Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  02:18:23  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I took my son and a batch of his friends to see Kung Fu Hustle. It was hilarious. There is a bit of blood and a flying head or two so use your judgment with the little ones. But it's definitely a movie to see. I just loved it.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  16:09:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I will most definitely take my girlfriend to the theatre to see it. Both of us have had martial arts training, and especially enjoy well choreographed fighting-scenes.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Shacal
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  16:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Shacal a Private Message
You're absolutely right!
I just saw it this weekend and its great. I love the mix dead-serious moments and absurb, over-the-top scenes. I would also recommend it.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that we have accomplished it"
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  17:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Well, it's not the stupidest movie I've ever seen, but it's the stupides movie for which I ever sat the duration.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  01:25:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Well, it's not the stupidest movie I've ever seen, but it's the stupides movie for which I ever sat the duration.

You just have no sense of humor. Perhaps you missed the satire?
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  02:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Perhaps you missed the satire?

I hope I missed something.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 05/05/2005 02:20:05
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  01:05:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Maybe you had to be there with a group of 16 yr olds?
Edited by - beskeptigal on 05/06/2005 01:06:39
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  01:30:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

quote:

Maybe you had to be there with a group of 16 yr olds?

A gaggle of Sixteen-year-olds! Oy veh! That would add some atmosphere to the flick, at least for this old curmudgeon. :cring:

Kungfu stuff is not generally my cup of hemlock, but I just might check this one out.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  02:24:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It wasn't your father's Kung Fu. It was pure satirical + visually artistic comedy.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  03:05:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

It wasn't your father's Kung Fu. It was pure satirical + visually artistic comedy.

Maybe I thought it was too close to the real thing to be satire, I don't know.

I generally love silliness, but this just seemed too silly.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  05:42:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Note to self: Don't go to the movies with *anybody* from SFN.
(edited to add: Except Paulos)

I'm still waiting for the thread on the brilliance of Ishtar...
Edited by - Renae on 05/06/2005 06:14:47
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  06:40:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
A thread like that would create an anomaly capable of destroying the universe.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  08:02:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Note to self: Don't go to the movies with *anybody* from SFN.
(edited to add: Except Paulos)

Aw c'mon. We're really very nice people at the movies, only occasionally pouring soda pop from the balcony and farting loud enough to drown out the dialoge.

What is it, this brillent Ishtar of which you speak?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  14:30:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Maybe I thought it was too close to the real thing to be satire, I don't know.

I generally love silliness, but this just seemed too silly.

What? The sequential referral to each new character's forte with the comment, "I didn't think [xyz mythical kung fu move] was real" didn't strike you as satire? It was hilarious. The big hair rollers and the megaphone blasting wife? The couples' Las Vegas style tacky attire? The speedy chases?

Silly satire for sure.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  14:33:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Ishtar

You have peaked my interest. I shall rent it this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  19:49:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Hmmm... That comment of mine was actually supposed to prompt you to start a thread on whatever sort of movie you find is not "cinematic torture." All we know is what kind of movies you hate, Renae. There may be others here besides Paulos who share at least some of your tastes, but you may never know if you make people guess.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.