Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  13:49:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

I'm not sure why adding another term to confuse people makes things better.
They're really trying to end the "confusion" of having people called atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, secular humanists, etc., who largely believe the same thing when it comes to the supernatural. "Bright" would be an umbrella term, like "car" can refer to Hondas, Fords, Audis, etc.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  13:54:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I know. Yet it is yet another term. People tried to do that with other terms, and now we're left with them all.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  14:36:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Well, I'm a Bright. I don't really do anything. I read the newsletter. But if membership counts, and they have some lobbying to do, I'm happy to be counted. I do wish they had chosen a better name though...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  14:47:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Duane is a good name. Or David. David would be good.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  18:55:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I am an individual. I do not like to categorize myself. I do not bother other people, just so long as they leave me alone about my beliefs (or lack of them).

I have never been religious and have never believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, or any of those endlessly boring silly ideas that most people waste their time with. At the same time, I do not look down on people who have beliefs other than I do, unless, of course, they attempt to proselytize me about them.

I am an individual. I like people who are individuals. I do not join groups where there is proselytization going on.

I have been this way all of my life. I do not proselytize about my beliefs. To live and let live is a great idea, in my estimation.

Whatever...

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  19:57:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I am an individual. I like people who are individuals. I do not join groups where there is proselytization going on.

And when the lynch-mob comes a-knocking at your door?

But seriously, we need groups. How are we supposed to fight against a group that puts the 10 commandments on the steps of a court house or who proposes forced prayer in school? As individuals?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  03:25:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
"People" is a group. Even "individuals" is a group.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

davoarid

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  14:42:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send davoarid a Private Message
I like the idea in principle; that is, I'd prefer a word with a more positive connotation to "atheist." However, the term "Bright" just seems so arrogant. If atheists are "bright", what's that make theists? It's not an image I'd wish to convey.

Hamlet: Do you see yonder cloud that 's almost in shape of a camel?
Polonius: By the mass, and 'tis like a camel, indeed.
Ham: Methinks it is like a weasel.
Pol: It is backed like a weasel.
Ham: Or like a whale?
Pol: Very like a whale.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.