New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  21:40:07  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
Who will be the next pope. I smell loads of trouble and it should prove more interesting than the Palestine leader switch. --Verlch

I personally believe there isn't much time left before the end happens.

The antichrist will make a 7-year covenant of "peace" with Israel (Isaiah 28:18; Daniel 9:27). The Temple will be rebuilt (Daniel 9:27; Matthew 24:15; 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4; Revelation 11:1). 144,000 Jewish evangelists will be converted and called during the Tribulation Period (Revelation 7:1-4; Matthew 24:14). Israel will be invaded (Ezekiel chapters 38-39). Antichrist will break his covenant with Israel. Worldwide persecution of Israel will result (Daniel 9:27; 12:1, 11; Zechariah 11:16; Matthew 24:15, 21; Revelation 12:13). Israel will finally recognize Jesus as her Messiah (Zechariah 12:10). Israel will be regenerated, restored, and regathered (Jeremiah 33:8; Ezekiel 11:17).

9: And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.
10: And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Zechariah 12:9-10

http://www.gotquestions.org/end-times-Israel.html

"there will not cease to be a nation of Israel before me"...(Jeremiah 31:35-36 )

"Therefore behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when it will no longer be said, 'As the LORD lives, who brought up the sons of Israel out of the land of Egypt, 'but, 'As the LORD lives, who brought up the sons of Israel from the land of the north and from all the countries where He had banished them.' For I will restore them to their own land which I gave to their fathers" (Jer. 16:14-15).

Since 1948, the Jewish population of Israel has risen to over 5.5 million and Jewish immigrants are moving to Israel from all over the world monthly. The fig tree is putting "forth its leaves". "Summer" as Jesus put it, is near!

Jesus said that the "generation" that sees all this regathering would be the generation that "will not pass away until all these things take place"."All these things" include the regathering of the children of Israel, the Great Tribulation, and the climax of His return. This leads us to a logical question. How long is a "generation"?

All we need to do is stay faithful daily, no one knows when the second coming will happen. Verlch

We are told that no man knows the day or hour of Jesus' return, but we can know the we are in the season. That season is indicated to us by watching God's fig tree, Israel, come out of its dormant state and put "forth its leaves". Israel has become a nation and Jewish people are returning to it for the first time in almost 2000 years. Jesus has promised to return for His bride, the Church, sometime between the limits of a generation that witnesses this fantastic fact of Bible prophecy. There is nothing that demands that the generation will go to full term. He promised that His return would be at any moment (Matthew 24:44), maybe today.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20020503.html

http://www.raptureready.com/soap/gary1.html

[Wholesale cut-and-paste of this story deleted for copyright concerns - Dave W.]

--------------------

...he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 1 Corinthians 11 7-9

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  21:46:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3305285/?GT1=6428

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  21:50:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Welcome back, verlch. You seem to have missed this thread.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  00:45:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
John Paul was a remarkable man, there can be no denying that.

I rather think that his successor, who will have a tough act to follow, will be picked in the usual way; the cardinals will all get together and in due course, elect somebody.

As for the rest of it: doubtful. We are very good at killing off ourselves and need no assistance from any supernatural psychopath.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  15:04:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

I pretty much have no regard for the official catholic church, nor it's leaders. They insist on maintaining church policies that are directly harmfull to far to many people. No birth control (including condoms), attempting to influence US politics via instructions to US catholics (though it does seem that most US catholics take this with a grain of salt), anti-stem cell policy, and so on.

He WAS a tough little guy though, on a personal level. Parkinsons, 84 years old, has been shot, etc...

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  22:42:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:

I pretty much have no regard for the official catholic church, nor it's leaders. They insist on maintaining church policies that are directly harmfull to far to many people. No birth control (including condoms), attempting to influence US politics via instructions to US catholics (though it does seem that most US catholics take this with a grain of salt), anti-stem cell policy, and so on.

He WAS a tough little guy though, on a personal level. Parkinsons, 84 years old, has been shot, etc...

Any church that is bible centered can not error, that's the nice thing. I think all religons have something backwards to the bible. That being the leaders.

He was tough, I never thought he was going to die, It happened quickly.

His soul was taken swiftly. When things went downhill that is...

