Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Pseudoscience
 Whats the most unbelievable REAL science?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  21:06:16  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
Seems people enjoy pseudoscience because the crazy ideas enrich their lives by making the world seem all the more mysterious and fascinating, compared to comparatively slow, complicated and minor advances in real science.

So what in your opinion is the most fascinating/interesting/unbelievable real science fact/theory that i probably don't already know about?

DARWIN 3:16
"The simple believeth every word." - Proverbs 14:15

Edited by - Dik-Dik Van Dik on 04/14/2005 21:10:11

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  21:31:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dik-Dik Van Dik
So what in your opinion is the most fascinating/ interesting/ unbelievable real science fact/ theory that i probably don't already know about?
There are a number of ideas out there about who the original speakers of the Uruk IV proto-cuneiform. Some would argue that it wasn't Sumerian. Others would.

And since cuneiform is our earliest writing, that's an important question: what it Sumerian, or something else?

(Edited for spelling)
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 04/15/2005 05:27:23
Go to Top of Page

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  22:25:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
what are the alternatives to Sumerian? If they argue it isnt Sumerian do they have alternative theories, or is it just a case of having evidence against Sumerian?

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  22:28:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
The Mpemba effect

Edit:

Well, when I first heard of it, it was. But it is fairly easy to understand why it happens.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 04/14/2005 22:30:35
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  23:31:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
Exploding water.

You'll never trust the microwave again.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  23:54:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Call me biased, but I'll say herpetology and icthyology, especially now that genetic testing is in common use. Few other disciplines are such that dedicated non-professionals make so many contributions, sometimes literally at the risk of life and limb.

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

The Mpemba effect

Edit:

Well, when I first heard of it, it was. But it is fairly easy to understand why it happens.

I seem to recall that Cecil, over on The Straight Dope did a piece on this some years back. I wonder if it could be done in a home freezer.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  00:39:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Casimir Effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect
Go to Top of Page

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  06:20:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
Somethings I'd like to add are sstudy of matter at absolute zero and superfluids

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/212_fall2003.web.dir/Rodney_Guritz%20Folder/properties.htm

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/212_fall2003.web.dir/Rodney_Guritz%20Folder/becondensate.htm

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  06:30:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dik-Dik Van Dik

what are the alternatives to Sumerian? If they argue it isnt Sumerian do they have alternative theories, or is it just a case of having evidence against Sumerian?
No one would argue for another language that could clearly be distinguished. Furthermore, it's clear from certain words, e.g. place names, or the names for flora or fauna, that there was a (or perhaps many) "substrate" languages that dies out ot were subsumed before ever being written down.

The argument that the language of the earlies cuneiform wasn't Sumerian is complex so I won't go into it except to say that it has to do with the graphic representation of signs and their phonetic values. There are plausible answers to such questions, however, and most would hold that indeed, our eariest cuneiform does represent Sumerian.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  09:36:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
In the new skeptic they talk about the non-zero pobability that powerful accelerators could cause a strangelet incident which would destroy the universe, theoretically.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  10:12:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, there's always relativity, but I suspect its bizarreness is widely known.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  10:41:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
That the reason geckos are such amazing climbers is that their feet bond to surfaces on the molecular level.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/15/2005 10:42:09
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  12:23:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Quantum physics.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  20:43:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Low Society -- Slime Molds -- Plant or Animal?
quote:
From the article in the link

It's not plant or animal -- or bacteria or fungus, for that matter -- but it's living. Take a walk outside, and it's all around you. The cellular slime mold Dictyostelium discoideum is a social amoeba belonging to the neglected sixth kingdom of life, the Mycetozoa. In the labs of Rice University's Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, this unlikely little creature is fast becoming to social and evolutionary biology what the fruit fly has long been to developmental biology -- a model organism with which scientists can pry open nature's secrets.

As a mushroom hunter with a general interest mostly in edible mushrooms, I have come across many interesting types of fungus and related living things. The "slime molds" take an interesting position in biology that doesn't quite fall into the category of plants, but isn't quite considered an animal either.
Edited by - GeeMack on 04/15/2005 20:51:17
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  21:50:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

quote:

It's not plant or animal -- or bacteria or fungus, for that matter -- but it's living. Take a walk outside, and it's all around you. The cellular slime mold Dictyostelium discoideum is a social amoeba belonging to the neglected sixth kingdom of life, the Mycetozoa. In the labs of Rice University's Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, this unlikely little creature is fast becoming to social and evolutionary biology what the fruit fly has long been to developmental biology -- a model organism with which scientists can pry open nature's secrets.

As a mushroom hunter with a general interest mostly in edible mushrooms, I have come across many interesting types of fungus and related living things. The "slime molds" take an interesting position in biology that doesn't quite fall into the category of plants, but isn't quite considered an animal either.

I am now a slime mold fan. Yay slime mold!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  01:28:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

quote:

Yeah, but they're still slime molds, therefore Darwinism has been proven wrong again! Fie on Darwin's silly, religious philosophy -- it's nothing but a theory; a blasphemous attempt to deny God under the guise of so-called "science!" :sneer:

Thanks, GeeMack for a very interesting and enlightening read. Slime molds rock!

I haven't done any mushroom hunting in too long a time, beyond a good sized and tasty puffball I rescued from the lawnmower last year.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.