New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Epicius

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  14:30:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Epicius a Private Message

I'll go along with "Intelligent Design" as a viable theory when they show me Slartibartfasts signature on a Norwegian glacier. Until then it is a case of the universe is big and I don't understand it so I need a cosmic big brother.

Fishing is based on a lie, an easy safe meal.
Instead it results in a hook ripping through your mouth and being hauled out of your natural environment to suffer a slow torture, whether you live or die.

Why, then, is being a fisher looked on as being a good character trait?
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  05:38:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Epicius

I'll go along with "Intelligent Design" as a viable theory when they show me Slartibartfasts signature on a Norwegian glacier. Until then it is a case of the universe is big and I don't understand it so I need a cosmic big brother.
I would disagree only with the past part of your comments, Epicius. It's clear that ID is not nor ever was an honest "theory" to begin with; it didn't arise out of an inability to explain things, or because of a desire for a "cosmic big brother." Instead, it was "intended to function as a 'wedge' that, while relatively small, can split [evolution's] trunk when applied at its weakest points." According to the people who are championing its cause,
quote:
The very beginning of this strategy, the "thin edge of the wedge," was Phillip ]ohnson's critique of Darwinism begun in 1991 in Darwinism on Trial, and continued in Reason in the Balance and Defeatng Darwinism by Opening Minds. Michael Behe's highly successful Darwin's Black Box followed Johnson's work. We are building on this momentum, broadening the wedge with a positive scientific alternative to materialistic scientific theories, which has come to be called the theory of intelligent design (ID). Design theory promises to reverse the stifling dominance of the materialist worldview, and to replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions.
Thus, it's important to understand that ID isn't science, nor was it ever thought of as such. Rather, it's a strategy to rid the country of what religious/social conservatives see as a major threat to their worldview: evolution. Though they'll never admit as much, ID is just Creationism in sheep's clothing.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 05/19/2005 05:40:35
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  09:38:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Thought I'd link comic from Tom Tomorrow's "World of Tomorrow" as it fits the theme of this thread...

Edited by - Cuneiformist on 05/19/2005 09:39:19
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  15:29:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
That comic rocks. It gets printed in one of the free papers here. Love the penguin.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  02:15:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
That comic's a great parody. Best one I've heard so far.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.