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  22:49:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Though I dodn't agree with many of his actions, he was a great man and he will be missed and mourned by many of us.
Go to Top of Page

pfretzschner
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  23:14:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send pfretzschner a Private Message
Bible-centered? Do you, verlch, eat shellfish? Pork? What about insects? Should unruly children be killed? Are there photographs or paintings in your house? Have you ever touched a menstuating woman (one "having her sickness") without ritually cleansing yourself afterwards?
Bible-centered. Sheeeit.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  00:36:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Any church that is bible centered can not error, that's the nice thing

verlch must have laid off that pond water like I asked him to....

Last time he was here posting about the caotholics, they were the center of some masonic/jewish/catholic conspiracy that secretly controls the government and breeds owls to mind control us all... or something.

But the fundamental (pun intended) error of his statement is rather obvious. There are how many "bible centered" churches? With views that vary tremendously. There are "bible centered" churches that support stem cell research, gay marriage, women's rights, and are pro-choice. And, if they can't "error", then these things must be ok! Even verlch agrees!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  02:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Bible-based churchs most certainly can err, and do so every time they start blithering about creation and a 6,000 year old earth.

I have already gotten weary of all pope all the time on the radio, and I'm told it's the same and worse on the toob. Now that everybody has had a good wail & snivel, let's blow our noses, get him planted, and get on with more important issues than a naturaly-dying, dead guy. Besides, it's a Catholic thing. Doesn't concern the rest of us.

Anybody have an update on Falwell? It'd be a shame if his death got upstaged by a popist....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  02:45:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Anybody have an update on Falwell? It'd be a shame if his death got upstaged by a popist....

I heard on the news he was off the ventilator but I have not tried to confirm this.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  04:11:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
He was a tough little man, though. I don't agree with most of his views, but hey - gotta admire a man that stuck by his values.

I'm sick of the news, though.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  06:48:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Hi Verlch. I'm curious about this: "Israel will finally recognize Jesus as her Messiah (Zechariah 12:10)."

But looking at the passage, I'm not sure I see it your way:
quote:
9And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. 10And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. 11In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon.
Sure, it's tempting to read this OT passage as some Jesus-reference, what with the "pierced" part. But note that it says "look upon me"-- that is, Yahweh; there is no indication that Jesus is talking here. (Of course, I'd argue that Jesus never talks and is never talked to in the OT, but some fundies will disagree.)

Part of the problem comes in the English translation. I quoted the NIV where it, like most translations, reads "look upon me whom they have pierced." But the Hebrew suggests that the person pierced isn't the speaker-- Yahweh-- but rather the person pierced is the person mourned. A Google search confirms this, as this site offers "they will look onto Me concerning whom they have pierced and they will mourn for him" (emph theirs).

Contextually, this makes much more sense.

It also serves to show how willing the NT writers were to rip OT passages out of context, twist them around (John says "look upon him" i.e. Jesus) to serve their own purposes-- not unlike the fundies of modern times! I guess old habits die hard...
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 04/04/2005 06:50:25
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  07:52:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

I don't agree with most of his views, but hey - gotta admire a man that stuck by his values.
That alone is not enough to make me admire anybody.
quote:
I'm sick of the news, though.
Me to.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  10:12:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I've just finished reading "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown (the same guy who wrote "The DaVinci Code". An excellent book which is just as cool as the DaVinci Code. That this book hasn't recieved as much criticism as the DaVinci Code seem strage to me, because some of the "revelations" in the book are pretty heretic.

Edited to add: Perhaps it did, from Catholic circles, it just went unnoticed by me and the rest of the world.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 04/04/2005 10:13:39
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  14:24:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Ding dong the pope is dead - how many times has this happened in the 2000+ years since Jesus [allegedly said] "there are people here who will not die before I come back"? [ok - not the King James version, but I'm too lazy to keep fumbling through my hand reference bible]

Sorry, but this guy didn't change my mind about: birth control, abortion, gay marriage, stem cells, and certainly didn't soften my feelings about a clergy that abused and sexually abused so many kids and shuffled molesters around when their activities threatened to come to light.

I read recently, in my local paper, that catholic schools and preschools are now forbidding the lay [nonclergy] teachers and employees from touching any children in their care for any reason. Typical - catholics never like to punish the person directly responsible. Much easier to just scare the kiddies in their clutches by telling them they are already evil, just because they were born.

Also, the pundits talk about how the last pope was such a champion of the poor - like when he let all those poor people live for free in buildings owned by the church, and staged mass feedings, spoke out against the gerrymandering of U.S. congressional districts to the disadvantage of the poor and minorities, and all those older, handicapped, 'unadoptable' kids the church supported and educated. [wink]

Oops, better got off the soapbox...

trish
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.