logic:
It took almost fifty years to find the first mountain gorilla after the first lowland gorillas were found;
Lowland gorillas were discovered in 1847. Mountain gorillas were discovered in 1902. Subtract, and we get 55 years.
it took over 60 years to capture the first live giant pandas after scientists actually believed the giant pandas existed.
Yeah, 67 years between a single panda skin being brought to a missionary, and a live infant being brought to the U.S.

What do both the mountain gorilla and the panda have in common? They live in mountainous areas. As do the Vietnamese muntjacs and the Po'o-uli. Are you seeing a pattern here? How many of the 10 large mammals discovered in the entire 20th century live in such places?

What's the farthest one can get from a road in the continental United States, Storm? 20 miles, and that's in the middle of Yellowstone Park. Where could a giant ape-like creature hide?

But a bigger question is, how could they breed? The Po'o-uli is likely to become extinct very, very soon because only two birds are thought to remain, and it's likely they're both female. Species tend to not recover if their numbers fall below 200 or so. So the question is not "where is the Skunk Ape hiding," but instead "where are dozens of Skunk Apes hiding?"

Ricky wrote:
quote:
Funny for you to mention the coelacanth, because we already had fossils of it before we found a living sample... unlike big foot.
And Storm should check the story on the new muntjacs. The latest discovery was, in 1997, based upon skulls, hunters' stories... and nothing more. Coleman's excuse,
Actually, many Bigfoot-type creatures have been killed, caught or examined around the world, but no scientifically "good evidence" has yet been able to be brought back to help classify the animals.
is simply laughable. Honestly, it made me laugh.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  19:32:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Like I said Dave I am not sure of what exactly the skunk ape or bigfoot is. Maybe because bigfoot or the skunk ape did or could not populate that they died off. Maybe it is just a bunch of homeless mountain men. Who knows. I sure do not and never claimed to. But the possibilities are there. Have you ever seen the swamps down here? Alligator Alley? It is like living in Jurasssic Park. Our earth is vast we find a new species and creatures all the time. So the possibilities that something like this to exist I think out ways the possibilities that it does not.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.