Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  02:43:25  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
John Paul II seems to be dying.

With the Vatican reaction to the Terri Schiavo case in mind, I demand that they hook him up to what ever life support systems they can find and afford (they can afford them all, I'll guess) to keep as much of his body alive as long as possible.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  03:18:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

With the Vatican reaction to the Terri Schiavo case in mind, I demand that they hook him up to what ever life support systems they can find and afford (they can afford them all, I'll guess) to keep as much of his body alive as long as possible.

If he doesn't make it, i'm claiming victory, based on partial fullfilment and obviousness.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  03:38:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

I read somewhere yesterday (might have been Drudge) that that is exactly what they are going to do. The Pope himself insisted on it.

If such should be the case, there's no telling how long he might last -- John Paul is a tough, old rooster, you've got to admit.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  04:00:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Update:
quote:

(AP) Pope John Paul II gives his blessing from his studio window overlooking St. Peter's square at the...

VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope John Paul II suffered heart failure during treatment for a urinary tract infection and was in "very serious" condition on Friday, the Vatican said. It denied an Italian news report that the pope was in a coma.

A Vatican update on his condition was expected between 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. (1030-1100GMT).

Papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said in a previous statement that the pope suffered septic shock and heart failure Thursday afternoon.

"This morning, the condition of the Holy Father is very serious," he said.

However, he said the pope had participated in a 6 a.m. Mass Friday and that he was "conscious, lucid, and serene."

The 84-year-old pontiff's health declined sharply Thursday, when he developed a high fever brought on by the urinary tract infection. The pope's wish to remain in his apartment at the Vatican and not be taken to the hospital was respected, Navarro-Valls said.

The pope received the sacrament for the sick and dying on Thursday evening, the statement said. Formerly called the last rites, the sacrament is often misunderstood as signaling imminent death. It is performed both for patients at the point of death and for those who are very sick - and it may be repeated.

quote:
Hospitalized twice last month following two breathing crises and with a tube placed in his throat to help him breathe, John Paul has become a picture of suffering.

When he appeared at his apartment window Wednesday to bless pilgrims in St. Peter's Square, he managed to utter only a rasp.

Later that day, the Vatican announced he had been fitted with a feeding tube in his nose to help boost his nutritional intake.

John Paul's 26-year papacy has been marked by its call to value the aged and to respect the sick, subjects the pope has turned to as he battles Parkinson's disease and crippling knee and hip ailments.

It is not clear who would be empowered to make medical decisions for an unconscious pope. The Vatican has officially declined to comment whether John Paul has left written instructions.

The last paragraph is interesting. If he were to become comatose, and a successor would not be able to ascend to the position, would there be a power-struggle in the Vatican? And what would be the effect of that on rank and file Catholics?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  04:05:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Kind of like the trouble his boss has in Dogma.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  07:09:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
My first reaction to this: empathy for the Pope and for those who care about him.

My second reaction: Oh, no. If he dies, another outpouring of religious nuttery, genuflecting and Bible-fondling will ensue. I am weary, much like the Rude Pundit, of religion.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  08:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
Yes, I read that the Pope's living will insists that all measures be taken to prolong his life as long as possible. Such fear of death doesn't seem particularly wise to me; especially since death leads to eternal life with God and the longer the Pope lingers on the longer the period the Church is effectively leaderless. On the other hand, you can chalk it up to cherishing life to it's most fullest extent, which is entirely consistent with the Church's policy on life. The Pope is actually setting an example for his flock.

On a side note, did anyone find GW's statement on the 'culture of life' in America leading to the protection of human life in all its forms - especially the most vulnerable - after Terri Shiavo's death to be ironic since he was governor of the state that most cherishes the death penalty? Who is more vulnerable in our society than the prisoner on Death Row in Texas?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  10:39:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

Yes, I read that the Pope's living will insists that all measures be taken to prolong his life as long as possible. Such fear of death doesn't seem particularly wise to me; especially since death leads to eternal life with God and the longer the Pope lingers on the longer the period the Church is effectively leaderless. On the other hand, you can chalk it up to cherishing life to it's most fullest extent, which is entirely consistent with the Church's policy on life. The Pope is actually setting an example for his flock.

On a side note, did anyone find GW's statement on the 'culture of life' in America leading to the protection of human life in all its forms - especially the most vulnerable - after Terri Shiavo's death to be ironic since he was governor of the state that most cherishes the death penalty? Who is more vulnerable in our society than the prisoner on Death Row in Texas?

Actually, I heard the very opposite on the news, today - that the Pope does not want to have his life prolonged, as stated by himself, that he's home and refuses to be taken to a hospital.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  11:57:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

Actually, I heard the very opposite on the news, today - that the Pope does not want to have his life prolonged, as stated by himself, that he's home and refuses to be taken to a hospital.

Good. I hope that's the case. There's much more dignity in that and considering his age and responsibility, it's a wise decision.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  12:28:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
The Pope is unconscious, breathing shallowly and beginning to experience renal failure.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7263878/

Time to call the College of Cardinals.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

pfretzschner
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  13:06:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send pfretzschner a Private Message
Jerry Falwell and the Pope: on their way out? As I heard "Coast to Coast"'s idiot host George Noory say last night, "These things always happen in threes'"
Who's next?
Go to Top of Page

pfretzschner
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  13:09:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send pfretzschner a Private Message
I'm hoping that it will be the Republican party, which will bleed to death through the hole it just shot in its own foot.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  13:15:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
One can only hope...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  17:58:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

G.W. is a despicable human. He has openly mocked the plea of a TX death row inmate on TV. He is pathetic. I can understand the reasons that some insist on having a death penalty, but there is no excuse for not carrying it out with professionalism and proper conduct.

He doesn;t respect life, he is just pandering to the "right to life" morons to get votes.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  13:44:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
It happened.
John Paul II is dead. He died at home (I think), in Vatican, by 10:00 PM (his local time).

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  13:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It's a new Tom Delay miracle. Just when the Schiavo thing was about to blow up in his face, God sends a new media distraction.

Alternate post:

It's a media miracle. Just when the news was about to shift to all their unethical attacks on Michael Schiavo based on not a single shred of evidence, luck gives the media a new 24 hour coverage topic.

Resume the thread.....

I guess I am supposed to be sad. I actually was bothered by the death of Anwar Sadat for some reason but the death of an equally distant from me figure, the Pope, has elicited not one shred of emotion. Odd...
Edited by - beskeptigal on 04/02/2005 13:53:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.