New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  14:10:51  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
A judge in Tennessee has ordered immigrant mothers to learn English or possibly have their children taken away.

It certainly would be a good idea for these women to learn English, and good for their kids, but can a judge really order them to? If there is a legitimate issue of neglect or abuse, then removing the children may be in order, but does a failure to assimilate reach that level?

Of course a local insurance agent said it best:

quote:
"the general sentiment is, if people are going to be in this country, we all have a moral obligation to learn to speak the language," said Bob Bright, 61, who runs an insurance agency in Lebanon.

"I know if I was in Mexico I would make an effort to learn Hispanic."

Umm, I dunno, Bob, you may want to work a little more on your Anglo before you go tackling Hispanic (or Oriental, I hear that's really tough to learn).

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  15:57:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

I was under the impression that the official language of Mexico was Spanish. In fact, I was unaware that "Hispanic" was a language!! Gee, looks like the local rednecks can learn us somethin afterall.

Some days you just have to laugh at the ignorance of your fellow humans.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 02/20/2005 15:59:28
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  19:23:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
The weirdest part I found wasr:

quote:
At a hearing last month to monitor the mother's custody of the child, Wilson County Judge Barry Tatum instructed the woman... to use birth control, the Lebanon Democrat newspaper reported.

Why would he order this?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  00:44:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Why would he order this?

Maybe he's trying to get himself fired? I'm pretty sure that no judge can legally order anyone to use birth control.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

sumnihil

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  11:03:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sumnihil a Private Message
i absolutely agree with that judge! i mean, when our ancestors came here, the first thing they did was work diligently to learn the language and respect the culture of others who had been here first. i mean, whose grandparents didn't speak at least a little algonquin? since we made the effort of assimilation so many years ago, i don't see why we shouldn't force others through due process of law to assimilate to us now.

in fact, this should become a nationwide campaign! think of the glory! all we have to do is force immigrants, upon request of a work/study visa, to sign a form stating not only allegiance to this country and it's ideals, but also a second form.

a waiver, stating in no uncertain terms that, as they have now crossed into our borders, all rights, customs, cultural norms, and languages that they have grown up with are now forfeit. they must not act, dress, speak, or think as a "foreigner" anymore. they are 100% american now, and will be recognized as full citizens, complete with the rights and responsibilities thereof, just as soon as they get that s.u.v., fox news network, state issued kjv bible, addiction to starbuck's, and new wardrobe from the gap.

that'll show those "enemies of freedom" we mean business.

all great truths began as blasphemies.
--g.b. shaw

yes, i am aware that i do not use capital letters. it is discrimination, and discrimination is wrong. period.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  08:55:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

A judge in Tennessee has ordered immigrant mothers to learn English or possibly have their children taken away.

It certainly would be a good idea for these women to learn English, and good for their kids, but can a judge really order them to? If there is a legitimate issue of neglect or abuse, then removing the children may be in order, but does a failure to assimilate reach that level?

Of course a local insurance agent said it best:

quote:
"the general sentiment is, if people are going to be in this country, we all have a moral obligation to learn to speak the language," said Bob Bright, 61, who runs an insurance agency in Lebanon.

Umm, I dunno, Bob, you may want to work a little more on your Anglo before you go tackling Hispanic (or Oriental, I hear that's really tough to learn).

Since there is no official language of the US and I know of no state which has an official language, his ruling is way overboard. In Chicago alone, there are some communities where signs in the shop windows are in Chinese, Japanese, Polish, Spanish, and English. As English is used primarily in the US, it would be advantageous for the woman and her children to learn the language.

This just smacks of the whole "English First" anti-immigration movement. Threatening removal of children because they don't learn English is a slap in the face of the nature of the US. Missouri Synod Lutheran churches in the US didn't switch their record keeping from German to English until the end of the First World War. Children of immigrants are usually exposed to and taught English by the school system.

I wish I could say that I was surprised by the ruling, but I'm not given the xenophobic nature of the folks in Tennessee.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.