Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Histoy channel helps RR fundie convert someone?!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  16:28:46  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
You can read about it here

quote:
After almost a year of working on my neighbor (who's around 57, uses pot, and has pretty much slept with any guy that was breathing. ) it has finally happened!!! She accepted Jesus last night on her own while watching History Channel's show on hell that was on. The part where the athiest guy died in the hospital and had the "things" carry him away and attck him and he called out "Jesus, Save Me!" She said that she started crying uncontrolably and then herself cried out, "Jesus, Save Me!"

This made my entire week worthwhile. I have been witnessing to her and a few others including my parents. I don't really know her that well, other than she has always lived in the apt. near ours and her behavior. She really used to be a stumbling block before I was a Christian, and when I first became a Christian, I would want to go visit her, and I would get a VERY strong urging that I was to stay away. So, for a couple of months I did, then, finally I didn't have that feeling anymore, but I DID have a new feeling, a feeling that I was to take the Message to her. This I did off and on for several months, telling her of the things going on in the world today and how they are lining up the Bible, and of things mentioned here on this board. The evidence was irrefutable.

This woman, who was a great sinner, and had no family or anyone that cares for her has now found Jesus, who cares for everyone no matter what their spots and blemishes. As long as they turn to Him in forgivness. Today, I am not the only one rejoicing in this, for I have helped snatch another from satan's grasp of death and I know that all of the angels of Heaven are rejoicing, too!

Holy, Holy, Holy! Great and gracious is our King of kings and Lord of lords, Jesus Chirst. He who has risen and lives evermore!

I figured that the baloney shows on TV nowadays would start finding victims, though it sounds like this person was messed up before. Hopefully, this will be a comparatively harmless drug for her.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  18:01:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Great. If God's love doesn't convert you, perhaps scaring the shit out of you will instead.

Just how does one get chewed on and eated for all eternity anyway? Wouldn't you just get used to it after a while?
Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  21:35:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
Why is "having the shit scared out of you" a bad way to have something reveal God's grace? The wrath of God is a scary thing! It is something to fear. Christ by his AMAZING grace gave us an alternative!

The only problem I had with the woman telling this story was that she reffered to this woman as a "great sinner". This at least to me says that she thinks that this woman was a greater sinner than her. If your a mass murderer, or a nice person who's "just not religious", then you are not following the way of the creator! Many see the fact that God could let a murderer into heaven as unfair, or I've even heard someone say he has an "ego problem". But the fact is; ego has nothing to do with it! God is God no matter what you think his problems are. Thankfully for us he is a loving God who gives us a 2nd chance! He could have banished everybody to hell instantly because of our rebellion, and it would not have even been wrong! He could have created us just to torture us if he felt like it! HE IS GOD AFTERALL!!! He has the right to do what he wants even if the left wing, or the right wing, or any wing in-between hate him for it! But by his grace, and only by his grace he's done none of these things to us! He created us, and we rebelled in sin, and he has given us a second chance which is utterly incomprehencable! He is such a good and faithful God, and all he asks is that you believe in him! Thats it! There's no payment. JUST BELIEVE!

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  21:45:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by creation88

Why is "having the shit scared out of you" a bad way to have something reveal God's grace? The wrath of God is a scary thing! It is something to fear.
You can draw more flies with honey than with vinegar. Plus, study after study shows that positive rewards are better motivators than negative ones. That God needs to bully people into faith speaks volumes about Him.
quote:
He is such a good and faithful God, and all he asks is that you believe in him! Thats it! There's no payment. JUST BELIEVE!
If He's not the right God, there could be quite a large payment, indeed. Or do you think that your God is the only "jealous god" that's ever been hypothesized?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  01:12:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Why is "having the shit scared out of you" a bad way to have something reveal God's grace? The wrath of God is a scary thing! It is something to fear. Christ by his AMAZING grace gave us an alternative!

