Politics
 Antonin Scalia v. Thomas Jefferson
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LyricalReckoner

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  17:14:54  Show Profile  Visit LyricalReckoner's Homepage Send LyricalReckoner a Private Message
In the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson wrote that government derives its authority from the consent of the governed. Antonin Scalia doesn't see it that way. In a speech in 2002, he reminded his audience what it says in the Bible: the government is ordained by God. During arguments in Van Orden v. Perry, Scalia said Jefferson was wrong. Our government doesn't derive its authority from the consent of the governed. It “derives its authority from God.” And, he insisted, it's a fact that “the foundation of our laws is God.”

Read all about it:

http://www.misterthorne.org/ESSAYS/scalia_v_jefferson.htm

Enjoy!

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  19:22:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Scalia is a religious whacko who never should have been considered for the SC.

Unfortunatly, he will probably be nominated for chief justice when Renquist croaks and, the current Democrats in Congress being the pantywaists that they are, will be confirmed.

We are losing our democratcy at an alarming rate and nobody seems to give a shit.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  10:12:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
We are losing our democratcy at an alarming rate and nobody seems to give a shit.

I give a shit.

But every letter or email I have ever sent to my elected officials (state and federal) has never recieved anything other than a form response, usually acompanied by some dumbass request to support the candidate in future elections or donate money.

I doubt that any letter ever written by me to these people has been read by a live human.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  12:19:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
I also give a shit, but like Dude all that I've gotten for my trouble is spam and junk mail.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

sweetmiracle
Skeptic Friend

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  13:11:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sweetmiracle a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

I also give a shit, but like Dude all that I've gotten for my trouble is spam and junk mail.

Same here, but all that really matters to most politicos are poll numbers and $$$$$$$.....

Remarkable claims require remarkable proof.

-Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  13:19:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I give a shit, too! Personally, I think Scalia is a giant asshole. And I worry what will happen if he becomes CJ!

My own senator a few times with stock replies (but no offers for money-- but perhaps that's because he's not going to run on '06). Worse, though, are my complaints to the President which, to date, have generated nothing. That is, nothing beyond a Secret Service file and perhaps a wire tap. Alas...
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  13:43:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Now, see.

I give a shit, wrote my Congressman and got a personal response. We exchanged two letters and he let it drop.

I was asking for the President to be impeached for his role in the Iraq debacle.

The other one I have written about first amendment issues, but since my position closely mirrors his, he didn't need to answer.

The only political junk mail so far has surrounded our local trustee and village president races with misrepresentations abounding over some purchases and punctuated by a trustee berating another over campaigning during village meetings.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  13:51:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I give a shit, simply because if something happens to US and the big American ship sinks, we sink along.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  14:02:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yes we've done a very effective job of screwing every over, you folks had better get with the program* or move out of the way.

* The program, in no particular order.
1) Make them all Christians
2) Make our economy the linchpin in world trade.
3) Invade when everyones looking the other way.
4) Await God's blessing as the chosen ones.
5) Get rich polluting the world, then get mad when others try to start doing the same thing.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  06:34:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And this judicial disaster is back in the news again.
quote:
Scalia Slams Juvenile Death Penalty Ruling

Mon Mar 14, 7:53 PM ET

By HOPE YEN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Justice Antonin Scalia (news - web sites) criticized the Supreme Court's recent decision to strike down the juvenile death penalty, calling it the latest example of politics on the court that has made judicial nominations an increasingly bitter process.

In a 35-minute speech Monday, Scalia said unelected judges have no place deciding issues such as abortion and the death penalty. The court's 5-4 ruling March 1 to outlaw the juvenile death penalty based on "evolving notions of decency" was simply a mask for the personal policy preferences of the five-member majority, he said.

Scalia has a lot of words, and a mouth to say them with, but he hates to have them recorded. Could it be that he's been found spewing idiocies, if not outright lying too many times in his past?

I too, give a shit, but alas, my experiences pretty much reflect others mentioned.

With one exception: once, in the mid-eighties, when the VA was jerking me around, Sen, Jesse Helms interviened for me. As much as I opposed his philosophy, I remain grateful for that.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

jjmonroe

6 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  14:15:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jjmonroe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LyricalReckoner

In the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson wrote that government derives its authority from the consent of the governed. Antonin Scalia doesn't see it that way. In a speech in 2002, he reminded his audience what it says in the Bible: the government is ordained by God. During arguments in Van Orden v. Perry, Scalia said Jefferson was wrong. Our government doesn't derive its authority from the consent of the governed. It “derives its authority from God.” And, he insisted, it's a fact that “the foundation of our laws is God.”

Read all about it:

http://www.misterthorne.org/ESSAYS/scalia_v_jefferson.htm

Enjoy!

Just to set the stage:
1. I'm an agnostic
2. I believe the constitution means what it says

So, shouldn't South Carolina take the 10th amendment seriously? Jefferson believed that the 10th amendment was the foundation of the constitution. The constitution was written to put chains on the Federal Government.

How does one go from "Congress shall pass no law..." to "State and local governments can't put up religious symbols?" Personally, I'd rather live in a country where Christians can take South Carolina and those of us who don't want to be under their thumb could move to Nevada and take over that state. Prostitution and gambling are already legal there, and there's no telling what else might be de-criminalized if we didn't have Big Brother trying to make all the states be the same. That's a lot better than having a monolythic central government.

The legitimate acts of government extent to such acts only as are injurious to others-- Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.