police presence laughable at antiwar protest
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  16:24:32  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Oh this was such a crack up, I thought about putting it the humor section.

I just spent a couple hours this morning on a corner with only about 10 other folks holding up anti-war signs. We were at the main intersection of a town that literally has ONE main intersection. They don't even have their own police, they rent them from the county sheriff department.

So there was this patrol car, assigned to park behind us the whole time we were there. He even had to come lecture everyone that if we blocked traffic we'd be arrested. Then he harassed one kid who crossed the street too late coming over to the corner site and got caught in the crosswalk when the light turned red.

Well, if that wasn't enough, at least 2 more patrol cars drove by the intersection every few minutes. I exaggerate not!!!! It could have been more than 2 but one was a sedan and one was a 4X4 so I know there were at least 2.

This in a town that probably doesn't even have 24 hour police coverage.

What on Earth did they think we were going to do? Or, maybe there was extra Homeland Security money to be wasted? Mind boggling!

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  19:20:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
You should have brought the video camera with you to document the event.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  07:18:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Oh this was such a crack up, I thought about putting it the humor section.

I just spent a couple hours this morning on a corner with only about 10 other folks holding up anti-war signs. We were at the main intersection of a town that literally has ONE main intersection. They don't even have their own police, they rent them from the county sheriff department.

So there was this patrol car, assigned to park behind us the whole time we were there. He even had to come lecture everyone that if we blocked traffic we'd be arrested. Then he harassed one kid who crossed the street too late coming over to the corner site and got caught in the crosswalk when the light turned red.

Well, if that wasn't enough, at least 2 more patrol cars drove by the intersection every few minutes. I exaggerate not!!!! It could have been more than 2 but one was a sedan and one was a 4X4 so I know there were at least 2.

This in a town that probably doesn't even have 24 hour police coverage.

What on Earth did they think we were going to do? Or, maybe there was extra Homeland Security money to be wasted? Mind boggling!

Aren't they supposed to make sure that all protests are peaceful? It also sounds like that was all going on in the town and it gave them something to do.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  07:25:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
They were probably there to protect you from police brutality.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  07:31:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Makes me think of Nazi Germany when it was against the law to be a pacifist.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  07:57:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

Makes me think of Nazi Germany when it was against the law to be a pacifist.

Sounds like rhetoric to me. They were not arrested and it is not against the law to be a pacifist. It would serve protesters better if they would not exaggerate the truth.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  08:04:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

Sounds like rhetoric to me. They were not arrested and it is not against the law to be a pacifist. It would serve protesters better if they would not exaggerate the truth.

Perhaps. It would also be better if the President who says the words "liberty" and/or "freedom" practically every time he opens his mouth didn't screen his audiences.

C'est la vie.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Edited by - Wendy on 01/21/2005 08:07:21
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  01:34:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Turns out the police presence was extremely heavy all over the county. They are still reacting to the WTO protests from several years ago.

I went to give some vaccinations to police at a local department and a bunch of them were returning from overtime shifts to cover all the 'protests'.

Even on the West Coast we spent a lot of tax monies on that stupid inauguration.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.