Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  19:34:21  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8291710/

Cosmos 1 heading for orbit Teusday.

Should be some interesting data generated by this.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  09:44:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Here is a little more info on the spacecraft and launch (3:45 pm EDT).

http://www.planetary.org/solarsail/

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  14:02:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.solarsail.org/video.html

Will be live video of the craft passing overhead, check the schedule.

First one is thursday.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  16:42:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8304717/

Doesn't look good at this point.....

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  23:38:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message

But now it looks better....

[/rollercoaster]

This project could have some significant implications if it works as predicted.

Robotic missions to nearby stars, for one.

(edit: apparently MSNBC just keeps updating the same page by changing the first couple paragraphs of the story.... heh. That is why the link is the same.)

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Edited by - Dude on 06/21/2005 23:39:54
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  06:44:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message

and the pendulum swings back....

now there was apparently a booster rocket failure....

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  21:42:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The Planetary Society has a blog for updates on this mission. They actually still seem hopeful that it made orbit. They're just fairly certain it's not the orbit it should be in.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  22:07:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Well, if they can't find the thing.... I hope they pick themselves up, get up and try again.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  00:50:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Well, if they can't find the thing.... I hope they pick themselves up, get up and try again.

I'm sure that they, or somebody, will. It's just too interesting an experiment to abandon over an initial failure. Perhaps the silver lining in this noxious cloud could be an improved launching system.

SF writers have put light sails to good use for generations. Larry Niven did a fair number of them, as I recall.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  08:25:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Its the cheap and poorly maintained Russian rockets that they used to launch....

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  12:00:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Its the cheap and poorly maintained Russian rockets that they used to launch....

Probably and unfortunatly, you are right. You get what you pay for, eh?

This morning, I read, but can no longer find, an article that claimed the werckage came down in Finland. Anyone hear anything about that?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  17:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
From Wikipedia:

quote:
Finally, at 10:30 PDT on June 22 (17:30 UTC), the Planetary Society issued a statement that "the Russian space agency (RKA) has made a tentative conclusion that the Volna rocket carrying Cosmos 1 failed during the firing of the first stage. This would mean that Cosmos 1 is lost," but data "might indicate that Cosmos 1 made it into orbit, but probably a lower one than intended. The project team now considers this to be a very small probability."

quote:

The craft would have been visible to the naked eye from most of the Earth's surface: the planned orbit has an inclination of 80°, so it would have been visible from latitudes of up to approximately 80° north and south.

So if it had a lower orbit, why can't people just look up and see if it is there?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  18:46:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
This morning, I read, but can no longer find, an article that claimed the werckage came down in Finland. Anyone hear anything about that?

That's the rumour I heard from a Finnish coworker late wednesday evening (Central European Time). But I couldn't find any confirmation of it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds.