Jamie's School Dinners
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  07:40:29  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
4 part series. It just finished airing here in Aus. Interesting show. I found it very bizarre that a quality chef can cook some quality food for a school and all the kids want are "Turkey Twizzlers". One part I found particularly disturbing was an interview with a doctor. She/He (I can't recall) said, that the rubbish they are feeding British school kids, is making so many constipated, that some of them eventually end up vomiting faeces.

Sorry to have spoilt any appetites.

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  08:09:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

4 part series. It just finished airing here in Aus. Interesting show. I found it very bizarre that a quality chef can cook some quality food for a school and all the kids want are "Turkey Twizzlers". One part I found particularly disturbing was an interview with a doctor. She/He (I can't recall) said, that the rubbish they are feeding British school kids, is making so many constipated, that some of them eventually end up vomiting faeces.

Sorry to have spoilt any appetites.

They aired this in Sweden some weeks ago.
Scary but interesting series.
I hear that he has succeeded in getting Blair to add the funds needed.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  13:23:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
is making so many constipated, that some of them eventually end up vomiting faeces.

I believe Cartman did that on South Park, however his experiment involve shoving food items into his rectum, and sort of reversing the direction of the digestive tract.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  16:52:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
I believe Cartman did that on South Park, however his experiment involve shoving food items into his rectum, and sort of reversing the direction of the digestive tract.

Yeah. They were all crapping out of their mouthes and shoving food up the other end.

There was even a scene where they had Martha Stewart do it with a whole turkey....

Very gross episode, but funny.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  12:12:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
I watched it too. I can't believe I sometimes complained about our school dinners (in Sweden, that is) because compared to what they were served in that British school, we got some very very good food.

The reason these kids would rather eat the rubbish they got every day was probably because they were used to it. Those weird turkey things and lousy burgers and french fries to everything - even pizza if I heard correctly.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  14:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
If a child or adult for that matter is vomiting feces, I'd say someone was oblivious to a very ill child in the days prior. It's hard to believe.

For said symptom to occur one would need to have complete or nearly complete intestinal blockage for some time. In the meantime one would be vomiting bile for days.

I need more information to lose my skepticism over that claim.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  07:36:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigalFor said symptom to occur one would need to have complete or nearly complete intestinal blockage for some time. In the meantime one would be vomiting bile for days.

Well they had intestinal blockage for some time. I think they are quite aware of what is happening but all they feed their kids are "Turkey Twizzlers" and other MRM products. Indeed that was all the kids would eat.

Anyway, I believe the DVD is out (9th May). At least in the UK. Rent it. Its an interesting show.
Go to Top of Page

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  18:41:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
Some of these kids turned their noses up at proper fish but were delighted to eat fish fingers. For me this has to come down to the parents. I know some people work hard and don't have much time, but if you slap down fish fingers and chips for dinner or some other freezer food every night, your kids are never gonna learn to appreciate good food.

DARWIN 3:16
"The simple believeth every word." - Proverbs 14:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.