Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  11:39:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Tim, I can't sort out your text from your quotes, so I'm just going to put up a couple of things dealing with the flood.
quote:
How was the fossil record sorted in an order convenient for evolution? Ecological zonation, hydrodynamic sorting, and differential escape fail to explain:

the extremely good sorting observed. Why didn't at least one dinosaur make it to the high ground with the elephants?
the relative positions of plants and other non-motile life. (Yun, 1989, describes beautifully preserved algae from Late Precambrian sediments. Why don't any modern-looking plants appear that low in the geological column?)
why some groups of organisms, such as mollusks, are found in many geologic strata.
why organisms (such as brachiopods) which are very similar hydrodynamically (all nearly the same size, shape, and weight) are still perfectly sorted.
why extinct animals which lived in the same niches as present animals didn't survive as well. Why did no pterodons make it to high ground?
how coral reefs hundreds of feet thick and miles long were preserved intact with other fossils below them.
why small organisms dominate the lower strata, whereas fluid mechanics says they would sink slower and thus end up in upper strata.
why artifacts such as footprints and burrows are also sorted. [Crimes & Droser, 1992]
why no human artifacts are found except in the very uppermost strata. If, at the time of the Flood, the earth was overpopulated by people with technology for shipbuilding, why were none of their tools or buildings mixed with trilobite or dinosaur fossils?
why different parts of the same organisms are sorted together. Pollen and spores are found in association with the trunks, leaves, branches, and roots produced by the same plants [Stewart, 1983].
why ecological information is consistent within but not between layers. Fossil pollen is one of the more important indicators of different levels of strata. Each plant has different and distinct pollen, and, by telling which plants produced the fossil pollen, it is easy to see what the climate was like in different strata. Was the pollen hydraulically sorted by the flood water so that the climatic evidence is different for each layer?

And this one, one that shows that the flood as described is not possible -- how's your math?
quote:
Now, remember earlier that we noted that it would take 4.525x1009 km3 of water for the flood? Well, looking at the Wisconsinian glaciation, all that ice (which is frozen water, remember?) would be precisely 0.222% [...do the math](that's zero decimal two hundred twenty two thousandths) percent of the water needed for the flood.

Well, the Wisconsinian glacial stade ended about 25,000 YBP (years before present), as compared for the approximately supposedly 4,000 YBP flood event.

Due to these late Pleistocene glaciations (some 21,000 years preceding the supposed flood), the mass of the ice has actually depressed the crust of the Earth. That crust, now that the ice is gone, is slowly rising (called glacial rebound); and this rebound can be measured, in places (like northern Wisconsin), in centimetres/year. Sea level was also lowered some 10's of meters due to the very finite amount of water in the Earth's hydrosphere being locked up in glacial ice sheets (geologists call this glacioeustacy).

Now, glacial rebound can only be measured, obviously, in glaciated terranes, i.e., the Sahara is not rebounding as it was not glaciated during the Pleistocene. This lack of rebound is noted by laser ranged interferometery and satellite geodesy [so there], as well as by geomorphology. Glacial striae on bedrock, eskers, tills, moraines, rouche moutenees, drumlins, kame and kettle topography, fjords, deranged fluvial drainage and erratic blocks all betray a glacier's passage. Needless to say, these geomorphological expressions are not found everywhere on Earth (for instance, like the Sahara). Therefore, although extensive, the glaciers were a local (not global) is scale. Yet, at only 0.222% the size of the supposed flood, they have had a PROFOUND and EASILY recognisable and measurable effects on the lands.

Yet, the supposed flood of Noah, supposedly global in extent, supposedly much more recent, and supposedly orders of magnitude larger in scale; has exactly zero measurable effects and zero evidence for it's occurrence.

Golly, Wally. I wonder why that may be...?

Further, Mount Everest extends through 2/3 of the Earth's atmosphere. Since two forms of matter can't occupy the same space, we have an additional problem with the atmosphere. Its current boundary marks the point at which gasses of the atmosphere can escape the Earth's gravitational field. Even allowing for partial dissolving of the atmosphere into our huge ocean, we'd lose the vast majority of our atmosphere as it is raised some 5.155 km higher by the rising flood waters; and it boils off into space.

