General Skepticism
 Headline abuse, telepathy is real!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  10:40:36  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7656021/

Aholes talking about empathy but the headline is "Some scientists say humans can read minds" Makes me want to vomit.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  11:27:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Aholes talking about empathy but the headline is "Some scientists say humans can read minds" Makes me want to vomit.

One cannot help but notice that none of the "some scientists" are named nor are any reviewed papers quoted. Until such is produced, I will be inclined to think that it is just more, media bullshit; probably an over-paid reporter adding a meaning to study on an entirly different subject.

On a related note however, we are all expert cold-readers. It is something that we do every day and sometimes it is uncanny just how accurate we can be.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  11:45:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

One cannot help but notice that none of the "some scientists" are named nor are any reviewed papers quoted. Until such is produced, I will be inclined to think that it is just more, media bullshit; probably an over-paid reporter adding a meaning to study on an entirly different subject.

Professor Giacomo Rizzolatti of the university in Parma, Leonardo Fogassi, and Vittorio Gallese.

Its really just a specialized neuron that fires either when you do an action or you see someone else doing an action. Don't let the title fool you, its a pretty interesting article.

More information from wiki

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 04/28/2005 11:48:27
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  12:30:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
No, no, no! It is mind reading!

And you too, can be a mind reader! all you got to do is buy the right machine, and know a little about electronics:
quote:
hello, i am selling what i believe to be a mind reading machine built by Dr. J. S. Strauss in the year 2282. After finding the time machine and the shrinking machine in my house i started to think what other stuff might be hidden away in my home. So i started searching from top to bottom and thats when i found the mind reading machine. It was hidden in a very tight corner of my attic and was wrapped in a old bed sheet, covered with dirt. With a wet paper towel it cleaned up very nice (see pictures).

The machine is made out of copper, metal, and plastic. Now, I wouldnt think that plastic would still be around in the year 2282, but i guess it still is. The mind reading machine does not work from what i could tell, but some one who knows electronics might be able to figure it out. I had my friend wear the head peice and i pushed on some buttons, but we just could not get it to work. We only know how to work on cars, this electronic stuff from the future is hard for us to understand, so thats why i am selling the mind reading machine....its why im selling off all of these inventions that i have found.

Oh dear, oh dear...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  12:37:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Wow, that is disturbingly hilarious.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  16:28:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
That's awesome.

I had to get up and walk away from my computer I was laughing so hard.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  20:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

No, no, no! It is mind reading!
Many, many years ago, the company I worked for (high-tech, lots of electronics) received a letter from a person who claimed to have developed thought-transmission technology (addressed "to whom it may concern"!!!). The letter was widely circulated around the office. Lots of chuckles. I've still got a copy of it around here, somewhere. As soon as I get a whole month off work to go through the piles of crap here, perhaps I'll post it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.