The only problem I had with the woman telling this story was that she reffered to this woman as a "great sinner". This at least to me says that she thinks that this woman was a greater sinner than her. If your a mass murderer, or a nice person who's "just not religious", then you are not following the way of the creator! Many see the fact that God could let a murderer into heaven as unfair, or I've even heard someone say he has an "ego problem". But the fact is; ego has nothing to do with it! God is God no matter what you think his problems are. Thankfully for us he is a loving God who gives us a 2nd chance! He could have banished everybody to hell instantly because of our rebellion, and it would not have even been wrong! He could have created us just to torture us if he felt like it! HE IS GOD AFTERALL!!! He has the right to do what he wants even if the left wing, or the right wing, or any wing in-between hate him for it! But by his grace, and only by his grace he's done none of these things to us! He created us, and we rebelled in sin, and he has given us a second chance which is utterly incomprehencable! He is such a good and faithful God, and all he asks is that you believe in him! Thats it! There's no payment. JUST BELIEVE!

He is God, he has the right, he created us, all he asks is, he is such a good God, he could have, his amazing grace, thankfully he is a loving God......and terrible us, we rebelled. What utter nonsense.

A loving God would not make a ridiculous request for people to believe without evidence then condemn those who happened to have inherited a little common sense to 'hell' for not buying into the nonsense. My brain prefers logical processes, not myths and hypocrisy.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  06:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

My brain prefers logical processes, not myths and hypocrisy.
Don't forget: according to C88's argument, your brain - with its preferences - is a gift from God, too. Pity for God, that He gave you a brain which tends to disbelieve in Him.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  07:13:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by creation88:

God is God no matter what you think his problems are. Thankfully for us he is a loving God who gives us a 2nd chance! He could have banished everybody to hell instantly because of our rebellion, and it would not have even been wrong! He could have created us just to torture us if he felt like it! HE IS GOD AFTERALL!!! He has the right to do what he wants even if the left wing, or the right wing, or any wing in-between hate him for it! But by his grace, and only by his grace he's done none of these things to us! He created us, and we rebelled in sin, and he has given us a second chance which is utterly incomprehencable! He is such a good and faithful God, and all he asks is that you believe in him! Thats it! There's no payment. JUST BELIEVE!

Possibly. Or god could just be a figment of your imagination. Personally, I'm glad that such a god does not exist and that my imagination hasn't convinced me that one does. It must be terrible to live in fear of being divinely squashed like a bug or being condemned to eternal torture by the god of infinite love.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  08:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
quote:
my neighbor (who's around 57, uses pot, and has pretty much slept with any guy that was breathing. )

Just which of these makes her a sinner: being 57, using pot, or enjoying sex?

Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  08:28:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
So I read more carefully and clicked on the link. Now I remember why I don't visit Rapture Ready.

Now I'm trying to envision someone nutty enough to find Jesus on a Hisotry Channel show...and a world where my neighbors know whom I have sex with and are asshol-ic enough to try to change my behavior.

Where do these people LIVE, anyway?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  14:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Maybe it's just me, I dunno. But believers, it seems, never pass up the chance to accuse atheists of hating God, and the firmer that belief or the appearance thereof, the more resonate the accusation. This is illogical to the point of driving Mr. Spock into gales of mirth. I mean, how is it possible to hate that which one does not believe exists?

I don't hate Satan for the same, excellent reason. But if sound evidence should demonstrate the existance of these -- let's face it: as written, both are beasts -- creatures, then logic and reason insists that I change my mind.

Until then, I'll remain a heretic with an untroubled conscience.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  15:02:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae
Where do these people LIVE, anyway?

Trailer parks?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  21:00:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

Why is "having the shit scared out of you" a bad way to have something reveal God's grace? The wrath of God is a scary thing! It is something to fear.

You can draw more flies with honey than with vinegar. Plus, study after study shows that positive rewards are better motivators than negative ones. That God needs to bully people into faith speaks volumes about Him.

quote:
He is such a good and faithful God, and all he asks is that you believe in him! Thats it! There's no payment. JUST BELIEVE!

If He's not the right God, there could be quite a large payment, indeed. Or do you think that your God is the only "jealous god" that's ever been hypothesized?

