General Discussion
 King vs Stephenson/Simmons
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gtpooh

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  11:30:47  Show Profile  Visit gtpooh's Homepage  Send gtpooh an AOL message  Send gtpooh a Yahoo! Message Send gtpooh a Private Message
Continued from "If You're Not Breaking the Law, Why Do You Care? "

I'm not really a big King fan, but that's because I just don't like horror. My husband thought I would like the Dark Tower series since it's not horror really, but I'm finding it depressing and bleak, like so much of his stuff. (Maybe my husband just likes stuff that's depressing, he just had me read the graphic novel The Watchmen and that's depressing, too. I'm almost afraid to start The Last Samurai) Even when there are happy endings, they are just sad and unfullfilling. {sigh}

OTOH, I adore Snowcrash by Stephenson. It's cyberpunky and dark, but . . .well, I just seem to connect better to his characters. I might actually have to say it was the best book I have read in the last three years and it was good as an audio tape as well. The best audio I've listened to would be a toss up between Cryptonomicon (unabridged excerpts and still three refills of the memstik of my palm) and Dark Rivers of the Heart.

Hmmm, there's a topic of discussion. I love to listen to Koontz's books, but don't care to read them. OTOH, I'm not sure King's work comes over as well. I love both reading and listening to Terry's Pratchett's stuff. Just getting ready to start his Disc World series. Going to listen from start to the most recent we have. . .well, we have all but the last two on tape.

Does anyone else here do audio tapes? How do you think they compare to reading?
[Moved to the General Discussion folder - Dave W.]

Gwenny

Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. YES, is the answer!

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  15:38:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
I have been a huge Stephen King fan for as long as I can remember. The Dead Zone is my favorite. The Stand is a close second. Until this year I owned every book he's published in hardback. I sold quite a few on eBay for Christmas money (and shelf space). I loved his work until around the time of his brush with death, then he got too weird even for me. I liked the Dark Tower series at first, too - but I didn't get much out of the last two volumes.

I read Stephenson's Quicksilver a month or so ago. It didn't keep me up nights, but it was an enjoyable read. I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to read the rest of the Baroque Cycle. I do intend to check out Cryptonomicon soon.
quote:
Does anyone else here do audio tapes? How do you think they compare to reading?

I do have a few books on tape, but I prefer to read myself and only use them when traveling. Maybe it's because I learn better visually, I dunno.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  15:41:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I haven't really tried audio; however, I enjoy the letters. I'm a writer myself (yeah, right).

As I said on the other thread, I have yet to read Simmons, though poetic isn't generally my taste. I think I had Hyperion for download, but I can't seem to find it.

I think that's precisely what I like in King; he doesn't seem to take what he writes too seriously. Reminds me of what I used to do when I was twelve or thirteen and barely knew what I was doing: writing for the heck of it.

I also like the fact his books aren't all the same, even though they're all (as far as I've read) horror. That's something that disappointed me on Anne Rice - it's all the same stuff repeating itself with different names, though, for some reason, I keep reading it.

Pratchett, for some strange reason I can't find myself reading. Everytime I get one to read, some obscure thing happens and I end not reading it.

As for Neil Gaiman... he's good for the eyes

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.