Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  06:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Ladies and gentlemen, I fear we've crossed the line, here. While verlch doesn't agree with us and often makes outrageous statements, he doesn't deserve this sort of treatment.

I see your point, filthy. I have long admired your patient attempts to maintain polite, ethical treatment of everyone in this forum. Maybe I lack perspective because I like the song so much, but it doesn't read as libelous to me. It actually seems to be a fairly accurate, if catchy, list of verlch's beliefs as I understand them.

I don't post on any creationist sites, but if I did and inspired someone to write a song like this one, I honestly think I'd feel honored.

I guess the real question is what does verlch think?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  07:39:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I agree that this is not a personal attack per se, but it is unprovoked ridicule of the sort that might be found on any school yard during recess. Thus, verlch has the higher moral ground, here.

Ya know, I've probably roughed verlch up more than anyone; enough that I've felt compelled to apologize for it, now and again. But one thing I've noticed about him: he has never attacked me personally. In fact, I can't remember him ever attacking anyone thus. And his ridicule of the ToE and so forth has always been pretty much of a blanket sort of thing, never sent toward an individual.

I think that the song, while humoruous, is most unfair to verlch.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  08:16:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

But one thing I've noticed about him: he has never attacked me personally.

He only attacks personally women that are smarter than him.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  08:24:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
So THAT'S why he's never attacked me personally! (I really don't think he ever has. )

Seriously, I hope verlch will post an opinion. If he feels he has been ill-used I'll still like the song, but I'll apologize for picking on him.

Edited to add: Is it really unprovoked?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Edited by - Wendy on 01/13/2005 08:28:17
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  08:24:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
Haha, my dad is a Creationist and I am sure he would enjoy that.

tk
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  09:24:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yeah I read it with his feelings in mind, and from what I know of his opinion I dont think he would disagree with anything in the song, there are no direct insults only the implied one of the writer not believing the same thing, which is fine IMO.

Of course that doesnt mean he wouldnt be offended, but he might also put the song on his answering machine.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:01:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Doesn't anyone feel a little uncomfortable with this thread?

It looks to me like an ad hom ridiculing and indeed, an attack on a member of these fora, and something you might find at one of the more confused creationist sites.

As the administrators and moderators know, I am no fan of ad hominem attacks. And I don't believe I have sunk to the level of using one now. What I did was a very gentle (in my opinion) parody that distills the thinking of a certain kind of creationist in general. On our boards, that happens to be Verlch. I did not go for the jugular. In fact, in my thoughts when writing the song was the idea that a site like Hovind's might actually see it as a poke against evolutionists and an affirmation of their beliefs. I never intended to beat Verlch up. And I don't think I have.
quote:
Filthy:
Ladies and gentlemen, I fear we've crossed the line, here. While verlch doesn't agree with us and often makes outrageous statements, he doesn't deserve this sort of treatment.

All I can say to this is go look over the threads that Verlch has been a part of, or central to and check out some of the responses to his comments. My song is not in response to any comment in particular, it is a response to his comments about evolution and creation as a whole. As such, I am a piker when compared to much of what has been dished out in his direction. I can only tell you, Filthy, that I am not mean spirited. Again, my intent was to poke some gentle fun in the direction of Verlch's brand of creationism. I challenge you to show me the verse that attacks Verlch on a personal level.

I could always change the name of the song.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:21:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:

Doesn't anyone feel a little uncomfortable with this thread?

It looks to me like an ad hom ridiculing and indeed, an attack on a member of these fora, and something you might find at one of the more confused creationist sites.

As the administrators and moderators know, I am no fan of ad hominem attacks. And I don't believe I have sunk to the level of using one now. What I did was a very gentle (in my opinion) parody that distills the thinking of a certain kind of creationist in general. On our boards, that happens to be Verlch. I did not go for the jugular. In fact, in my thoughts when writing the song was the idea that a site like Hovind's might actually see it as a poke against evolutionists and an affirmation of their beliefs. I never intended to beat Verlch up. And I don't think I have.
quote:
Filthy:

All I can say to this is go look over the threads that Verlch has been a part of, or central to and check out some of the responses to his comments. My song is not in response to any comment in particular, it is a response to his comments about evolution and creation as a whole. As such, I am a piker when compared to much of what has been dished out in his direction. I can only tell you, Filthy, that I am not mean spirited. Again, my intent was to poke some gentle fun in the direction of Verlch's brand of creationism. I challenge you to show me the verse that attacks Verlch on a personal level.

As I mentioned earlier, it was not a personal attack per se. I found it to be almost like school yard teasing, and therefore inappropriate.

This is a sore point with me as I was subjected to it as a child, if briefly. I will tell the story, if asked.

However, I fully understand your intent, and it was a funny song; I just think it was ill advised.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:25:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message

From my friend's desk here, I agree with filthy.

Ridicule isn't okay, no matter how "gentle" or well-intended.

Renae

P.S. As the kid that got teased on the play ground, I agree. - Paulos

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:32:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Filthy:
However, I fully understand your intent, and it was a funny song; I just think it was ill advised.

I'm sorry you feel that way because I respect your opinion. Oh well...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  11:11:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

... I agree with filthy.

Ridicule isn't okay, no matter how "gentle" or well-intended.

Renae

P.S. As the kid that got teased on the play ground, I agree. - Paulos

I agree. I just don't think I was ridiculing Verlch. It was satire folks. And it is not a satire on Verlch in particular. I was poking fun at a particular brand of creationist that Verlch just happens be one of. If you take the position that satire is ridicule I stand guilty as charged. If I had generalized the title, would it bother you that I was “ridiculing” creationists? Or would you see it as a satire?

Edited to add: I am now done defending this. I guess we will have to agree to disagree…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

way

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  12:41:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send way a Private Message
I'll be a fence-sitter. I can see the points made from both sides. However, having just read the thing 10 minutes ago I'll state my first impressions...
-Kil has way too much time on his hands
-Funny
-Clever
-I wonder what verlch's reaction will be

Definitely satirical with the title giving it an "edge" with this audience.

Now, if the CD ever comes together, I'd like to add the sax solo in the middle.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  14:03:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
I was thinking the same thing as filthy. It's a pretty funny song. It may not be about verlch specifically, but it's pretty hard to tell. It is named after him . The mods should change the title of the thread and song to something more general if we want to keep it.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  14:03:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I agree that this is not a personal attack per se, but it is unprovoked ridicule of the sort that might be found on any school yard during recess. Thus, verlch has the higher moral ground, here.

What Kil did is the equivalent of Verlch saying:

Filthy thinks that we came from apes!

He is mocking you, but the statement is completely true. Kil may have made fun of Verlch in our eyes, but he didn't say anything inaccurate. Verlch really does believe in those things.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  23:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
Well I don't know verlch too well, but I've read some of his previous threads and I'm rather inclined to think that if he wasn't already feeling bullied then this wouldn't push him over the edge. No harm no foul so to speak.

Of course we should keep in mind that verlch is in the minority (and thus has few advocates willing to speak for him) and that satire is an inherently unfair (although often humerous) form of critisism.

Personally, I found Kil's parody to be quite funny and not mean spirited in any way. I don't really see a need to change it.

If verlch does object, for whatever reason, then I would say that the title should be changed.

Well that's my two cents worth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.