Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 If You're Not Breaking the Law, Why Do You Care?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  14:07:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
8) Identity theft.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  14:27:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

8) Identity theft.

Excellent point. Hadn't thought of the professional criminal element.

9) Stalkers
10) General harrassment

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  19:43:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

Just to be devil's advocate so as to try and tease out the best argument here, the answer might be that they'd be willing to allow a professional investigator do that in the interests of stopping terrorism but to have a family member, friend, or aquaintance do it, someone with no legitimate reason to go through their personal stuff, is totally different and unacceptable. And there is a legitimate side to that argument - ideally the investigator has no interest in all the dirt and embarrassing crap people do. He will ignore that stuff in his investigations and keep it essentially confidential.
If the government were kept by perfectly-programmed robots with insurmountable security systems, you'd be correct. But right now we're stuck with all-too-human investigators who are far from ideal, even before we give up more privacy to them.

Abuse of power is an ongoing historical fact, not a paranoid delusion. Everything from Watergate, to priest pedophilia, to a school board's decision to hamstring science, to local cops harassing people they don't like, to a Walmart manager getting extra time from the single mom who can't afford to quit.

There are very few people who won't take advantage of a situation if they think they run no or little risk. And those who are given power (even a small amount) by their government and/or constituents are more likely to find themselves in positions of advantage over others, due largely to the fact that to get there, they've been invested with trust in the first place. It's only a small step to abuse that trust.

And that includes trust within the levels of government. The people who actually perform a search in your house may not be the people who are interested in your personal downfall. They may well just be acting on orders, and have no idea of the real reason they've been sent to sieze your computer. You'll have no clue, either, until the poop starts hitting the fan.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  19:52:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well said, Dave.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  02:39:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Ok, here you answer my last reply. . . . but again, if none of that embarrassing stuff has anything to do with terrorism, then the government wouldn't have a record of it. They would only have a record that you had been searched and nothing incriminating was found.

Not the US government. If they run an investigation, they keep detailed records, regardless if they find anything incriminating or not.

quote:
Just to be devil's advocate so as to try and tease out the best argument here, the answer might be that they'd be willing to allow a professional investigator do that in the interests of stopping terrorism but to have a family member, friend, or aquaintance do it, someone with no legitimate reason to go through their personal stuff, is totally different and unacceptable. And there is a legitimate side to that argument - ideally the investigator has no interest in all the dirt and embarrassing crap people do. He will ignore that stuff in his investigations and keep it essentially confidential.

If the government isn't restrained from violating our civil rights, they will. There is ample (as Dave_W said) historical precedent.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  06:35:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude
<snip>If the government isn't restrained from violating our civil rights, they will. There is ample (as Dave_W said) historical precedent.

I agree, this is what makes the Homeland Security department so scary. . . . Anyway, the unfortunate fact is that the argument "If you're not breaking the law, you have nothing to be afraid of" is a nice, concise, sound-bite one-liner that a talk radio host can convincingly and derisively throw out there in his endless rant against liberalism and eventually convince many a sensible individual to give up their own personal rights . . . . While Dave W's piece was eloquent, well written and eminently convincing, I fear such arguments won't counter the propaganda being whispered in millions of American's ears for hours at a time, every day. The whole thing is disturbing as hell.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  15:53:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Well, it's been said before by better men than I. Those who would sacrifice freedom for security will surely lose both!

What these people, in general, fail to comprehend is simple. The US is the most powerfull nation in the world for two reasons.

1. Reliance on science and empirical evidence to shape our technology and policy.

2. The freedom of individuals to investigate the natural world and share information without fear of (more than minimal) government intervention.

The argument "If you've nothing to hide, then what are you worried about?" is patently ridiculous. Plenty of people have things to hide, and are doing nothing wrong. A genuine desire for privacy is not a crime.

If we allow the court of public opinion to have precedent over empirical evidence (as we are apparently doing in many instances), then we all will lose.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  21:55:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
11) How do you know that you haven't inadvertently committed a crime?

Have you ever, alone in the privacy of your own home, threatened to kill someone because they angered you? What if the president angered you because he failed to support your favorite conservative bill?

12) What about innocent communication that sounds like a crime?

What if you like to watch old spy movies and thrillers and the person listening at the other end is not familiar with them and thinks the conversations are real? What if you're writing your first novel and you like to discuss the conspiracy that's central to the plot with your writers group?

- TW

- TW
Go to Top of Page

gtpooh

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  13:52:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gtpooh's Homepage  Send gtpooh an AOL message  Send gtpooh a Yahoo! Message Send gtpooh a Private Message
Ah, I'm an exhibitionist. I would LOVE if someone were listening. Alas, what they would mostly hear is things like us comparing the writing of Stephen King with Neal Stephenson and Dan Simmons and arguing about whether King is better {his opinion} because what he writes is accessible to the masses or Stephensen/Simmons are better {my opinion} and we should blame public education for creating a generation of idiots who don't know enough to appreciate a well written piece of literature that alludes to mythology and science.

quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

So, how do you answer this argument.

I say, "I don't conduct any illegal activities, but I do like to call my husband at his office and talk dirty to him sometimes." There's not a thing in the world wrong with that, but I do prefer that it is private.

Gwenny

Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. YES, is the answer!
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  15:17:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tw101356

What if you're writing your first novel and you like to discuss the conspiracy that's central to the plot with your writers group?

Whoa! That just gave me a chill... imagine that, being arrested because I was discussing the way a character's gonna kill another?

Though, I'd most likely be arrested due to software piracy, heh.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  16:01:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I think Three's Company has shown all of us the dangers inherent in reaching conclusions based on snippets of other people's conversations.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  16:35:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
hijacking imminent!

quote:
Stephensen/Simmons are better

Stephenson is a great writer. I much prefer his work over King.

/unhijack

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  17:04:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Hijackers ahoy!

I haven't read the other person. But King's awesome - he's got imagination.

/hijacking.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  08:08:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Hijackers ahoy!

/hijacking.

If ya'll are gonna hijack the thread, you could at least give us the courtesy of an "Avast, ye hearties, prepare to be boarded!"

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

gtpooh

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  11:05:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gtpooh's Homepage  Send gtpooh an AOL message  Send gtpooh a Yahoo! Message Send gtpooh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Hijackers ahoy!

/hijacking.

You really should read Simmons. He is one of the most erudite writers I have ever read. Almost everything he writes has poetic allusions. Big series by him, Hyperion, is just one long sci-fi/fantasy tribute to Keats. Newish short story collection, Worlds Enough and Time, takes its title from the first line of the Andrew Marvell poem, "To His Coy Mistress".

And he writes lots of other stuff, a while back (gods, have we been in CA three years) we heard him read from his then new book Darwin's Blade, about an insurance investigator and some of the interesting claims he investigates--many taken from actual insurance reports.

Here's his official site: http://www.dansimmons.com/ .

He's really a nice guy, too. My husband has actually been his fan long enough that he recognizes him at a signing and chats with him about stuff happening back in Denver. I meet him at the World Horror Con in 2001. He's much much much nicer than Harlan Ellison. {gwenny wanders off muttering about racist old s.o.b.s} But not as cute as Neil Gaiman. {sighs} I love me goth boys. LOL

Gwenny

Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. YES, is the answer!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds.