Yes another human killed by religion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  07:04:26  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Human rights activists have expressed their anger over the killing of a man in the North West Frontier Province by villagers on alleged charges of blasphemy after extremist clerics issued a decree declaring him an "infidel".

Around 400-500 villagers pelted stones at the victim, who hid himself in a cave only to be shot dead later, in the remote town of Spin Khak in Nowshehra, near the city of Peshawar on Wednesday.

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1084952.cms

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  07:25:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Arm yourself for pre-emptive self defence against religious extremists...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  23:51:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Ashiq Nabi, in his 30's, was a labourer and accused of desecrating Holy Quran after a row with his wife who had brought the Holy Quran to make her husband swear on.
Do you think he flushed it?

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  00:41:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It makes you think though, of how much religious freedom we have. Pages of the Bible have been used to roll cigarettes by soldiers and sailors, and by prisoners, and still might be. Using Prince Albert pipe tobacco, it made a pretty good smoke and I don't recall anyone getting upset over it.

This incident proves once again that religion is the greatest evil our species has ever inflicted upon itself. The simple fact that idiots desecrating the Koran at Gitmo can cause such an uproar proves the point (although I'm reading that the uproar was already in progress well beforehand).

I've forgotten which of the American Taliban stated that we can have freedom of religion but not from religion. In a way, he was right. The recent ID absurdity in KS demonstrates that no matter how you ignore the hymns, homilies, and threats of hellfire, you still can't escape it's fallout.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/20/2005 00:49:15
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  01:10:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I've forgotten which of the American Taliban stated that we can have freedom of religion but not from religion. In a way, he was right. The recent ID absurdity in KS demonstrates that no matter how you ignore the hymns, homilies, and threats of hellfire, you still can't escape it's fallout.
"I strongly believe in the separation of church and state. But freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion, there is a better way."
-Al Gore, speech at a Salvation Army drug rehabilitation center in Atlanta, Georgia, May, 1999, quoted from AANEWS #808 by American Atheists, August 28, 2000

"The Constitution promises freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. We are, after all not just another nation, but 'one nation under God.'"
-Joseph Lieberman, campaign speech at Notre Dame University on October 24, 2000, quoted from American Atheists, link

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  02:10:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:

"I strongly believe in the separation of church and state. But freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion, there is a better way."
-Al Gore, speech at a Salvation Army drug rehabilitation center in Atlanta, Georgia, May, 1999, quoted from AANEWS #808 by American Atheists, August 28, 2000

"The Constitution promises freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. We are, after all not just another nation, but 'one nation under God.'"
-Joseph Lieberman, campaign speech at Notre Dame University on October 24, 2000, quoted from American Atheists, link

Is there a point to quoting these particular men? The politically correct statement from these guys, if the above quotes are correct, of no freedom from religion would have just been them pandering for votes. The claim we are not free from religion is just another made up marketing line intended to slant some reality in a way the Christian fanatics would like to see it slanted. The actual words are, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Here's a good source including the testimony of the Constitution framers as they made their decisions.

All the recorded references to the religion clauses during the drafting of the Bill of Rights by the First Congress

While Congress can't stop you from practicing your religion, the idea that half of the equation means it's OK to have religion in public schools, the usual target of today's 'not freedom from claims' ignores the first half of the sentence.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 05/20/2005 02:13:03
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  02:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Is there a point to quoting these particular men?
How about the preceding post?
quote:
The politically correct statement from these guys, if the above quotes are correct, of no freedom from religion would have just been them pandering for votes.
The source : Positive Atheism's Big List of Quotations
Maybe Dubya have also just been "pandering for votes"

-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  00:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Is there a point to quoting these particular men?
How about the preceding post?...
Oh, I get it, the American Taliban thing.
quote:

Maybe Dubya have also just been "pandering for votes"

Of course Dubya only panders for votes. His handlers won't let him say anything that doesn't pander. He made too much of an idiot of himself whenever he didn't have a script to follow. Notice how the occasional messed up question by a nervous plant in those 'town meetings' gets a response that sounds like Dubya went on with the script and failed to notice or just couldn't react fast enough to the questioner/commenter's misstep?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  02:36:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Gore and Liberman came up with that, huh? I'd thought it was one of the Republican fanatics sucking up to their voter base.

Ah well, the quote stands, none the less.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  04:50:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
How insecure are these people about their beliefs if they can't take some criticism? If they're so sure they're right, then surely the truth about it will be revealed sooner or later? Most religions have had hundreds of years of time to make it happen, I'm sure it will come any day now...

Oh, and if they want the epithet "infidel" to be so bad and shameful, perhaps they should go about another approach - this one is not working.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  05:18:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:

I'm starting to suspect that people simply want some things to be true, and therefor it's important to teach those things as if they were true in any way. The only arguments these fools have are usually feeble attempts at discrediting evolution, or to appeal to the moral standards or something. I don't think they care what is actually true or real, what they want is to promote their own philosophical and moral stance. God must exist to them, or things are going all to hell. Therefor, to avoid things to go to hell one must believe.

The problem is that they don't know that science is not just another religion that one can choose, or that it is on equal merits as religions. Therefor they think that science must make statements about morals and ethics. Evolution means we can behave like any animal, in any way we choose. They don't know what science is, and that's one of the problems with these people. They don't know that science is about describing and explaining the natural world, no matter what it's like, and that morals and ethics must come from ourselves.

If another religion was dominant in the Western world, we would probably have people that fully believe some other creation myth to be true. Only when we get away from religion will these problems be solved.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Edited by - Maverick on 05/21/2005 05:20:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.