New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  07:52:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

[..... I was thinking of the murder-rapist that was executed ten years or so ago. I recall there were crowds of people cheering outside the prison the morning he was killed. ....

Perhaps you meant Ted Bundy.

Yeah. That's who I was thinking of. He was the murder/rapist, right? Dahlmer was the bi-curious cannibal.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  08:08:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Yes, I'm generalizing over all prison populations.

Okay. Would all prisoners in the general population be eligable to work in the community, or would you suggest the more violent be put to work inside?

quote:

And, I wasn't considering letting prisoners out into the local community unsupervised. If they are out doing manual labor, they are chained, and skilled work can be setup in the prison facilities themselves when applicable.

I did understand you were not suggesting prisoners be unsupervised. That was one of the reasons why I thought your idea sounded expensive - the need for personnel to guard prisoners out in the community.

quote:

The other thing (I don't know your level of experience with the military) is that people who have been living under strict military discipline for months are not going to be thinking of much other than how to avoid the wrath of the DI. I'm thinking that 2 or 3 DIs and a squad of armed and riot armored guards are all you'd need to keep 40 prisoners under total control outside of a prison doing some manual labor.

I assume in your example you are referring to the average young person who enlists in the military, not hardened criminals. Might they not react differently? Also, if boot camp went on forever, wouldn't the fear of the DI lessen over time?

quote:

Add in the wonderfull ability we have to place a tracking device on the ankle or wrist of any person, and even if they escaped, it'd be very temporary.

Devices have a nasty habit of failing. Dead criminals never commit another crime.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.