Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 animal/plant at what point did the split occur?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  08:35:56  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
What point did the split between animal and plant life occur? What was the common ancestor of both? Are fungi considered seperate from both? if so when did they branch off?

it occured to me that a planet with only plant life could have a functioning ecosystem, was this the case, then animals turned up? or did the animal and plant kiingdoms evolve in parallel?

DARWIN 3:16
"The simple believeth every word." - Proverbs 14:15

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  09:00:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
From the available evidence, impossible to say in my opinion. This split took place long before either became land-dwelling; possibly dating back to the original abiogenesis (or creation, if one prefers).

Interesting question, though.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  09:10:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dik-Dik Van Dik

What point did the split between animal and plant life occur? What was the common ancestor of both? Are fungi considered seperate from both? if so when did they branch off?

it occured to me that a planet with only plant life could have a functioning ecosystem, was this the case, then animals turned up? or did the animal and plant kiingdoms evolve in parallel?

Tricky questions. What do you consider a plant? Do they have to be multicellular or do algae and such count? I'm pretty sure though that fungi are seperate from both animals and plants.
That tree-of-life page that someone posted recently has some interesting information as well as lots of references
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  11:35:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Well there are plant-like and animal-like protists so it is thought that both animals and plants came from protists, which is very reasonable. But to get any more specific than that becomes tricky. There is Euglena which has an eye spot and chloroplasts. It can detect where light is and move towards it, or it can "eat" other microorganisms.

As for plants living by themselves, I'm not certain but I don't think they can. Although they do give out some CO2, it is not much as they take in for photosynthesis. So overtime, O2 would build up (produced by photosynthesis) and there would be less and less CO2.

When this earth first started, the atmosphere had a high amount of CO2 in it. When life developed, soon photosynthetic cells started developing. The earliest one (I think) that we know of was cyanobacteria. Overtime, the concentration of O2 built up and aerobic life evolved. This was way before plants and animals existed.

Just a side note: Why does MS Word not recognize protists or cyanobacteria? Is this the same for anyone else?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

bloody_peasant
Skeptic Friend

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  07:21:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bloody_peasant a Yahoo! Message Send bloody_peasant a Private Message
According to genetic and molecular data fungi are more closely related to animals which might be also somewhat related to the fact they are both heterotrops as opposed to autotrophs like plants.

http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Eukaryotes

A kinda new concept within biology is domains which is higher than kingdoms. Accordingly there are 3 domains, prokaryotes, archae, & eukaryotes.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  02:24:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss

quote:
Originally posted by Dik-Dik Van Dik

Tricky questions. What do you consider a plant? Do they have to be multicellular or do algae and such count? I'm pretty sure though that fungi are seperate from both animals and plants.
That tree-of-life page that someone posted recently has some interesting information as well as lots of references

Ahem...that beskep posted.

If you start above the plant/mammal split you can follow it branch by branch until you come to the split. The web site is very detailed. It took me 10s of pages to get all the way to homosapien.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds.