Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  22:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Ever since his first post here, member latinijral has repeatedly violated the rules posted in the Skeptic Friends Network's registration agreement through harassment, crude language, and posting inappropriate content such as cartoonish female nudity. After repeated warnings about his conduct and requests for him to abide by the rules, latinijral reached a milestone: he has become the very first member to be banned from the SFN. This is not a decision that the staff took lightly. We only undertook this action due to the continuation of the rules violations after repeated warnings, and after more than two weeks of discussion.

It is unfortunate that we have had to resort to such measures, but found them necessary to preserve the intent and function of the few written rules that we do have. latinijral's stay here is at an end. We cannot tolerate his behavior any longer and he was given wide latitude to push the boundaries during his visit with us.

latinijral, after thirty (30) days of silence between him and the SFN, may initiate an "appeals" process by emailing any staff member with his desire to have his membership here unlocked. The rest of the process will be conducted privately.

We ardently hope that this first banning will be our last.

(Signed)

Kil
Dave W.
Dr. Mabuse
Cuneiformist
Valiant Dancer
@tomic (added 3/26/2005)

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  01:22:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Well, it was what he wanted...
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  01:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
I didn't think I would see the day.

But, you guys did a hard thing and gave latinijral much more leway then he has gotten anywhere else. You finally drew a line in the sand, and he gleefly jumped over. You did the right thing.

Applause to the administrators of this site for having to make a tough choice and still keeping this site a very open site.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  03:29:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

"`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe."

JABBERWOCKY
Lewis Carroll
---------------------------

See y'all in a couple of days.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  04:23:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Although sad for being the first time someone is banned, I think it is a very good decision.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  06:07:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
There is no doubt he deserved banning.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  07:46:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
I am sorry to hear it, not because I'll miss him, but because I feel somehow he had his way with us.

Of course, that's easy for me to say because I had the luxury of choosing not to read or post in his threads.

I know the decision was not made lightly. My thanks to the moderators for giving him the latitude that you did.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  08:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
"Some people you just can't reach"

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  08:17:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Well, I suppose it was the right thing to do. It's just a pity that SFN had to go so far as to ban someone.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  10:37:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Well, I suppose it was the right thing to do. It's just a pity that SFN had to go so far as to ban someone.

The only solution was to remove the feeding tube from the troll.

It's not even really a full ban, but a 30 day minimum ban with the possibility of reinstatement. He can come back and resume ranting as long as he convinces the mods that he will behave and as long as he abides by the TOS.

I will not be retaining atmospheric gases in my pulmonary system in anticipation of this happening.

- TW

- TW
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  10:48:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Am I the only one not sad? Personally I think he should be unbanned just so we can all have the pleasure of banning him again. Like everyone's been saying, it was very deserved and I for one am glad his disruptive presence is gone.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  11:07:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Am I the only one not sad? Personally I think he should be unbanned just so we can all have the pleasure of banning him again. Like everyone's been saying, it was very deserved and I for one am glad his disruptive presence is gone.

I am sad only for the measures we had to take. I am not sad for the action.

It was necessary. He just wasn't understanding the warnings about TOS violations.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

way

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  11:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send way a Private Message
After experiencing latinijral "live" during last night's chat, I can fully support the ban. Turns out the moderator had to boot him from the chat room as well. Of course, it was well after the chat was scheduled to end and a full hour after lat had said he was leaving.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  11:52:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Am I the only one not sad?
I was proud of the fact that the SFN hadn't banned anyone. It was one of the things which, as far as I am aware, made the SFN unique among skeptical Web forums. I'm still proud of the fact that the SFN has only banned a single person, but not as proud as I was before last night.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  12:17:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
What did Latinijral do last night in the chat after I left?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  12:19:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message
What is more important, the spotless record of SFN or its stated purpose?
If you never had to ban anyone, SFN either
a.) never cared about enforcing the rules
b.) due to the quality of members, never really had to.
Short of a litmus test for member, you'll never have total control over the quality.

Because you had to enforce the rules, (in my view) you valued the purpose of SFN.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.