Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Media Issues
 Double Standard for Christian Terrorists?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  12:53:16  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
http://newstandardnews.net/alivewires/liberty/content/?show_item=1740

Double Standards in Effect
Eric Rudolph is a Christian fundamentalist. Yet the same media outlets that love to point out when a terrorist is Muslim almost universally failed to note Rudolph's extremist Christian worldview. I ran a Google News search for "Eric Rudolph" and turned up about 4,100 results. But when you add the word "Christian" to that search, and the results drop to just 81 stories.

By way of comparison, a search for "Zacarias Moussaoui" -- the so-called 20th 9/11 hijacker -- already garners about 3,870 results (his guilty plea is far more recent), but add terms like "Muslim," "Islam" and "Arab" to the search, and you find about 83 stories noting Moussaoui's religion or ethnicity. And I would venture a guess that if you asked the average American the extreme version of which religious ideology drove the 9/11 hijackers, vs. which one drove the Olympic bomber, the gap would be drastic. In fact, probably a number of people would say Rudolph was Muslim...

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  14:11:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
A lot of stuff I've seen about him in the media doesn't even call him a terrorist. Also, media coverage of Timothy McVeigh was the same, leaving out adjectives like terrorist, Christian, white supremicist...

trish
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  23:35:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
81/4,100
vs
83/3,870

I'm not sure those numbers are all that statistically significant. Am I reading this right?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.