Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Pseudoscience
 Terry Schievo and the Global Conscienous Project.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  05:29:00  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's a project that Princton University is currently running, don't ask me why. Anyone here could easily predict the results.
quote:
As I write this, Terry Schiavo is still alive. By the time you read it, it is probably that she will be dead. The struggle over whether to keep her alive has been dominating the news recently. The moral and ethical questions involved in the case are not ones that I can say anything about from a skeptical viewpoint. Rational, scientifically-minded people can disagree on whether she should be kept alive.

However, there is one aspect of the case that caught the attention of the skeptic within me, in part because it seemed to parallel another item that was in the news recently.

The Global Consciousness Project is an ongoing experiment being conducted by Princeton University. The basic idea is that the combined mental processes of everyone on the planet forms a "global consciousness" and that this global consciousness might in some way be detectable.

Found it over on Skeptic's News. An interesting read.

[Moved to the Pseudoscience folder - Dave W.]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  06:19:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
How do you know when a spike is statistically significant? Its actually more probably for 1s and 0s to be generated with long strings of 1s and 0s rather than a equal number of both (think about it).

I am too lazy to do the math myself.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  10:31:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Direct link to the Global Consciousness Project.

It's pretty bad. Some selected quotes:
The Global Consciousness Project, also called the EGG Project, is an international and multidisciplinary collaboration of scientists, engineers, artists and others...

The purpose of this project is to examine subtle correlations that appear to to reflect the presence and activity of consciousness in the world. The scientific work is careful, but it is at the margins of our understanding. We believe our view may be enriched by a creative and poetic perspective...

[T]he goal is to see interconnection as real & creative mind as magical...
But here's the best part:
[A] study of apparent patterns that should not exist in truly random sequences...
Yeah. "Should not exist." Of course, in a truly random sequence which runs an infinitely long time, every possible pattern will be seen, so how can they say that any particular pattern they see shouldn't have been seen? By misapplying statistical tests, of course, just like the argument that life is too improbable to have come about without help.

I think the "artists and others" are driving this project, with the scientists and engineers being dragged along to do the math. Or, they may be scientists and engineers with no training in the appropriate field(s), like the vast majority of "ID theorists."

Check out the results page. It's unfortunate that they chose red for "significant" events and a pink for those events which weren't significant, but deviated in the "predicted direction," 'cause it sure makes it look like there are a lot more "hits" than there really are.

Oh, the blackout in the Northeast in 2003? No significant response, even if you only count the "EGGs" in the northeast (an invalid experimental methodology, nevermind their claims that the work is "careful").

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  13:48:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
".....All lies and jest.
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest....."

Yeh, pretty poor science, if indeed it can be called science.

It sort of reminds me of the various psychic claims. They tout their success', few that there are, yet exactly none of them predicted the recent tsuanmi nor 9-11. If I were a TV talk show host (and Hastur forbid that I should sink to such a low estate) and had one in my clutches, the first thing I'd ask would be what's up with those whopping misses? And the conversation would go downhill from there...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds.