New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  14:02:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Sorry but universal unitarianism is a cop-out trying to include everyone makes me want to puke, thats not how humans work. That and Im offended to be catagorised with the faithful, considering I answered every single question in the most stringent anti-faith manner.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  22:23:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
The UUs aren't the crazy fundie religious type.

Read up on them.

http://www.uua.org/aboutuu/

http://www.uua.org/aboutuu/uufaq.html#god

By the standards of most fundies, these guys are going straight to hell. That's a positive mark in their favor imo.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  23:04:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Maybe not Dude, but I have to agree with BigPapa on this one. Anyone calling themselves a UU is a big cop-out joke. Why do we feel the need to label ourselves? (Said the Skeptic )

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  19:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Anyone calling themselves a UU is a big cop-out joke

You'd prefer that they just go ahead and join the Cristian Coalition, Moral Majority, and the Southern Baptist Convention then?

Shit. Whatever works for them, and if they find what they need in UU, that's WAY better than one of the fundie clubs, imo.

In a time when the world was almost totally dominated by religion and the political influence of religion, many of the people who founded this country were Unitarian. Some of the founding fathers even speculated that Unitarianism would be the pre-eminent religion of this country (how wrong they were, sadly) If nothing else it allows people to think for themselves and doesn't dogmatize.

I think you're just horked-off because the stupid little quiz labled you as possibly belonging to a religion

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  22:50:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
I guess what I'm saying is that I (me) really don't consider Unitarianism to be a religion. Is somthing a religion just because you say or think it is?

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  23:11:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Damn, guys, be careful. If you piss off the Unitarians, they come and burn a huge question mark on your lawn...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  23:18:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Unitarian Universalism sounds very new agey to me.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (97%)
3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (96%)
4. Liberal Quakers (86%)
5. Nontheist (86%)
6. Theravada Buddhism (72%)
7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
8. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (65%)
9. Bahá'í Faith (62%)
10. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (59%)
11. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (52%)
12. Reform Judaism (52%)
13. Taoism (47%)
14. New Age (43%)
15. New Thought (43%)
16. Jehovah's Witness (39%)
17. Sikhism (35%)
18. Scientology (33%)
19. Orthodox Quaker (30%)
20. Mahayana Buddhism (30%)
21. Seventh Day Adventist (22%)
22. Eastern Orthodox (20%)
23. Islam (20%)
24. Orthodox Judaism (20%)
25. Roman Catholic (20%)
26. Jainism (13%)
27. Hinduism (13%)

Yet another 27th Hinduist.
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  04:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
Here's mine. Seems like the quiz works fine to me.

1. Nontheist (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (100%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (77%)
5. Liberal Quakers (63%)
6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (62%)
7. Bahá'í Faith (41%)
8. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (41%)
9. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (41%)
10. Jehovah's Witness (41%)
11. Neo-Pagan (38%)
12. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (27%)
13. Taoism (20%)
14. New Age (13%)
15. New Thought (13%)
16. Eastern Orthodox (0%)

The rest are all (0%)
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  05:27:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
How careful were people with ranking the questions? I sorta half-assed that part.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  07:20:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I tried to rank them.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  07:35:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
It still doesn't work for me [grumble] Damn, now I'm curious.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  02:42:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

How careful were people with ranking the questions? I sorta half-assed that part.

I gave most of the questions a low priority. I also choose 'Not Applicable' a lot.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  04:32:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Damn, guys, be careful. If you piss off the Unitarians, they come and burn a huge question mark on your lawn...

Indeed!

I am reminded of a story that was told to me when I was a kid.

The world was about to come to an end, once and for all this time. God was going back on his word to Noah, as gods are wont to do when the notion takes them, and was about to drown the whole shitaree like an unwanted litter of kittens. But this time there'd be no survivors to screw it all up a few millina later. So all of the religions and their sects began to prepare for the final judgment. The Baptists washed each other's feet and went into their closets to pray; the Catholics held Mass, the ceremony breath-taking in it's splendor and piety; The Muslims spread their carpets and bowed toward Mecca, praying with a fervor unseen since the rise of the Prophet.

And the Unitarians learned to breath under water.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  08:28:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Apparently I'm a Bishop Spong Christian(a.k.a. "Biblical Revisionist")

- You think the Bible is a powerful metaphorical narrative (true)
and believe that Jesus was a heroic figure similar to Gandhi. (true)
- You believe in God as a loving creator and that She will forgive you for just about anything. (FALSE)
- You're willing to admit that you don't believe in the resurrection. (True)
- You go to church for the sense of community (False, I don't go)
- and the music and because you like to hector your fellow Christians about their backward ways (True and false).
- You read Toni Morrison, Elaine Pagels, and Bishop Spong, the controversial Episcopalian prelate (One out of three).
- You enjoyed the "The Da Vinci Code" as a thriller and found its ideas about Christian history thought-provoking, if not always historically accurate (Okay, I'll admit it, that's true).
- Though you probably didn't see it, you're sure that "The Passion of the Christ" presented an utterly backward version of Christianity. (I saw it. I thought it was designed to make Christians feel incredibly guilty.)
- You ardently support gay rights (true)
- and feel guilty that you yourself are not gay (false).
- (If you are gay, you're in a loving, committed relationship) (If I were gay, that would likely be true.)
- You live in a leafy university town (false),
- order Chai at the local coffee house (never Starbucks) (True),
- and subscribe to The New Yorker (False, but I love it).
- You watch TV so you can talk disdainfully about how bad TV is (False, I watch only The West Wing and Futurama reruns).
- You give to charity (True),
- preferring the local homeless shelter to those bureaucratic national charities (False, I guess. I give to both).
- For you, the crux of Christianity is Jesus' revolutionary message of empowering "the least of these." (False, but in all fairness I'm an agnostic taking a test for Christians, so how could they know.)

Final Score: True - 10
False - 10

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.