Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  02:51:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by latinijral

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

A highly skilled fraud.

If fraud is considered a criminal activity.......why Geller is laughing at you all?

He's not laughing at me. I never gave him either money or support, or bought a ticket to any of his shows. He's laughing at the people he's made fools of, and I'm snickering a little as well.

Y'see, to takes at least two people to run a swindle; the swindler and his believer(s). And a proper swindle will leave the believers still believing.

Has he made a fool of you, latinijral?

As mentioned above, stage flim-flams such as Geller's and Edward's (worse yet!) are perfectly legal.

I sneer at Geller and all of his works, and all of his ilk.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/28/2005 02:54:47
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  07:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Troll sighting.

Hijacking your thread now.

Did I hijack any thread you created before?
Why are you afraid to answer just simple questions of my opening post?

Dave where are you?( I know you read everything I post) Your “dude” is giving a bad example to your forum.

quote:

NEW QUESTION!

Do you consider latinijral to be a fraud?

If so, why?

If you are obsessed with me , why don't you just start a new topic with my nick on it? Common , don't be afraid ! Make another “pseudo skeptic” poll ! The "results" will make you feel a pseudo skeptic winner.

quote:

Let me start! Yes. Total fraud.

He has repeatedly made accuasations without any evidence to support them.

Examples please.

quote:

He calls himself the "father of the 'new skepticism' " and refuses to answer when asked what qualifies him to have such a title.

You will be the judge? Who or what qualifies you to be my judge?
Until now ....NADA

quote:

He is obsessed with Randi because the JREF refused to award the prize to his delusional friend who submitted a video of the WTC attack (with some blurry spot) as evidence of the paranormal.

Are you obsessed with Carlos/JREF case again?
Common , make a topic about that subject and prove your claim.
Don't be afraid. This is not the JREF forum , then it is not a taboo topic.

quote:

He has trolled this board repeatedly in multiple threads in his obsessive quest to slander the JREF and people associated with it.

Multiple threads? Any evidence?
I just created a single one who was closed . Then I decided to opened again , and it is still in discussion because people learned not to hijack the topic ( of course you did not)with Carlos's stuff or juvenile insults.

quote:

I could go on...

I hope so , but please improve yourself. Now you learned a little more, how to do it.
Don't be a troll , listen to Ricky.
Stay on topic.

Father of the new skepticism

Cuneiformist "But yeah, I'm sick of latinijral. And his "new "skepticism"!
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  07:50:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I'm still wondering what is 'new skepticism' and what makes it different from the... not new one.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  08:47:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

I'm still wondering what is 'new skepticism' and what makes it different from the... not new one.

I'll be damned if I know, although I suspect that it's something to do with becoming fixated on a single side of a topic and never peering 'round the corner, even if you hear a party going on 'round there.

But I'm probably wrong. Perhaps, in the fullness of time, latinijral will enlighten us.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  08:48:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:

As far as I can tell, it is believing blurs on a tape are supernatural, Uri Geller is not a fake, and attacking anyone who doesn't agree with your views.

But, another way to look at it is trying to give (in his mind) phanomanon that skepitcs seem to dismiss out of hand a fair shake. He doesn't realise that most of these we have already looked over and have found wanting. Granted, if new evedence comes up we will look at it again, but new evedence is hard to find on many of these phanomanon, and what most think is new evedence turns out to be the same old after we look closer at it.

Then again, it may just be his phrase for his gruge against skeptics....

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Edited by - Paulos23 on 02/28/2005 08:49:39
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  09:16:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Just replace "skepticism" with "age", and that is what "new skepticism" is. Or at least that is what it sounds like.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  18:30:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Dave where are you?( I know you read everything I post)
Only because I read everything. You're not special.
quote:
Your “dude” is giving a bad example to your forum.
I seriously doubt you're in any position to pass judgement on what is or is not a "bad example" here. As you wrote to Dude, "Who or what qualifies you to be my judge?"

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  21:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
I believe that James Randi in his book "Flim Flam" did a nice job debunking Uri Geller's so called skills. Not scientifically controlled, but Uri failed spectacularly.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  23:37:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

Dave where are you?( I know you read everything I post) .

Only because I read everything. You're not special. .

I was right, you read everything I post.
I have no evidence you read the rest of the posters here.Sorry.

quote:

quote:

Your “dude” is giving a bad example to your forum. .

I seriously doubt you're in any position to pass judgement on what is or is not a "bad example" here. As you wrote to Dude, "Who or what qualifies you to be my judge?" .

Did I judge you?
No , you are the self –confessed double speech judge of this forum.
The one who can close threads or allow your dudes to hijack threads with nonsense.
Again , your “dude” is giving a bad example to your forum.
He is just a hit and run poster.
Or do you think he did a “good example to your forum ” response to my opening post?
Answer please.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  03:29:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Dave where are you?( I know you read everything I post) .

Only because I read everything. You're not special. .

I was right, you read everything I post.
I have no evidence you read the rest of the posters here.Sorry.

quote:

quote:

Your “dude” is giving a bad example to your forum. .

I seriously doubt you're in any position to pass judgement on what is or is not a "bad example" here. As you wrote to Dude, "Who or what qualifies you to be my judge?" .

Did I judge you?
No , you are the self –confessed double speech judge of this forum.
The one who can close threads or allow your dudes to hijack threads with nonsense.
Again , your “dude” is giving a bad example to your forum.
He is just a hit and run poster.
Or do you think he did a “good example to your forum ” response to my opening post?
Answer please.

Trust me, Dave reads 'em; every single, tedious one.

Actually, all of us read most of them, and we at least look at all of the threads. So there's really no reason to harp upon that -- it doesn't mean anything other than we tend to be studious as well as skeptical.

Dude is hardly "hit & run." If you wish to converse with him, I've no doubt he'll be easy to find; indeed, you'll scarcly have to look.

Latinijral my friend, you need to come up with some evidence other than ancedote and hearsay if you want to make any kind of positive impression here. Bitchin' about the staff and members ain't cuttin' it. In fact, this behavior would probably get you shit-canned anywhere else. Observe, you are not only still free to post here, and are likely to remain free to post here, but every word that you have written, closed thread or not, is still available for view by anyone masochistic enough to want to.

Now then, that said, what evidence do you have that Geller is anything but a slight-of-hand artist with a gift for grift?

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/01/2005 03:31:44
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  07:46:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by Filthy

Trust me, Dave reads 'em; every single, tedious one.

Well , well, well……. so you want me to trust you?
And you pretend to be a skeptic?
That is what I had be denouncing about the way the pseudo scepticism acts like just another group of self confessed believers:”trust me , please”

quote:
Actually, all of us read most of them, and we at least look at all of the threads. So there's really no reason to harp upon that -- it doesn't mean anything other than we tend to be studious as well as skeptical.

Your second error as an skeptic : you are using a logical fallacy.
Who gave you the power to speak in name of “all of us” ( including “judge” Dave)?
What special paranormal powers you pretend to have, that can allow you to know what the rest of your “dudes” do or not?

quote:

Dude is hardly "hit & run." If you wish to converse with him, I've no doubt he'll be easy to find; indeed, you'll scarcly have to look.

My reply to his juvenile,out of topic and nonsense post is there, before your reply.

quote:
Latinijral my friend, you need to come up with some evidence other than ancedote and hearsay if you want to make any kind of positive impression here. Bitchin' about the staff and members ain't cuttin' it. In fact, this behavior would probably get you shit-canned anywhere else. Observe, you are not only still free to post here, and are likely to remain free to post here, but every word that you have written, closed thread or not, is still available for view by anyone masochistic enough to want to.

More bla bla bla out of topic.

quote:

Now then, that said, what evidence do you have that Geller is anything but a slight-of-hand artist with a gift for grift?

Wow ! You mentioned Geller!
The only problem is that you “think” I created this topic with the promise that I will bring evidence that Geller is anything but a slight-of-hand artist with a gift for grift.

You are wrong again , my dear friend Filthy.
Read again my opening post , please.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  08:20:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Latinijral, at quote-mining and attacking straw men, you have few peers. I salute you.

Now, again I ask, probably in futility, for empirical evidence in favor of the charlaton Geller actually being able to do what he claims. If you cannot produce such, I will have no choice but to conclude that the 'new skeptism' is no more than a collecting of opinions, stories, slander, and on-line gossip.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  08:31:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Well , well, well……. so you want me to trust you?
And you pretend to be a skeptic?

This "new skepticism" seems not to involve using a brain.
At least latinijral provides some humor...
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  08:35:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman
This "new skepticism" seems not to involve using a brain.
At least latinijral provides some humor...

Indeed, if it weren't for it's obvious sillyness I would embrace it solely for this reason

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

belt

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  08:47:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send belt a Private Message
Latin, there have been answers in this thread to your first post. Why don't you spill what you obviously want to tell us about Geller.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.