Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  23:40:52  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/02/20/bush.tapes.ap/

Bush admits to smoking pot.

Seriously, I really don't care if he did.

It's just the staggering hypocrisy of the political rightwing these days....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  01:57:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Nobody cares, really. But it's a lot of fun to make relativly harmless noise about it.

What makes me uncomfortable with the whole thing is that Wead let some of these tapes get public. Is he really that stupid? And also why were they made in the first place? (Yeah, I know -- history and all that happy, ol' crap.) Are we seeing another smoke screen, here? If so, what's it hiding?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  08:50:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:

Hey filthy, looks like you and Dubya agree on one thing at least. Now, if we could just get you two together over a couple of bowls of Maui Wowie, this country might start making some real progress.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  12:31:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Nobody cares, really. But it's a lot of fun to make relativly harmless noise about it.

What makes me uncomfortable with the whole thing is that Wead let some of these tapes get public. Is he really that stupid? And also why were they made in the first place? (Yeah, I know -- history and all that happy, ol' crap.) Are we seeing another smoke screen, here? If so, what's it hiding?

I think it was pretty clear the tape release coincided with the guy's book release.

As to Bush's drunk driving record, his cocaine use, his alcoholism, and his rich kid draft dodge, the pot smoking pales in comparison. The real issue is there is how did the Republicans manage to get the press to give Bush a pass on all that crap while the Democrats were killed by the press time and time again over similar or less offensive pasts. Even now the tapes have faded from the news.

I'm not even talking media control necessarily, I'm talking very clever PR manipulating.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/27/2005 12:33:23
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  13:32:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
The problem is the democrates say "so what, whats the big deal?" and all of the rebublicans just look sheepish and complain about the messenger.

If the tables were turned and it was a Democrate who smoked pot as a young man the dems would still say "so what, whats the big deal?" and the Republicans would demonize them and rant that they are a law-breakers who cannot be trusted.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  22:25:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

The problem is the democrates say "so what, whats the big deal?" and all of the rebublicans just look sheepish and complain about the messenger.

If the tables were turned and it was a Democrate who smoked pot as a young man the dems would still say "so what, whats the big deal?" and the Republicans would demonize them and rant that they are a law-breakers who cannot be trusted.
And there in lies the problem. The Republicans know full well they are hypocritical. That matters not. What matters is those 'talking points' and the well oiled marketing machine. Democrats need to wake up and quit being outraged at the hypocrisy. They need their own marketing machine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.