Yet, we still have a quite thick and nicely breathable atmosphere. In fact, ice cores from Antarctica (as well as deep-sea sediment cores) which can be geochemically tested for paleoatmospheric constituents and relative gas ratios; and these records extend well back into the Pleistocene, far more than the supposed 4,000 YBP flood event. Strange that this major loss of atmosphere, atmospheric fractionation (lighter gasses (oxygen, nitrogen, fluorine, neon, etc.) would have boiled off first in the flood-water rising scenario, enriching what remained with heavier gasses (argon, krypton, xenon, radon, etc.)), and massive extinctions from such global upheavals are totally unevidenced in these cores.

Sea beds on mountain tops are simply evidence of plate tectonics thrusting up the mountains from ancient seas; a vastly better explanatuin than a global flood.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  11:43:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
There is evidence to suport a great flood though in ereas thousands of feet above sea level.

Could you name some of this evidence?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  13:26:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
There is evidence to suport a great flood though in ereas thousands of feet above sea level.

Could you name some of this evidence?

Seashells on Mt. Everest, duh! (And don't even say the rocks just moved up there. I've never seen a rock move and neither have you.)

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/27/2005 13:31:32
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  14:26:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Tim, you really should try to learn the formatting of quoting...
Here's some friendly advice:

If you're replying to someone with quotes, make sure to have [/quote] written before your response and a [quote] before the rest of the quoted post continue.
Like this:

[quote]This is the text you respond to[/quote] and this is the text you write.

And please throw in some enter/carrige-return every now and then. It makes it easier for you and your writing (easier for you to keep track of the quotes), and it makes it easier for us to read.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  14:46:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Seashells on Mt. Everest, duh! (And don't even say the rocks just moved up there. I've never seen a rock move and neither have you.)

I have. Several times when passing through the Straits of Messina, I've seen, I think it's Mt. Stromboli, in a mild eruption. Trickles of liquid rock moved naturally, under gravity of course, down the side of it.

But, as stated earlier, the ocean fossils got to the summit of Everest when the mountain was gradually pushed up from the sea floor by tectonic pressure. No mystery; no global flood; no evidence of divine interference at all. A pity, really. The flood story is fun.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  21:39:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Timgraysr:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by R.Wreck

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Timgraysr:

Mine is simply a quesiion to those that might know, I do not, the following. From my understanding of Genesis scriptures: There was water above and below us before the flood. The ground was a layer over water and the planet was encircled by water. We lived in what could be best describes as a steam room taking in vapor from all the minerals around us. If this were true, would it affect the results of carbon dating and the other methods of dating that we use that do not account for this?
Well, since there is no evidence to support the supposition that "The ground was a layer over water and the planet was encircled by water", and in fact the available evidence argues against it, then there is no need for carbon dating to account for it.

Thank you for your opinion. I was hoping for an intelligent reply though. I did think the Huxly's were funny for the short time they were on though.

It's hard to give an intelligent answer to a question predicated on nonsense. Now show me your evidence that "The ground was a layer over water and the planet was encircled by water". Show me how such a thing is even possible consistent with our understanding of physics.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  01:12:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

.... (And don't even say the rocks just moved up there. I've never seen a rock move and neither have you.)

Haven't seen 'em move but I did actually visit the Death Valley lakebed these rocks were on.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  02:24:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

.... (And don't even say the rocks just moved up there. I've never seen a rock move and neither have you.)

Haven't seen 'em move but I did actually visit the Death Valley lakebed these rocks were on.

Ack!! Witchcraft!! Quick, someone sacrifice a virgin, lest we are doomed!

I've always wanted to visit Death Valley but never found the time. Now that I have the time, I've not found the travel money.

I haven't heard anything, nor even thought about those stones for years. Has anyone come up with an explaination for them? That one looks like he had a bit to drink last night...

