New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  10:32:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Of interest in Bill's article is his claim that the evolution lawyer in the Scopes trial dodged the chance to be cross-examined himself. Anyone know anything about that?

If what I have read on it is correct and my memory in working order, the lawyer did not dodge it. His testimony was merely put off for a day or so. Dembski is lying again. He does that a lot.
Would you have any idea where I could find more information to verify this? What books, or websites? I'd like to find out for sure, for obvious reasons.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  14:46:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

Would you have any idea where I could find more information to verify this? What books, or websites? I'd like to find out for sure, for obvious reasons.
Ironically, Ig, the answer to your question can be found in the PT Thread you linked to. Specifically, comment #29752, which contains a couple of links, one to a huge Scopes bibliography. The first link there, by the way, is for the complete transcripts as a $7 eBook, but Googling can find partial transcripts, like this one.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  23:32:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Of interest in Bill's article is his claim that the evolution lawyer in the Scopes trial dodged the chance to be cross-examined himself. Anyone know anything about that?

If what I have read on it is correct and my memory in working order, the lawyer did not dodge it. His testimony was merely put off for a day or so. Dembski is lying again. He does that a lot.

Oops! I think I've made a mistake. I read that, I thought, during the first Kansas song & dance, but couldn't find it. As it turns out, Bryan was called to the stand as an expert witness on the Bible. He could have and should have refused, but did not.

Thus, should one do a review before making a statement! :embarrassed:
quote:
On the seventh day of trial, Raulston asked the defense if it had any more evidence. What followed was what the New York Times described as "the most amazing court scene on Anglo-Saxon history." Hays asked that William Jennings Bryan be called to the stand as an expert on the Bible. Bryan assented, stipulating only that he should have a chance to interrogate the defense lawyers. Bryan, dismissing the concerns of his prosecution colleagues, took a seat on the witness stand, and began fanning himself.

Darrow began his interrogation of Bryan with a quiet question: "You have given considerable study to the Bible, haven't you, Mr. Bryan?" Bryan replied, "Yes, I have. I have studied the Bible for about fifty years." Thus began a series of questions designed to undermine a literalist interpretation of the Bible. Bryan was asked about a whale swallowing Jonah, Joshua making the sun stand still, Noah and the great flood, the temptation of Adam in the garden of Eden, and the creation according to Genesis. After initially contending that "everything in the Bible should be accepted as it is given there," Bryan finally conceded that the words of the Bible should not always be taken literally. In response to Darrow's relentless questions as to whether the six days of creation, as described in Genesis, were twenty-four hour days, Bryan said "My impression is that they were periods."

Bryan, who began his testimony calmly, stumbled badly under Darrow's persistent prodding. At one point the exasperated Bryan said, "I do not think about things I don't think about." Darrow asked, "Do you think about the things you do think about?" Bryan responded, to the derisive laughter of spectators, "Well, sometimes." Both old warriors grew testy as the examination continued. Bryan accused Darrow of attempting to "slur at the Bible." He said that he would continue to answer Darrow's impertinent questions because "I want the world to know that this man, who does not believe in God, is trying to use a court in Tennessee--." Darrow interrupted his witness by saying, "I object to your statement" and to "your fool ideas that no intelligent Christian on earth believes." After that outburst, Raulston ordered the court adjourned. The next day, Raulston ruled that Bryan could not return to the stand and that his testimony the previous day should be stricken from evidence.

Bryan was unable to make his closing speech due to Darrow asking for and recieving a guilty verdict so that the case could go to the Tennesee Supreme court, which was the point of the whole thing to start with. That brought the trial to a close with Bryan, for all practical purposes, winning the case for the prosecution.

Thus, Dempski's whine still sucks Kool-Aid. Bryan never intended to call Darrow; rather he wanted to make a statement that would have made no difference at all to the outcome, whatever it's eloquence.
quote:
The trial was nearly over. Darrow asked the jury to return a verdict of guilty in order that the case might be appealed to the Tennessee Supreme Court. Under Tennessee law, Bryan was thereby denied the opportunity to deliver a closing speech he had labored over for weeks. The jury complied with Darrow's request, and Judge Raulston fined him $100.

William Jennings Byran was to die in his sleep some six days later.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ooh_child

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  15:58:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ooh_child a Private Message
I saw today that Reuters news service picked up on this story, so I went to DI's site & found the expected spin:

“Darwinian scientists showed contempt for science and the citizens of Kansas by refusing to appear before the State School Board,” said Dr. Jonathan Wells, a biologist at the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture. “Why won't Darwinists defend biological and chemical evolutionary theory and answer questions posed by their scientific critics? What is it that they're afraid of? If they are so sure they are right, they should have the courage to be cross-examined.”

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2570&program=News&callingPage=discoMainPage

MHB
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  16:39:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Wells is so full of crap. Again, every single time these issues have come before a Federal court, evolution's backers have been cross-examined and carried the day. And Wells also knows that the Kansas Board of Education didn't like the majority science standards, and so set up the "hearings" to do exactly as they did: give a soapbox to evolution deniers and "justify" the BoE's pre-ordained decision to disregard the science.

Of course, none of these facts matter to Wells, who's doing nothing but putting political spin on his own black eye. It is unbelievable that so many Christians back this sinner and others like him. Or, maybe it's not. Sigh.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  09:08:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Thanks to the vigilance of the folks at the Panda's Thumb, I learned today that 308 pages of transcripts of the "Kangaroo Kourt" hearings are now available.

There is some amazing stuff in there.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  13:13:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Jonathon Wells
quote:
reationist Jonathan Wells, an intelligent-design advocate affiliated with the Discovery Institute, has written a book entitled Icons of Evolution, which states that some of the best-known evidences for evolution -- such as the peppered moths, the Miller-Urey abiogenesis experiment, and the finches of the Galápagos islands -- are false, fraudulent or misrepresented in college-level textbooks. Articles found here refute Wells' book and demonstrate that the traditional, mainstream-science-supporting interpretations of these "icons" are correct.

Wells is little different from the rest of the ID blithers, and thourghly dishonest. He prostitutes his science for myth, his ethics for a bastardized version of his religion.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  23:21:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Apparently this bit of stupid-fundamentalist drama isn't quite over.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8235272/

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  02:03:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Posted by Kil:
quote:
Unfortunately, how the board would vote, as has been pointed out, was already decided before the hearings. So the testimony didn't matter. The above reply to my letter to Kathy Martin, a Kansas Board of Education member, shows exactly where they are coming from. They really do believe that the scientific community is suppressing the evidence for ID, or at the very least, supressing fatal flaws in the theory of evolution. Apparently, they wouldn't know what makes a legitimate theory if it hit them over the head.

And I agree. The standards will be changed as orginally planned. This makes the whole thing mere wheel-spinning; a tempest in a chamber pot.

But take heart; as stated, this ain't over by a long chalk. In the next several months, a year perhaps, we will be further amused by the school board ducking the sure-to-come, public backlash when parents realize that their children are being taught barely enough science to qualify them to attend clown college.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  08:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The Talk.Origins Archive now has a nice, indexed version of the Kansas hearing transcripts. Much easier to read, in my opinion, than the original PDF files.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  11:00:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2005/10/nas_and_nsta_de.html

Seems that two national groups who put together school cirricula have specifically told the Kansas BOE that if they decide to go ahead with their plans to subvert science education, then they can't use any of the NAS or NSTA standards. Given that Kansas' science standards run over 100 pages, it'll take quite some time to eliminate all copyrighted materials from them, meaning they may not get implemented until after the next school board elections (at which point, one hopes the new board members will undo the creationists' folly, anyway).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  11:34:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I tossed my ironey meter years ago. Was spending too much time fixing it's blown circutes every time some creationist opened his mouth.

So Dembsky wants to subpoena scientists, does he? One must ask: how many and which ones? And how many will be named, "Steve?"

The guy is a cretin who is now talking just to hear the echo between his ears.

On a vaguely related note, I've read that the Discovery(?) Institute has a 4 million dollar annual budget and Talk Orgins is scuffling along on something less than four grand. There's a moral there, I think....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.