Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  19:54:49  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7904332/

And a link to the actual Science article.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/1112286

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  04:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Can you post the Science article or provide a user name and password to read it?
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  12:14:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Can't post the entire article for copyright reasons, and I'm not posting my Science acct info on the web. It is a paid subscription, and I'd kinda like to maintain control of my own account.

The article briefly describes the creation of several human embryonic stem cell lines using somatic cell nuclear transfer into donated oocytes.

(in layman's terms)
They took the nucleus of a skin cell and transplanted it into the nucleus of an unfertilized egg, and grew it into an embryo to establish a line of stem cells in culture.

The idea being that any tissue grown from these cells would not be rejected by the donor of the skin cell, because it would essentially be cloned tissue.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  15:08:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
Has anybody heard of this research?

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/03/21/australia.stemcell/

I have always been told that adult stem cells cannot be used as effectively as embryonic stems cells. I admittedly do not know enough to know if this could be a replacement for embryonic stem cells. Shouldn't this be in the discussion more in the US about stem cell research?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  16:27:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
I have always been told that adult stem cells cannot be used as effectively as embryonic stems cells.

Basically true. We know that the embryonic stem cells eventually become every type of tissue.

The issue with adult stem cells is that they are typically tissue specific. Some have been shown to differentiate into more than one type of tissue. The benefit of using adult stem cells is obviously the rejection factor, but the Korean team has probably overcome that (with regard to hESCs) with the success of their somatic cell nuclear transfer technique.

It is important research, and the news story is encouraging. I think that it is a pretty bold statement to say that they may have eliminated the need for hESC research however.

The acute politicization of this topic doesn't contribute to open discourse about it.

I did notice a that the news article fails to reference the name of the journal in which this study has been published, which is not a good sign. (meaning that it may not have been published in a journal)

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  17:52:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8061078/

This guy rocks!

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  04:49:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Heh, here's the real reason that there will be little if any funding for stem cell research:
quote:
Subject: Why are Republicans against federal money for stem cell research?

They're afraid the Democrats will use it to grow a spine. (ba-da-boom)

Neil the comedian

Saw it on Bartcop.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.