New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  16:42:32  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Look at this photo from the surface of Mars, and the explanation. Pretty cool.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0223_050223_mars.html

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  17:11:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I find it very interesting. Of course, it still remains to be seen.

I am reminded that there are several species of worm that inhabit glaciers. And also the Cook Mountain weta, a cricket living above the frost line that freezes each night. It's proably unlikely that such will ever be found on Mars, but it shows just how resilient life can be.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  05:06:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
If given enough time to evolve, there certainly could be similar life.
The question is, how long time did life have on Mars before it froze over?
It took 3 billion years on Earth for multicellular life to evolve.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  07:14:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
It took a surprisingly short time for life to evolve on Earth but as you pointed out Dr. Mabuse, it took a surprisingly long time for multi-cellular life to evolve. I think the symbiotic relationship between single cell creatures and bacteria (mitochondria) allowed the formation of multi-cellular life. It may be that life is relatively common in the universe but multi-cellular life is very rare. I think this was a belief held by Isaac Asimov.

A lot of 'I thinks' and suppositions in that parargraph - but what the hey.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  07:40:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

It took a surprisingly short time for life to evolve on Earth but as you pointed out Dr. Mabuse, it took a surprisingly long time for multi-cellular life to evolve. I think the symbiotic relationship between single cell creatures and bacteria (mitochondria) allowed the formation of multi-cellular life. It may be that life is relatively common in the universe but multi-cellular life is very rare. I think this was a belief held by Isaac Asimov.

A lot of 'I thinks' and suppositions in that parargraph - but what the hey.

Who can say?

I think that anywhere that meets the conditions necessary for life, life of some sort will begin; then evolution will kick in. How far and where that evolution will go under given conditions, and what conditions are necessary, are the questions. But as has been demonstrated here on earth, multicellular live thrives in places that would kill us instantly; deep sea volcanic vents, for example.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well it remains to be seen for a fact that

1) Life is there
2) Life started there independently
3) Life started there and migrated here or vice versa
4) Our knowledge of life pontential is even close to total

Also we are discovering more and more places where life exists in places we previously assumed it could not link1 , link2, what is to say that multicellular life could also not develop such adapability? Frozen frog

It should be noted as well that just because it took a few billion years for multi-celled creatures to first appear, it should not be assumed that it will always take so long or that life needs to develop to a certain point before it happens. If earthly evolution ran again it might have developed sooner or not at all, we cant say. That does not mean the single celled creatures were less diverse or complex.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  14:41:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur
It may be that life is relatively common in the universe but multi-cellular life is very rare. I think this was a belief held by Isaac Asimov.
His view was understandable. Class F stars, though they have much shorter life-span, can possibly harbour planets with bacterial life on it. The spectrum from them does not contain too much UV-light (to be dis-infective). But if 3 billion years is the norm for multi-cellular life, then they are out of luck.

Class F, G, and K (slightly cooler) together makes a substantial amount of stars that can support life.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  09:20:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
We have one planet and clearly it is not enough to make assumptions about the length of development for multicelled creatures. Asminov should know better, hell theres no saying that we will find cell like stuff in the first place...

For those in the know are all eggs initially one cell? I seem to remember hearing that...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.