Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  19:14:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Astropin have presented a natural explanation to the phenomena. I've seen a science program where this was discussed, so I can corroborate Astropin's explanation. Thus, according to Occam's Razor, there is no need for a paranormal explanation.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 02/03/2005 21:19:04
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  21:01:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm
maybe we all could do these things with our minds... It is so vast.. Why limlit it!
Because the brain has limits. We all have limits. The purpose of science is to discover where those limits lie.

It's ok to speculate within reason. But your suggestion would be an example of engaging in unreasonable speculation. It's as if you said, "We know so little about the human foot. Maybe some people can jump 50 feet straight into the air. Maybe we all can!" Knowing what we know about the human foot, this is simply beyond its limitations and so, impossible.

Furthermore, jumping is at least something we know a foot to be capable of. Materializing images outside of the body is not something we know brains to be capable of, so to suggest that a brain could project one's duplicate image into a different location is totally unreasonable. Again, it would be as if you said "What if some people's feet allow them to breathe under lava? What if we all have that hidden capability? Why limit the foot!"

You simply are not engaging in reasonable speculation. Don't expect anyone to treat your suggestions as anything other than childish daydreaming. It's a silly idea on its face.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/31/2005 21:02:55
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  21:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Yes, I project my evil doppleganger into the offices of major corporations to steal industrial secrets. I'm now a multibillionair and have publicly retired to a life of luxury in which I travel to one of my 12 mansions every month. Of course, each mansion is in a geographic location where the outdoor temperature remains between 65 and 75 degrees farenheit during the month I spend there... because if I get exposed to temperatures higher than 75 it could damage my brain's ability to project my evil doppleganger.

Of course you ask why I have to maintain this ability? Because of the freemasons and owl-worshippers who secretly run the companies I have stolen from. I have to keep my powers to spy on them and protect myself from them. Otherwise they'd be sending assassins all the time, and it gets old dodging them.

Of course I am also training up a few assistants. Once they have developed their powers I will have them to guard me and seek others for training. When we have established a sufficient power base (currently contemplating taking over China) we can begin efforts to eliminate those pesky freemasons and their allies, the Gnomes in Zurich. Damn those tunelling little bastards. They hoard most of the world's wealth and keep tight control over the flow of money around the world you know.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  20:18:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Fnord

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  23:11:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Nito: You pushed Stevil's character into a spiked pit and doused him with flaming oil! What were you thinking?

Newt: I gave him the doppleganger challenge and he didn't know the password.

Nito: Well it's all nice and good that you came up with the idea of a doppleganger code but you failed to share the password with the others!

-- KODT BOT Volume six

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  23:21:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
-- KODT BOT Volume six

How many gaming geeks do we have here? hehe.

KODT is great. Cracks me up every time.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Faustus

3 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  09:20:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Faustus a Private Message
HI everybody,

I think there is a misconception in the very first post in this thread, the word "Doppelgänger" has normally no ghostly connotation in german. It normally just means somebody who is looking very simular to another person. What is discussed here would be called as " Astralprojection" or "Astralkoerper". Bilokation would be used simular to bi-location.

Sorry if I sound too much like a smart ass.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  10:06:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faustus

HI everybody,

I think there is a misconception in the very first post in this thread, the word "Doppelgänger" has normally no ghostly connotation in german. It normally just means somebody who is looking very simular to another person. What is discussed here would be called as " Astralprojection" or "Astralkoerper". Bilokation would be used simular to bi-location.

Sorry if I sound too much like a smart ass.

Nein, Herr Doktor. You're totally right. I just assumed that Storm was using the term as its commonly used in paranormal-studies circles. Perhaps, but perhaps not-- since I don't follow the latest woo-woo stuff ( Storm), I don't know...
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  13:00:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
And welcome! Not smartass at all

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Faustus

3 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  00:53:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Faustus a Private Message
Thanks for the welcome and "Danke fuer die Blumen", but there is no Doktor involved at all.

Storm,

if you want to be honest to yourself have you ever thought about doing the "Randy test" for yourself? Just ask a friend of yours to put something up where you can't see it and try to have a look at it while you have some OBE. To avoid the common traps that you think you nearly got it take something very common you will recognize immediately at an
uncommon place. Something like, let's say, a can of beams on your desktop. If you get it right you might have something to look deeper into it. This will work of course only if you get this experience by will and there is not much time between the setup and you try.

quote:
I just assumed that Storm was using the term as its commonly used in paranormal-studies circles

This might be if the woo woo circles over there are using german. I can't imagine that those esoteric circles here are starting to use such a common word with a different meaning. But is has been some years since I had friends attached to these scene. Maybe there is some mixing up with the word "wiedergaenger" which is quite old and has the meaning of somebody raised from the dead.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  03:03:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FaustusThis might be if the woo woo circles over there are using german. I can't imagine that those esoteric circles here are starting to use such a common word with a different meaning. But is has been some years since I had friends attached to these scene. Maybe there is some mixing up with the word "wiedergaenger" which is quite old and has the meaning of somebody raised from the dead.
No, you're right. I think even in woo woo circles the term is bi-location. I believe Storm was simply suggesting that bi-location can account for the phenomenon known as a Doppelgänger.

You know woo woo's. Always trying to explain one ridiculous premise with another. The "psychic energy" she's so fond of can explain a great deal of things. It's just that she hasn't yet been able to say what this energy is, what produces it, how it behaves differently from regular energy, nor how we go about detecting it. But fear not, Storm assures us that she is making great progress in all of these areas and will soon have the matter solved. So far we know that this heretofore unknown energy is "all natural," and that it comes from dead people. Oh, and also, psychics are particular good at finding this energy and using it to "see" things that previously happened, although again, it isn't yet known how this possibly occurs.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  06:15:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faustus

Thanks for the welcome and "Danke fuer die Blumen", but there is no Doktor involved at all.

But there's a sort of famous literary motif of a guy named Faust...
Go to Top of Page

Faustus

3 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  10:01:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Faustus a Private Message
Yes I know, but neither I'm a scholar or have I ever met the devil *sigh* ;-) . Good link, there was quite some info that I didn't know from this character.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  10:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:
-- KODT BOT Volume six

How many gaming geeks do we have here? hehe.

KODT is great. Cracks me up every time.

(sheepishly raises hand)

KODT is very funny. So is Nodwick. (Where is my Duct Tape of Healing +6?)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  16:53:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
It's as if you said, "We know so little about the human foot. Maybe some people can jump 50 feet straight into the air. Maybe we all can!" Knowing what we know about the human foot, this is simply beyond its limitations and so, impossible.

No it is not what I said .... We cannot compare the human brain to the foot.... Like comparing apples to oranges... While yes they are similiar in many ways they are also different... Just remember the conversation and talk of false memories... The mind is a vast and complex sysytem one that science has not yet been able to fully understand... The foot well.. let us not compare...

Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:

Materializing images outside of the body is not something we know brains to be capable of, so to suggest that a brain could project one's duplicate image into a different location is totally unreasonable. Again, it would be as if you said "What if some people's feet allow them to breathe under lava? What if we all have that hidden capability? Why limit the foot!"

Well.. that is not exactly true H. Humbert... there are documented cases with multiple witnesses look at just the one link I believe filthy left .... But we do not have documented cases of peoples feet breathing under water...
I think there is a difference between a Doppelganger and astral projection ....
The Doppelganger is a psychological split from the self... due to stress, grief... where as The bi-location or Astral projection is the deliberate projected self image...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.