Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Anyone close to Kitchener, Ontario, Canada?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  18:11:14  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Hello!

I'm looking for someone who lives near Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
I need help to buy some electronic equipment to be shipped home to Sweden.
Preferably registered Ebay user with a paypal account.

Details to be worked out over PM...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 01/21/2005 18:13:06

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  07:27:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I think you're closer to it than I am

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  19:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

I think you're closer to it than I am

Yeah.

I just stumbled into another problem.
Shipping the package from Canada to Sweden cost more the the equipment itself, if you're sending it with DHL, UPS, or FedEx.
For christ's sake, the equipment is only a 1 module high 19" rack mounted unit. It's not more than 5 kg (10 pounds). They want almost $200 USD for shipping!

Edited to add: If someone can suggest a cheaper way of transpoting it here, I'm all ears...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 01/22/2005 20:00:54
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  20:09:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I once had an anvil shipped overnight to me from Chicago. The anvil cost $50. Shipping was $55.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  11:57:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Edited to add: If someone can suggest a cheaper way of transpoting it here, I'm all ears...

Just wait and see if the Navy has any success on their psychic teleportation.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  12:28:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I once had an anvil shipped overnight to me from Chicago. The anvil cost $50. Shipping was $55.

They don't have anvils in NoVa, Dave?
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  13:35:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Why exactly did you need an anvil?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  20:49:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

Why exactly did you need an anvil?

Must have been before Verlch started posting here.

Sorry V.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  23:16:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I guess I can't leave that anvil story hanging, can I?

Long ago, for a hobby, I used to make medieval-style armor. Mostly chainmail, but some plate as well. Lots of leather work, either way, too. I broke a lot of bricks, and ruined a lot of blocks of wood, trying to pound rivets or bend metal on them. Obviously, they weren't solid enough to withstand the punishment of a 32-ounce hammer.

One Halloween was approaching, and I had bunch of pieces of armor I wanted to wear to parties and whatnot. But, I knew there was no way I was going to be able to finish it all on time if I kept on breaking stuff when trying to build this suit. Time was short, and the local hardware store had no anvils for sale. So, I picked up my favorite tool catalog, and then picked up the phone, and ordered a small anvil (they had 500-pound anvils available, but I lived in a 2nd-floor condo) for overnight delivery.

At the time, I had the money to blow on extra shipping charges.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  14:45:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Awesome!

I'm going to try to persuade my brother to persuade his American girlfriend to buy one and bring it here (as a "gift") next time she's coming over. That way I'll also avoid sales tax and custom fees that would have added another 30-32% on the price.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  16:56:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Don't they have anvils in Sweden, Mab?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  18:29:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Don't they have anvils in Sweden, Mab?

Of course they do... How do you think Vikings put their gear together?

I was thinking more like "awesome, the dude makes his own armour".
I'll try to get some photos scanned of a local event known as "Hova Riddarvecka". It's a festival in the small town of Hova 50km south-west of here that has a medieval theme. "The Knight's Festival" lasts for a week, and participants are invited to bring their own medieval clothing/gear. The Swedish Anachronism Club have jousting in full knight's armour, including mock sword-fighting (but not riding on each other with lances, only on dummy targets). Almost like the movie Ivanhoe.

Oh, yeah... eh. I wasn't referring to anvils, but the 19" rack module (a Behringer UltraDrive digital crossover filter. You can get a used one for $200-250 in the states, in Sweden with current exchange rates a new would be around $600.)

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 01/29/2005 18:36:19
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  00:41:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I was thinking more like "awesome, the dude makes his own armour".
Thanks, but it was fake stuff. I didn't weld or rivet the chainmail together, and the plate was doubled or tripled 22-guage autobody steel.
quote:
I'll try to get some photos scanned of a local event known as "Hova Riddarvecka". It's a festival in the small town of Hova 50km south-west of here that has a medieval theme. "The Knight's Festival" lasts for a week, and participants are invited to bring their own medieval clothing/gear. The Swedish Anachronism Club have jousting in full knight's armour, including mock sword-fighting (but not riding on each other with lances, only on dummy targets). Almost like the movie Ivanhoe.
Here's the Maryland Renaissance Festival. I've never actually been to it, and have heard awful things about how it's gone over to crass commercialization in the last 15 years, but there's lots of armor and jousting (not at targets!) and whatnot. Heck, the State Sport of Maryland is jousting.
quote:
Oh, yeah... eh. I wasn't referring to anvils, but the 19" rack module...
I figured as much, but had to play with the pronoun trouble.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  04:34:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
quote:
Oh, yeah... eh. I wasn't referring to anvils, but the 19" rack module...
I figured as much, but had to play with the pronoun trouble.

I don't blame you, I'v done the same on many occasions.
Should have realized I gave you a perfect pass.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.