New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  09:32:15  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
As the history of human evolution becomes ever clearer, it becomes even more complicated.
quote:
Like Lucy?

The as yet unnamed fossil creature, found in February at a new site called Mille in the Afar region of Ethiopia, looks to be even older than Lucy.

Could the skeleton be even older than Lucy?
The remains include a complete tibia from the lower part of the leg, parts of the thighbone or femur, ribs, vertebrae, a collarbone, pelvis and a complete shoulder blade.

"The discovery of 12 early hominid fossil specimens estimated to be between 3.8 and 4 million years old will be important in terms of understanding the early phases of human evolution before Lucy," Yohannes Haile Selassie told a news conference.

Researchers are often happy to find isolated bones belonging to human ancestors of this age, so to find a partial skeleton is exceptional.

Questions, wonderful queations. Is this creature of the same species as Lucy, in direct lineage to ourselves? Or is it a subspecies of.... something else? A species perhaps, that spawned it and possibly others, including Lucy. The door is open wide to great speculations awaiting evidence for their confirmation. Most will fail, some few will advance our knowledge.

AiG will claim that it's an ape drowned in the Flood.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  09:45:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Really I would expect many more types to be found, dwarfed only by the number of types that will never be found. Most folks seem to think that the lineage of humanity is pretty well known, but not I.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  10:38:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
A very cool find. The development of theories of human evolution will be worth watching the following years.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  11:43:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Very cool indeed. I couldn't help but notice the caption to the picture:
quote:
Scientists say the bones prove the skeleton walked upright

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  11:57:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

Very cool indeed. I couldn't help but notice the caption to the picture:
quote:
Scientists say the bones prove the skeleton walked upright

I guess that proves the existance of necromancy than

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  14:30:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
AiG will claim that it's an ape drowned in the Flood.

Well, not quite as I predicted, but close enough for government work.
quote:
Hominid Fever

Yet another alleged early human ancestor unearthed

by guest columnist Peter Line, Ph.D.

11 March 2005

It seems these days that there are precious few ordinary human or ape fossils unearthed, rather they all have to be a missing link between the two. The latest contender for ‘apeman' fame, this time as the ‘world's oldest early human skeleton' or ‘oldest walking hominid',1 consists of bones from a site in the northeastern Afar region of Ethiopia, ‘dated' at between 3.8 to 4 million years ago. The remains include a complete tibia and shoulder blade, as well as parts of a femur, ribs, vertebrae, collarbone and pelvis, as well as an ankle bone. The fossil remains of up to 11 other individuals are also reported to have been found. As the finds have not been published in a journal, nor been reviewed by outside scientists, it is difficult to make an assessment of the find at this stage, except what can be interpreted from a few quotes from ‘hominid' fossil experts released to the media.

It is stated that ‘Scientists are yet to classify the new find, which they believe falls between A. ramidus and A. afarensis. The fossils would help “join the dots” between the two hominids, said Yohannes Haile-Selassie, an Ethiopian scientist and curator at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History as well as a co-leader of the discovery team'.2 Falling between Australopithecus ramidus and Australopithecus afarensis (e.g. ‘Lucy') hardly boosts its status as a missing link hominid. According to Peter Andrews, of London's Natural History Museum, the thin enamel on the teeth of ramidus ‘is more of what you'd expect from a fossil chimp', and the features of an upper arm bone ‘suggests knuckle-walking, chimp-style'.3 Even the team that discovered ramidus admits that the specimen ‘shows a host of characters usually associated with modern apes'.4

I've no doubt that as more info is gathered and examined, AiG's blitherings will become yet more amusing. They will pose as experts without ever seeing the specimens nor giving the literature serious study.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.