Gamer's Manifesto
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  16:03:17  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
It's funny because it tells it like it is!

Gamer's Manifesto

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  18:00:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
The only thing I disagree with in that is starting with large guns. I like starting off with almost nothing and having to work your way up. For example, I thought Half-Life 2 had a great intro, where you had no weapons at all and could only run from the bad guys. Although I do admit that I hate getting the best weapons only right before the game is over. You should have all the weapons by either the 1/2 or 3/4 mark in the game play.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

bloody_peasant
Skeptic Friend

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  06:38:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bloody_peasant a Yahoo! Message Send bloody_peasant a Private Message
Very good and very true in many regards, I also like the mention of different genres. It seems like FPS games dominate the market too much with lots of bad ones, but there are some very good ones (Half-life for instance). I still remember beating Wolfenstein 3D >:-D before moving on to Doom.

RTS games were fun and so are the numerous more sim like games, but even that genre is getting worn out.

I really like the Thief series of games because it really was a different genre, unique and different than most games. A lot of sneaking and a really good engine for doing it that only seems to have gotten better with the latest XBox version.

Does anyone remember the old Ultima games like V and before? I remember playing V on my Commodore and it was extremely fun and very time consuming. It seemed really wide open, you could basically type anything to anybody, but if you said the right key words you would get what wanted. That seemed like a much better RPG than what passes as RPG's today.

I also had an old game for the Commodore called Elite that was quite fun. A predecessor for Wing Commander - Privateer no doubt. You was in essence a space smuggler and would takes goods from planet to planet includnig illegal contraband like drugs LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  06:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I used to play Elite on PC. Docking was hard.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bloody_peasant
Skeptic Friend

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  06:50:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bloody_peasant a Yahoo! Message Send bloody_peasant a Private Message
yeah the docking was a pain until you got the auto docking upgrade >:-D

Anyone remember the PC version of Blood Bowl? We played this and even had a league for a whole season. I was the elves, and I did really well at first, but eventually I had too many fatalities LOL. We got tired of the game's incompleteness as it seemed many features were left out and actually started designing our own blood bowl that never got beyond a crude working version with no special rules >:-D

Ahh the good old days.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  07:00:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
A fun read. This is my favorite part:

quote:
Instant-Failure Stealth Levels. Ack. This brings back horrible memories of a Goldeneye level where if you tripped an alarm, an infinite number of bad guys poured forth. We knew a man who failed that level 37 times, then got the Infinite Health cheat for it and came back. He intentionally tripped the alarm, the guards rushed out. Laughing maniacally, he proceeded to shoot those fuckers for four hours, killing 1,183 of them - 682 with groin shots - before his thumbs cramped up. Your game should not create this kind of bitterness.

I HATE stealth levels.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  07:11:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Getting the big guns has to follow the flow of the game. It would be illogical to have the weapons store room right next to the prison cell from which you escape when the game starts. And if you're dropping in with a parachute from high altitude, you're unlikely garrying a grenade launcher and 50 shells.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  07:51:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
His complaints about AI are good. But it should be recognised that Halo and probably some other games took a big step in the right direction.

DARWIN 3:16
"The simple believeth every word." - Proverbs 14:15
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  10:39:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I always thought Unreal Tournament AI was really good. On "God Mode", not only could the enemy obliterate me head on, most of the time I would lose the guy and he would somehow appear in back of me with just enough time for me to freak out while he dealt the crushing blow.

Hence why that game is no longer on my computer

If you can't beat 'em, uninstall them.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/27/2005 10:41:16
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  16:50:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I used to play Elite on PC. Docking was hard.

Yes it was. I played it a lot on C64. But after a while i developed a good technique for manual docking, and for positioning the ship for a quick auto-docking sequence. The C64 docking computer was rather unintelligent. To my delight, the Amiga version of Elite had a smarted docking computer that used my technique for docking.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  17:28:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Good article. I sent it to a few friends.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.