Nothing turned me off from the christion faith then when people started trying to cram this wrath of god junk down my throat, even though at the time I was a practing catholic. Then came the college history class that talked about the ancent world and their religions. What? There was something before jewdisum?

That started a long period of questioning if the christion god was the right god, and what was religion. It drove the people who where trying to shove the wrath of god at me (at the time I thought they where friends) nuts. They couldn't stand I was asking all these questions about their faith, and that I was looking at other religions.

If these so called friends where not so zellis about their faith, they would not have pushed me away so fast. If you have to have a wrathfull god fine, but keep it to yourself.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  22:14:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

That started a long period of questioning if the christion god was the right god...
Indeed, the thought that I should accept "Pascal's Wager" is pretty scary. There are, after all, thousands of recognized religions in the world (and throughout history, and more to come in the future), but Pascal's Wager rests on the assumption that whatever the god in question, it's the correct god to believe in. Not a few of those deities should be considered mutually hostile, though.

Case in point: Christians worship a guy the Jews believe to be a false Messiah. Certainly if the Jews have picked the right God, then even paying lip-service to Jesus' claim of divinity represents a violation of the First Commandment.

Can anyone reconcile this without resorting to "well, the _________ religion is obviously wrong," when it's impossible to judge right or wrong when it comes to beings which can rewrite the rules on a whim?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  22:37:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
quote:
.....and terrible us, we rebelled. What utter nonsense.

This sentence describes human sin in a nut-shell. We are so involved in our pride, that we don't even deny it any more.

quote:
Maybe it's just me, I dunno. But believers, it seems, never pass up the chance to accuse atheists of hating God

I accused nobody of hating God. I did'nt accuse anybody of anything. I communicated that we are all lost in sin without Christ to save us. We are all sinners. (me as sinnful, or MORE sinnful than anyone else) The only difference between us, is that I have realized the necessity of Christ in my life.

quote:
It must be terrible to live in fear of being divinely squashed like a bug or being condemned to eternal torture by the god of infinite love.

You say this as if I live in fear of these things. This is the point of my whole life, and my posts. Put your faith n Christ and you won't have to live in fear of this. Just because you don't believe in my God, or don't "think he's the right God", doesn't mean that he is not the right God.

People say "what you don't know can't hurt you." But in this case it can!

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  01:26:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well, Creation88, I must have been forgiven despite not believing. Genesis says my punishment for my original sin, (of which I had no part in), is to have pain with childbirth. But science, not Jesus, gave us anesthesia, and I took advantage of it when my son was born. Perhaps science is the way to salvation.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  03:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
I accused nobody of hating God. I did'nt accuse anybody of anything. I communicated that we are all lost in sin without Christ to save us. We are all sinners. (me as sinnful, or MORE sinnful than anyone else) The only difference between us, is that I have realized the necessity of Christ in my life.

Perhaps not per se, but the bolded line above is well within the all-too-common theme.

Why is this? All of the atheists I know or are acquainted with look at it pretty much the same as I: "If you're happy with it, I'm happy for you." There are some evangelical-type atheists around, but I find their words and writings only slightly less dull than those of evangelical Christians. The long and short of it all is that someone's faith or lack of it is their own concern.

C'88, I deal with reality. That which has no solid basis in fact might be a good story to enjoy, but beyond that, I have little interest in it. To me, all religions and their associated gods, demons, ghosts, resurrections and threats of punishment are superstition, even though most have good codes of ethics (if you ignore the bloody bits).

It's rather appalling, really. The history of religion(s) is one of violence and repression, torture, rape and pillage. Every army that ever took the field was told that, "Gott mit uns," or the equivalent. I heard it when when I was in uniform, 'making the world safe for democracy.' By these simple words, barbarity is excused and even encouraged. Indeed, we see it in microcosm every time the likes of Fred Phelps or Randall Terry, or Falwell or Robertson, et al, mount the podium.

Am I to subscribe to this when it has no evidential basis? I think not, but, if you're happy with it and it fufills some basic need, then have at it. But don't expect me to contribute, nor even participate.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/28/2005 03:43:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.