Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 All vampyres do not necessarly suck blood.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  06:58:12  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Except perhaps figuritivly.

If you've been wondering about the ethics of credit companies, wonder no longer:
quote:
Up to 70% interest - credit card aimed at the poor

Patrick Collinson
Saturday February 12, 2005
The Guardian

A new credit card aimed at millions of low-income families is to charge interest at up to 70% - the highest ever charged by a credit card company.

Marketed under the slogan: "Stay in control of your budgeting", the typical interest rate on the new Vanquis card will be 49.9%, but for some customers the company judge as high risk, it will be 69.5%. MPs and debt campaigners yesterday condemned the rate, which is 15 times the Bank of England base rate and triple the standard rate on other cards. The card also has an annual fee of £19.

This looks like something Bush would approve of. Will a clone of it hit the States soon? Has it already?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  09:25:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
If you've been wondering about the ethics of credit companies, wonder no longer:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Up to 70% interest - credit card aimed at the poor

Patrick Collinson
Saturday February 12, 2005
The Guardian

A new credit card aimed at millions of low-income families is to charge interest at up to 70% - the highest ever charged by a credit card company.

Marketed under the slogan: "Stay in control of your budgeting", the typical interest rate on the new Vanquis card will be 49.9%, but for some customers the company judge as high risk, it will be 69.5%. MPs and debt campaigners yesterday condemned the rate, which is 15 times the Bank of England base rate and triple the standard rate on other cards. The card also has an annual fee of £19.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This looks like something Bush would approve of. Will a clone of it hit the States soon? Has it already?

I don't know if the US has a similar credit card, but we do have tax refund anticipation loans.

Effective annual interest rates (interest plus fees) are usually over 100% and can be as high as 1700%. Its hard to believe this kind of rip-off is legal.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  09:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
This reminds me of a verse from a Woody Guthrie song called
“Pretty Boy Floyd”

Now as through this world I ramble
I see lots of funny men
Some will rob you with a Six gun
And some with a fountain pen.
But as through your life you travel
As through your life you roam
You won't never see an outlaw
Drive a family from their home.

Vampires indeed. And they do their sucking in the light of day…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  12:42:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
This Frontline program, "The Secret History of the Credit Card", was on recently. You can view it online from the link. It was excellent.

I always pay my cards off every month but have paid a late fee or two out of carelessness. I got so angry at the scams revealed on the program I decided they weren't going to get another late fee from me again.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/12/2005 12:43:52
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  13:26:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
When I was running my little trucking endevor, I carried $15,000 worth of plastic on the road with me in case I lost engine 2,000 miles from the terminal. Fortunatly, I never had to go into it beyond the odd tire, now and then.

I don't know what the usury laws are, but I suspect that the credit companies skirt dangerously close to the edge of them.

There is at least one outfit, that I know of, that will make a loan against a tax refund, but I don't know how many pounds of flesh they get for the service. I would rather wait for the refund, myself.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.