ULTIMATE conservative?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  08:29:29  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
I guess there's only one big difference between a fundimentalist and a hardcore wrestling fan. These days the wrestling fan, no matter how fanatic, knows its all 'fake'.

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~kdg25/cs164/Ultimate%20Warrior%20-%20UCONN%20April%205%202005.wmv

Incase you had a life or lived under a rock in the late 80s and early 90s, you'll know who the Ultimate Warrior is. Warrior was a hugely popular wrestler who at the peak of his fame beat Hulk Hogan at wrestlemania for the WWF title. So how did he almost cause a RIOT at Uconn recently?

Well to put it bluntly, any clued up wrestling fan will know that warrior was never a great wrestler, and was never liked among his peers for his backstage attitude, but he drew huge money because he was intense and cheesey over the top gimmicks were in.

Well warrior was a little hyper, known for being an asshole (refusing to lose or look bad in matches) and freely admits to being on steroids at this time. But all those didnt make him unusual in the business.

But then things did get a little strange. Jim Helwig officially changed his name to 'Warrior' his familly took 'Warrior' as a surname. He started to demand more and more money, and as his character became tired and outdated, he drew less and less. Evventually he stopped wrestling all together. he now lives in a castle, and has a coat of arms.

http://www.ultimatewarrior.com/

communicating mostly from his website apparently he touts some pretty extreme right wing views. (look if you like, I got pretty bored before i foundd anything remotely political)

Anyway he is now touring and doing political talks. A recent one at Uconn almost turned into a riot when he used phrases like 'queering don't work' and told an iranian girl to 'go get a towel'.

Warrior was given a tough time by his students as it was not a Q&A but a speech, and instead of waiting until the allocated time at the end for questions, students were interrupting.

This is not the only embarassment for Warrior lately. He is also currently on the front page of www.somethingawful.com because of idle threats made by his 'communications director' to the webmaster, for posting quotes of derogatory remarks about Warrior.

Pretty baffling as to why this man even has an audience. With genuinely (IMO) entertaining contributions to society being made by wrestlers, such as NYT best seller Mick Foley and movie star the Rock, it seems wrestlers are starting to think they have some kind of place alongside actors as political leaders (Jesse the Body ventura having been a wrestler, actor and politician).

Well don't want to waffle any more.

DARWIN 3:16
"The simple believeth every word." - Proverbs 14:15

Edited by - Dik-Dik Van Dik on 04/14/2005 08:31:48

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  09:04:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Didn't he kill himself some time ago? Obviously not, I guess, but that rumor was floating around. Or was that the WWE (nee WWF) Warrior-clone (when he left, but they wasn't through making money off the hype) Renegade who offed himself?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  09:37:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Didn't he kill himself some time ago? Obviously not, I guess, but that rumor was floating around. Or was that the WWE (nee WWF) Warrior-clone (when he left, but they wasn't through making money off the hype) Renegade who offed himself?

Could be wrong, but I think that it was Lex Lugar that offed himself. As I recall, it had something to do with Miss Elizaberh, who OD'd on something and died.

Looks like UW's steroid use not only shrivvled his sac, but warped his already less than stable mind as well. A pity, really.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/14/2005 09:38:53
Go to Top of Page

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  09:58:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
Renegade the warrior clone, did indeed kill himself, Lex Luger was not charged with anything relating to Miss Elizabeth's death, but was previously charged with assaulting her, he was also arrested in January this year for DUI. Don't think he has killed himself though!

DARWIN 3:16
"The simple believeth every word." - Proverbs 14:15
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  10:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dik-Dik Van Dik

Renegade the warrior clone, did indeed kill himself, Lex Luger was not charged with anything relating to Miss Elizabeth's death, but was previously charged with assaulting her, he was also arrested in January this year for DUI. Don't think he has killed himself though!
That sounds right. I definitely would have heard if the Total Package had killed himself-- he was my favorite (before he jumped to the WWF, had a motorcycle accident and became a lame one-move brawler...)
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  10:53:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Renegade was not the first hyped up wrestler to kill themselves.

Anybody remeber the old Texas Pro Wrestling gigs? Does the last name Von Erich remind you of anything?

The only "Warriors" I'll acknowledge are the Road Warriors. And for over the top, "Nature Boy" Rick Flair eclipsed the Ultimate Warrior well before he came on the scene.

Look out for Space Mountain, baby!
Wooooooooo!

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  11:11:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I can't say much about the man which hasn't already been said, but I really like the students at UConn. My favorite part was when 'Warrior' asked:

"What do you think inalienable right refers to in the constitution?"

To which a student replied:

"One that doesn't require any responsibility."

You have to watch the earlier part to understand.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  11:17:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Thanks for the correction.

quote:

Anybody remeber the old Texas Pro Wrestling gigs? Does the last name Von Erich remind you of anything?

The only "Warriors" I'll acknowledge are the Road Warriors. And for over the top, "Nature Boy" Rick Flair eclipsed the Ultimate Warrior well before he came on the scene.

Wooooooooo!

The von Erich family had a really tragic history. 5 deaths, wasn't it?

Flair has eclpsed a lot of his peers over the years; doubtless one of the greats. He's getting a little long in the tooth for it now, though. What ever became of the Road Warriers, anyway? I haven't heard anything about them in years.

I myself miss Chief Big Heart, Killer Kowalski, Antonio Rocca, Maurice 'Mad Dog' Vashon, Gorgeous George, Yukon Eric, and others of that era. Abdulla the Butcher and the Iron Shiek also could be depended upon to put on great shows.

Damn, but I'm getting old...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  12:31:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

Thanks for the correction.

quote:

Wooooooooo!

The von Erich family had a really tragic history. 5 deaths, wasn't it?

Flair has eclpsed a lot of his peers over the years; doubtless one of the greats. He's getting a little long in the tooth for it now, though. What ever became of the Road Warriers, anyway? I haven't heard anything about them in years.

I myself miss Chief Big Heart, Killer Kowalski, Antonio Rocca, Maurice 'Mad Dog' Vashon, Gorgeous George, Yukon Eric, and others of that era. Abdulla the Butcher and the Iron Shiek also could be depended upon to put on great shows.

Damn, but I'm getting old...

Animal is doing speaking engagements. Hawk died October 19, 2003 from an apparent heart condition.

Iron Shiek, dead January 19, 2003.
Abdullah the Butcher, now runs a rib joint in southwest Atlanta.
Cheif Big Heart, dead April 22, 1993.
Killer Kowalski, runs a Pro Wrestling school
Antonio Rocca, dead March 15, 1977
Maurice 'Mad Dog' Vashon, Inducted into Canadain Wrestling hall of fame in 2003.
Gorgeous George, dead December 26, 1963
Yukon Eric, dead January 16, 1965

The Von Erichs did have 5 members dead.

Kerry, Chris, and Mike took their own lives that I know of. David OD'ed. Another, Jack Jr, died in the 50's due to electric shock.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  16:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Mm... what, exactly, are you all talking about?
I got the gist of it, I think - there was something similar, I suppose, but with martial arts, very cool, lots of violence - but, ya. Mind you, by the 80s I was kinda busy tryin' to figure what that 'life' thing was all about, anyway.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.