Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  08:09:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
This thread has been brought up before, but I don't think it's worth combing the archives for. It's been quite a while and tends to be a recurring question for folks who just joined us.

I was reading a book called "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls". In it was a car named Gay Deciever. I thought that naming a car would be interesting. (My brother had a 1976 Ford Mustang II with the Cobra II package he named "Bernadette".) I thought Valiant Dancer was a pretty good name for a car. With a name like that, it couldn't be an ordinary car. It had to be an alcohol funny car. (Because I was really into NHRA racing at that point.)

I never could afford the car. In 1987, I took it for my own handle on a now defunct BBS called the Meltdown. It had a link to a bunch of Usenet discussion boards which eventually became the Internet. It's the only handle I've had online execpt for Delphi discussion boards where I'm VDANCER.

Now that you're saddled with this awful information, aren't you sorry you asked?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  08:44:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
My screen name is short for Kilgore Trout. He is, as some of you know, a recurring character in many Kurt Vonnegut novels. At AOL I had to use klgrtrout1. Over time people just started calling me Kil. In fact, when someone changed their screen name for whatever reason and came into our chat room, I could always tell if they were regulars if they called me Kil. A few tried to come in incognito and made that mistake…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  08:54:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
I thought that naming a car would be interesting. (My brother had a 1976 Ford Mustang II with the Cobra II package he named "Bernadette".)

Doesn't everyone name their car? My first car was an '88 Olds Cutlass Supreme. It had black interior and exterior, and the interior lights didn't work. Thus, on really dark nights, I could get into and out of my car without being seen. My friends, admiring the advantage of this, called it 'Spycar'-- a name which, until now, I had never considered having for a user name...
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 12/21/2004 08:59:49
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  09:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

My screen name is short for Kilgore Trout. He is, as some of you know, a recurring character in many Kurt Vonnegut novels. At AOL I had to use klgrtrout1. Over time people just started calling me Kil. In fact, when someone changed their screen name for whatever reason and came into our chat room, I could always tell if they were regulars if they called me Kil. A few tried to come in incognito and made that mistake…

Kilgore Trout and Montana Wildhack are two on my favorite, literary charectors.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  09:30:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
My car's name is Paul, yes it is. A small, convenient city car that I don't drive neither own, but that's there for my sole usage

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  09:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
I thought that naming a car would be interesting. (My brother had a 1976 Ford Mustang II with the Cobra II package he named "Bernadette".)

Doesn't everyone name their car? My first car was an '88 Olds Cutlass Supreme. It had black interior and exterior, and the interior lights didn't work. Thus, on really dark nights, I could get into and out of my car without being seen. My friends, admiring the advantage of this, called it 'Spycar'-- a name which, until now, I had never considered having for a user name...

I always do, every since my folks got a Rabbit and my mom called him Harvey.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  09:53:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Doesn't everyone name their car?

My car is without name, but we call the van "Greased Epoxy".

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  10:30:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Mine comes from two hobbies I was into when I started using online chat sites. I was into Astronomy (Actually some astrophotography using a small scope and digital camera). Thus the "astro". At the same time I was bringing back to life my first pinball machine (thus the "pin"), a 1987 Williams F-14 Tomcat that had been used and abused. Took me three months to get it working right and looking good. I had to learn how to solder and how to read wiring schematics. I had never done either before. Thank goodness for the internet! I now own two machines and hope to acquire more. It's so much fun to fix them up and play'em. With a pinball game you never know what's going to happen, yet at the same time you can get very skillful. Need to get out and take more pictures with the scope though. I've been waiting for an adapter for my new camera (X-Mass gift maybe).

*Why do people explain their edit? Mine are almost always for typos.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Edited by - astropin on 12/21/2004 10:36:15
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  14:18:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
R.Wreck was my real name before I went into the witness protection program.

Oh, shit!

Gotta go!!!

Actually, it refers to my alma matter. 1,000,000 points to the first to correctly guess.

And astropin, I love pinball, though I don't play nearly as much as when the local tavern was the default after work destination. Some of those machines sounded like world war III if you hit the right stuff. Annoyed the hell out of some of the patrons, which just added to the fun!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  14:23:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
You went to school at Rent-A-Wreck? Cool.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  15:31:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
On most places, I go by rshadarack. The 'r' being obvious, the shadarack is a mutated form of my last name. It is really Shadrach, but one day, someone (I don't know who) mispronounced it. Then another person heard this and said the same thing. Soon, everyone was just calling me Shadarack. I will also go by rshad, r_shadrach, and rshadarch, depending upon the place.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  18:36:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Ktesibios (more commonly known as Ctesibius if you want to look him up) was an Alexandrian scientist and inventor who lived in the 3rd century BCE.

He's credited with discovering the elasticity of air and inventing several gadgets which used compressed air, inventing a major improvement on the water clock and an instrument a lot like the modern pipe organ.

Being an electronics geek who works in the music industry and occasionally designs and builds original circuitry, it seemed like an appropriate username. I use it on BABB and JREF as well.

Oh, and my car's name is L'il Kimchee-pot.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  19:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
In my head lives a jukebox where most people have a brain. The jukeboxbrain plays song lyrics from various stages of my life, including as far back as the Donny and Marie albums I played when I was 8 years old. My life really does have a soundtrack.

Renae is from The Left Banke's Walk Away Renee (with a small spelling change.) I've used BobbieJean as a screen name (from the Springsteen song of the same name) as well as Amanda (from the Boston song.)

I feel left out 'cause I never named my cars.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  19:29:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae
Ah, don't feel left out. I don't name my cars either, unless "lemon" and "that stupid #@%&ing hunk of ^!%#@" qualify as names.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/21/2004 19:30:09
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  08:14:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

In my head lives a jukebox where most people have a brain. The jukeboxbrain plays song lyrics from various stages of my life, including as far back as the Donny and Marie albums I played when I was 8 years old. My life really does have a soundtrack.

Renae is from The Left Banke's Walk Away Renee (with a small spelling change.) I've used BobbieJean as a screen name (from the Springsteen song of the same name) as well as Amanda (from the Boston song.)

Naming cars is a guy thing, mostly.

I was deeply considering inserting a joke about other songs with women's names prominently featured. Jeanny (Falco), Jenny (Tommy Twotone), Billie Jean (Michael Jackson), Maggie (Rod Stewart), Nikki (Prince), Valerie (The Monkees), Lucy (The Beatles), Elanor (The Beatles, Ray Charles, et al), Layla (Cream), etc.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.