Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Imax consumer pressure against the blasphemous E.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  03:06:23  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
US row forces southern Imax cinemas to shun films on evolution.
quote:
Superficially, the decision affects only a dozen or so cinemas. But it could have a profound knock-on effect across the world because of the high cost of producing Imax films.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  03:33:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Carol Murray, marketing director of the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History in Texas, said audience members who had watched Volcanoes had commented 'I really hate it when the theory of evolution is presented as fact', or 'I don't agree with their presentation of human existence.'

As a result, the science museum had decided not to screen the film. 'If it is not going to draw a crowd and it is going to create controversy, from a marketing point of view, I cannot make a recommendation,' Murray told the New York Times yesterday.

It's all about the bottom line, isn't it? "Oh, but we mustn't have controversy 'cause someone might get a little miffed and their panties might get twisted, and they'll talk mean to us, and everything, and never come back!"

Let them show Hovind vidios then, and damn them for the cowards that they are!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/22/2005 03:34:44
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  07:47:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
He [James Cameron] also revealed that objections had been made to parts of Aliens of the Deep, but these had remained in the final cut. 'It seems to be a new phenomenon, obviously symptomatic of our shift away from empiricism in science to faith-based science,' he said.
(Emphasis by Dr. Mabuse)
Now I've lost my respect for James Cameron (or possibly it may be the fault of the article author). "Faith-based" should never be used to describe the word science.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  08:32:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Now I've lost my respect for James Cameron (or possibly it may be the fault of the article author). "Faith-based" should never be used to describe the word science.

I hope you won't be too hard on him, Dr. Mabuse. Part of what I do for a living involves transcribing testimony. It is amazing to realize the difference between hearing and seeing someone say something, and just reading the same quote. It truly is possible to quote someone accurately, and still not effectively convey their meaning.

I hope Cameron was not endorsing "faith-based science" but lamenting a developing trend toward such thinking.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  09:20:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I do like the fact that he didn't bend by editing out those parts that creationists thought objectional. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my judgement, the guy do have a measure of integrity. I'll blame the article-author then. It should have read creationism, not "faith-science" since it is a bad oxymoron.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  02:37:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
NY Times article on this issue.

The problem is that when the cretinists put their money where their mouth is, we need to do the same.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  03:18:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Herpetology sucks ergot, especally in the winter. But I'm almost finished and should be back in another day or so.

Just popped in to mention that Volcanos of the Deep will be available on DVD at amazon.com in the latter part of May for 15 bucks, plus shipping. I've already pre-orded it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  12:15:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

The problem is that when the cretinists put their money where their mouth is, we need to do the same.
The problem is that creationist organizations like Answers in Genesis and the Discovery Institute are pretty much dedicated to anti-evolution activism. There are no complimentary pro-evolution groups to be found, outside of Web-only enterprises like talk.origins or the Panda's Thumb.

Pro-science groups, can be found, but none of them are focused solely upon combatting the anti-evolution propaganda which keeps donations flowing into AiG and DI. That means the pro-science groups can't spend their resources focused solely upon a single aspect of science - evolution - to properly "answer" the political and social machinations of the creationists.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  13:40:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
Yeah there was an evolutionist film coming out for our IMAX a while ago, however, the Christians boycotted it and of course, IMAX terminated it after an unsuccessful week. I did get to enjoy it, and though I'd like to see more, I have to say that these Christian organizations around here (the Buckle of the Bible Belt) are exercising their right to boycott something.

Normally I'd say the IMAX theatre should have had a spine, except when they reported a loss in finances that week, I realized they were just doing what was right for their business. I can't blame either group for not doing what was in their best interest in their own mind.

I realize that some people are offended by evolution like I am when someone tells me I'm going to burn in Hell forever if I don't accept a more powerful Santa Claus, but like I have the right to shut those people out, they have the right to boycott a film. The only thing that can happen is either the company keep it in even with a loss of money (which so many would not), or to go ahead and remove it to make the people around happy.

Either way, I have had some success with many people around here on evolution. I've learned if I give them a chance to speak their mind, they'll give me a chance. It's not always easy, but when you live in the Buckle of the Bible Belt USA, it's the only way to do things.

(For the record, I donated $100 to IMAX for showing the movie. Apparently, that didn't help )

take care,
tk
Edited by - tkster on 03/25/2005 13:42:16
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  16:06:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Well, it seems the news has improved somewhat.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  16:16:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

Well, it seems the news has improved somewhat.

From your link:
quote:
Museum Director Van Romans, with the blessing of the board of directors, reversed the museum's decision and said the film will open in Fort Worth “before summer.” The film is already being promoted on the museum's Web site.

“We're going to show things that have scientific credibility, and people can make their own decisions,” Romans said Wednesday. “That's a very personal choice. But we are a science and history institution. We have a responsibility to the public to share with them.”
About damn time they remembered their purpose. I would guess the creationists are trying to fit the corks back into their champagne bottles...

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.