Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  21:51:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dv82matt

This one baffles me though. Does anyone have an explanation?
Yes. Do you want to hear it?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  00:24:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

I do, though I know I have seen the answer before and can't remember it.
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  00:50:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Please, do tell.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  07:09:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Okay, okay. The black lines in the figure hide the fudges. You'll note that for the yellow and green triangles, the slope of the diagonal side is 3/8, or 0.375, while the slope of the diagonal side of the blue and red parallelograms is 2/5, or 0.4, so they don't match up. In the 5x13 figure, the thickness of the black lines hides an extremely thin parallelogram running diagonally from the upper-left corner to the lower-right corner. If you do the math, you'll find that the area of that hidden parallelogram is... one.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:40:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Oh! They cheated again.

But I have a question. The triangles are on the same grid. So does the grid differ from side to side? Or do the triangles just not really match which is what I think you are saying?
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/31/2005 11:44:02
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  13:04:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The triangles don't match up, beskeptigal.

In the figure on the right, the left side of the green triangle is 5 units in from the left tip of the yellow triangle. Using the similarity of triangles, we know the yellow triangle is (3/8)x5 units in its vertical dimension at that point, or 1.875 units. However, we know from the left figure that the left edge of that green triangle (in the right figure) should be 3 units high, making a total height of 4.875 units, when the right-hand figure is clearly labeled as being 5 units high. There is one-eighth of a unit "extra" in the figure at that point which would show up easily if the black lines were thinner or non-existant.

Actually, the slope of all the diagonal edges in the right-hand figure is 5/13, or 0.385, which is real close to 0.375 (the left-side yellow and green triangles) and a little less close to 0.4 (the left-side red and blue parallelograms), but in between both.

It's a cheat, yes, but the puzzle is asking you to find and explain that cheat.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  21:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:

Okay, okay. The black lines in the figure hide the fudges. You'll note that for the yellow and green triangles, the slope of the diagonal side is 3/8, or 0.375, while the slope of the diagonal side of the blue and red parallelograms is 2/5, or 0.4, so they don't match up. In the 5x13 figure, the thickness of the black lines hides an extremely thin parallelogram running diagonally from the upper-left corner to the lower-right corner. If you do the math, you'll find that the area of that hidden parallelogram is... one.

Thanks for the explanation Dave. That makes sense.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.