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/28/2005 02:26:54
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  06:54:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I haven't heard anything, nor even thought about those stones for years. Has anyone come up with an explaination for them?
A little rain, followed by a lot of wind.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  10:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I haven't heard anything, nor even thought about those stones for years. Has anyone come up with an explaination for them?
A little rain, followed by a lot of wind.

Now that it's pointed out, I think I remember reading something about that a long time ago. It was, if I recall right, an article refuting some sort of supernatural hogwash.

The older I get, the more I forget.....

Thanks, Dave!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  21:48:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
Yeah, and you AIG people take an oath where you promise to throw out any evidence/facts that go against the literal YEC view of the bible before you go and START research! See how that works? And Weiland has the nerve to complain about how close-minded "evolutinists" are?

We don't have as much to prove as the evolutionists do. You started out with 1 million years for evolution to have occured to get to the human order, now you have 5 billion. So the more evidence you find the more years you add.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  21:54:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch

We don't have as much to prove as the evolutionists do.
No, you just have to prove the existence of God, after all. But to paraphrase Doug Adams, proof of God would deny faith in God, and without faith, God is nothing.

So, if you're successful in your quest to prove your ideas, you'll kill your God. Isn't that a nice thought?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  00:23:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch

Yeah, and you AIG people take an oath where you promise to throw out any evidence/facts that go against the literal YEC view of the bible before you go and START research! See how that works? And Weiland has the nerve to complain about how close-minded "evolutinists" are?

We don't have as much to prove as the evolutionists do. You started out with 1 million years for evolution to have occured to get to the human order, now you have 5 billion. So the more evidence you find the more years you add.

Welcome back, V! Had I a fatted calf, I'd cut it's throat, dress it off, fire up the pit, and invite the neighbors over.

Y'know, it's an amazement to me that in all debates, here and in 'official' ones, the defender of evolution is always called upon to produce "missing links" -- transitionals -- from the fossil record, and yet the defender of creation never produces any evidence beyond incredualty.

For example, if fossil C is shown to be transititonal between Fossils A and E, our creationist will sneer and say something to the effect of, "Well you don't have fossils B or D, do you? Therefore, there are no transitional species and the earth is young." And if the evolutionist should have B & D, the creationist will want to see A-1/2 and C-1/2, and so forth. Kind'a silly really, this blind picking of nits where nits are only a distracting illusion.

This is why few if any of the big-name creationists such as the ridiculous Hovind will seldom get into a written debate (in Hovind's case: never!). They find it difficult to cast an illusion when they can't wave their hands and preach in stenorian tones to a worshipful audience, most of whom wouldn't know a thecodont from an alligator. (chuckle) If they did, most probably wouldn't bother to attend the debate unless they were in short supply of amusment.

And yet, empirical evidence in favor of any sort of divine creation is never brought forth....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  09:42:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This Panda's Thumb piece is a wonderful and detailed article about the fallout from the "soft tissue" discovery. And it pretty-much takes everyone involved to task:
In brief, Mary Schweitzer and Jack Horner, in spite of their protests, have provided creationists with a rich diet for over a decade without ever bothering to publicly refute the gross misrepresentations of their work.
But my favorite line has got to be:
If [creationists] are able to ignore geology, chemistry and physics, why do they even bother to lie about biology?
That's a very good question, and one I doubt will get answered anytime soon.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  10:24:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

This Panda's Thumb piece is a wonderful and detailed article about the fallout from the "soft tissue" discovery. And it pretty-much takes everyone involved to task:
In brief, Mary Schweitzer and Jack Horner, in spite of their protests, have provided creationists with a rich diet for over a decade without ever bothering to publicly refute the gross misrepresentations of their work.
But my favorite line has got to be:
If [creationists] are able to ignore geology, chemistry and physics, why do they even bother to lie about biology?
That's a very good question, and one I doubt will get answered anytime soon.

Ya beat me to it! I had it saved to post this morning, but forgot.

It really is an excellent piece. Dr. GH has done his homework well and has written in terms that anybody can understand.

I highly reccommend opening this link.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.